Downhill vs Freeride vs Justride

dunndog

Eats Squid
Jesus this threads still going!?! All these classifications, they're cooked up by big brands you know. They hammer out terms such as freeride and all mountain to give themselves more markets to build genre specific products. so instead of being content with your 2 bikes, you need 5, because your 140mm dual sus am bike is too aggressive to ride xc but won't handle the massive drops of freeride and so on. Although as each of these riding slyles evolve they are legit, they pretty soon become massive grey areas and people just get back to riding with expression of what they want to do. It's happened in skiing, snowboarding skating, bmx and surfing and probably more. IMO unless you're competing or following a training program, you're freeriding.

zanus

Likes Dirt
Jesus this threads still going!?! All these classifications, they're cooked up by big brands you know. They hammer out terms such as freeride and all mountain to give themselves more markets to build genre specific products. so instead of being content with your 2 bikes, you need 5, because your 140mm dual sus am bike is too aggressive to ride xc but won't handle the massive drops of freeride and so on. Although as each of these riding slyles evolve they are legit, they pretty soon become massive grey areas and people just get back to riding with expression of what they want to do. It's happened in skiing, snowboarding skating, bmx and surfing and probably more. IMO unless you're competing or following a training program, you're freeriding.
This Guy just hit the spot

jthornton

Cannon Fodder
i think dh and free ride are both pritty even both full of adrenaline both great to watch and do but in the end any type of riding is great

Soda

Cannon Fodder
If I had a choice I'd live in the mountains, down 1 side a perfect road, and the other a rugged terrain while at home having both an indoor and outdoor park for stunts... I'd own them all and a few extra. If I could go back to my childhood I'd of picked a 'freeride/downhill' bike ... but alas, I don't and I can't, I live in the city with traffic. So therefore a short travel 'all mountain' bike is something that works well for me, convenient enough to take to trails, while useful on the road.. so I'm just going to put it down to time and place and I love them all...

chrishasabike

Likes Bikes
first whats justride? not nowing wat its is i reacon downhill is the best because it is farkin insane me myself not a downhiller tho butttt free ride is still prety mad but if you ask me..... north shore is the best :p

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
first whats justride? not nowing wat its is i reacon downhill is the best because it is farkin insane me myself not a downhiller tho butttt free ride is still prety mad but if you ask me..... north shore is the best :p
say what?... try again mate. A little more effort prehaps? :)

rhyshocking

Likes Bikes
i had a think about this the other day,
its so confusing.
if im riding a dh track and riding it fast.
yet i come across a jump and i have a spur of the moment urge to no-footer it or throw down an x-up or a bar spin etc where does this leave me?
im still riding down a designated dh track im just doing it how i want?
its an interesting thought.
i didnt mind the comment about how 'freeriding and dh are the same thing except on race days' unless your specifically trying to go as fast as is possible, what is the difference?

L1nDen

Likes Bikes
I really reckon that Freeride is a sweet type of riding but i just find Downhill riding so much better. It just feels so good flying down th hill hittin rocks and drops and stuff.. :D

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
wow this a new debate isnt it?,ok for the record both freeride and dh are
awesome but difference is when your downhilling your forced to comit
to any stunts or crash ,but the good thing is that youv'e hit them and moved
on so quickly that the fear factor is minimisd.freeride however can be slower
and you can sh it yourself bigtime as you have more time to think about
what your riding,there tends to be more scarier stuff freeriding(imo) but
then again maybe thats just my shore phobias coming through.freeride and
downhilling can be similar depending on what trails you ride but essentially
are two different things.