Downhillers smash themselves at 6 Hour Enduro

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Just a quick shout out to Aiden Wyber and Ryan Da La Rue. These two awesome riders came along to our 6 hour on the weekend at Forrest and proved that DH'ers can certainly ride "normal" bikes too.
They came a very credible 19th overall, and just outside the top 10 in the Male Pairs.
I chatted to them both over the course of the day, and whilst they were often a little shall we say "puffed" they were certainly enjoying themselves. I think they both discovered that enduro racing is a blast, and perhaps not quite as easy as some may think.
When we knew these guys were coming, we arranged the course in a close to all downhill as we could.

Whilst Ryan kept his look decidedly "DH", certainly my highlight of the day was seeing Aiden in full Lycra, XC helmet and even full on racing clip shoes. I'm sure you will all agree he cuts a "striking" figure :p

Might be a note to all DH riders that next time you see a 6 hour in your area, to give it a go... you might be surprised at how much fun you will have.

Aiden Wyber in Lycra!

Bodin

GMBC
whilst ryan kept his look decidedly "dh", certainly my highlight of the day was seeing aiden in full lycra, xc helmet and even full on racing clip shoes. I'm sure you will all agree he cuts a "striking" figure :p

{snip}

aiden wyber in lycra!
Strike a POSE!!! ;););)

dunndog

Eats Squid
'Puffed' is what happens to DHers at enduro events. 'Smashed' is what happens to xcenduro racers at DH events. Some perspective please!;)
Just goes to show, the barriers between dh and xc are coming down. If some of the best dh riders in the country are donning the lycra for a xc event, will we be seeing some more skilled, highly superiorly fittter xc guys entering dh events?

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
'Puffed' is what happens to DHers at enduro events. 'Smashed' is what happens to xcenduro racers at DH events. Some perspective please!;)
Just goes to show, the barriers between dh and xc are coming down. If some of the best dh riders in the country are donning the lycra for a xc event, will we be seeing some more skilled, highly superiorly fittter xc guys entering dh events?
^^^
What he said.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Hey normdouglas, was it you a few months back talking about entering a dh event and asking about bikes or models or something or was that someone else? If it was you, did you ever do it and how did you go? And have you bought a downhilla?

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Hey normdouglas, was it you a few months back talking about entering a dh event and asking about bikes or models or something or was that someone else? If it was you, did you ever do it and how did you go? And have you bought a downhilla?
I wanted to do the State DH series this year, but my new bike didn't arrive in time. I've got it now, and I've got a new Joplin seatpost and some "appropriate" tyres all ready to go.

I'll be looking out for the next event, and can't wait. I'll be the one on the terribly inappropriate Giant Trance Advanced SL (carbon) and taking the B and C lines.
Cheers

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Might be a note to all DH riders that next time you see a 6 hour in your area, to give it a go... you might be surprised at how much fun you will have.

Hey Normdouglas,

There's a few of us dh riders already giving the VIC Enduro Series a good go.
It's great fun, and would be good so see more of the guys and gals tagging along.

aceyone

Likes Dirt
Next round of the Enduro Series is up here in Albury... Sat 26th June. Bring the big bike too and recover from the enduro with a few cruisy laps of our other trails on Nail Can on the Sunday... Big bike or not, let me know and I'll take you for a tour.

OT

Likes Dirt
I wanted to do the State DH series this year, but my new bike didn't arrive in time. I've got it now, and I've got a new Joplin seatpost and some "appropriate" tyres all ready to go.

I'll be looking out for the next event, and can't wait. I'll be the one on the terribly inappropriate Giant Trance Advanced SL (carbon) and taking the B and C lines.
Cheers
The King of Ballarat series is starting soon, you could give that a go. Last time I rode at nerrina and blackhill the tracks were suitable for an AM type bike. The joplin seatpost won't help much, you will need the seat kept as low as it can go.

Most of the vic DH series tracks will be quite a challenge on your carbon trance. Pad up as much as you can and be prepared for a lot of over the bars trips! How much do you like your trance? It's not going to be in good shape after a full DH series.

How many of the DH tracks have you ridden? I'm curious to know how you think a joplin seatpost is going to help?

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
The King of Ballarat series is starting soon, you could give that a go. Last time I rode at nerrina and blackhill the tracks were suitable for an AM type bike. The joplin seatpost won't help much, you will need the seat kept as low as it can go.

Most of the vic DH series tracks will be quite a challenge on your carbon trance. Pad up as much as you can and be prepared for a lot of over the bars trips! How much do you like your trance? It's not going to be in good shape after a full DH series.

How many of the DH tracks have you ridden? I'm curious to know how you think a joplin seatpost is going to help?
I won't be going over the bars... that's for sure! As for the seat post... it allows me to not have to hack off a big chunk of one of my seatposts, just so I can get it lower. Basically I'm looking forward to a bit of gravity racing... but I'll be riding well within myself, and just having fun. You might be surprised to hear that not so many years ago, we would race DH and XC on the same day on the same bike, in the same Lycra! Anywho, I'm looking forward to it.

sharp

like a spoon
rode the bendigo 3 hour solo, was bloody hard, but fun! especially when you try and ride the xc bike like a dh bike :p