DPF regeneration

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have the misfortune to have had extensive DPF experience with my Subaru Outback.... but enough about me.

given your mileage, your DPF is likely clogged with ash rather than soot. Soot can be burned out via forced regen, ash needs to be mechanically or chemically cleaned. I recommend Western Filters in Blacktown for cleaning, they give you flow stats before and after, and have been doing this type of work for a long time.
I'm going to try and find somewhere where I can get it scanned and see how blocked it is. But a chemical clean would probably be worth it anyway

DMan

What was the outcome here @DMan ?
The van is going in for a forced regen next week. I've decided against a chemical clean as a couple of diesel mechanic friends reckon that it could just push the crap from one filter compartment to the next as the different medias of the DPF are inline and not able to be cleaned individually. The guy I'm going to also cleans truck DPFs but each compartment of the DPF pulls apart and is cleaned individually. He doesn't recommend it. But I also have an issue with "surging" at cruise speeds, especially when it's uphill. So that could be the EGR playing up too. So DPF to start...

Flow-Rider

Burner
The van is going in for a forced regen next week. I've decided against a chemical clean as a couple of diesel mechanic friends reckon that it could just push the crap from one filter compartment to the next as the different medias of the DPF are inline and not able to be cleaned individually. The guy I'm going to also cleans truck DPFs but each compartment of the DPF pulls apart and is cleaned individually. He doesn't recommend it. But I also have an issue with "surging" at cruise speeds, especially when it's uphill. So that could be the EGR playing up too. So DPF to start...
One would imagine that it will show a blockage on the cleaning machine as they measure the back pressure of the liquid going through the DPF before and after the clean, if it's already partly melted inside the DPF from overheating there wouldn't be much they can do with it in any case. I'd ask them if they're confident that the forced regen will not melt the DFP if it's overly blocked.

DMan

One would imagine that it will show a blockage on the cleaning machine as they measure the back pressure of the liquid going through the DPF before and after the clean, if it's already partly melted inside the DPF from overheating there wouldn't be much they can do with it in any case. I'd ask them if they're confident that the forced regen will not melt the DFP if it's overly blocked.
I'm not ruling out a chem clean. The guy I talked to with the chem clean gear was very confident that his machine could clean it up. If the forced regen, which is what Peougeot would do too, doesn't work I might look at it yet. Just means a trip to Toowoomba and a day off work. The guy looking at it looks has the latest Scan machine and is around the corner from me. He says he has a cleaner that he can try along with the forced regen. Goes in the sensor port I believe? I'll ask him though about melting before I drop the van off. He has done a few forced regens on cars though and said it bought them back.

goobags

Likes Dirt
My Amarok would surge up hills on WOT in third. Quite a common issue particularly when tuned, the wastegate needed adjustment as boost levels were fluctuating.

If it’s surging enough to the point of coming on and off boost then you might be increasing soot load. Much like when non-DPF vehicles come in boost there is a puff of black smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

My Amarok would surge up hills on WOT in third. Quite a common issue particularly when tuned, the wastegate needed adjustment as boost levels were fluctuating.

If it’s surging enough to the point of coming on and off boost then you might be increasing soot load. Much like when non-DPF vehicles come in boost there is a puff of black smoke.

It's at cruise not WOT if that means Wide Open Throttle? Around 2000rpm. Doesn't feel like the turbo boost. More like engine. It's like being in a boat where it gently surges forwards and backwards. Happens when you are trying to maintain a constant 100km/hr

goobags

Likes Dirt
It's at cruise not WOT if that means Wide Open Throttle? Around 2000rpm. Doesn't feel like the turbo boost. More like engine. It's like being in a boat where it gently surges forwards and backwards. Happens when you are trying to maintain a constant 100km/hr
To explain further, it was only noticeable when going up a relatively steep hill when wide open throttle was required to gain a small amount of speed. It’s it’s just maintaining speed then it’s not the same issue