Dreadlocks

dezza1994

Likes Dirt
Anyone know how i can make surfy looking dreadlocks?
I've got some surf wax to use. I'm going to make them at home.
Any tips before i start?

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you making them yourself? Im guessing you are...
Wear a beanie when you go to bed!
My mate's and I have done it, take's around 2-3 months, stick in there!!

dezza1994

Likes Dirt
Are you making them yourself? Im guessing you are...
Wear a beanie when you go to bed!
My mate's and I have done it, take's around 2-3 months, stick in there!!
Yes i'll be making them myself mate.. Going to twist them around and tease them and then put surfboard wax in them.. Will i have to wear a shower cap for a few days or is it alright to get them wet after you've put them in?

Staunch

Eats Squid
Just don't use shampoo or conditioner (although this will take a while, alot longer than the other suggestions)
Pretty much works for me, although my hair is a mop (or a squirrel nest according to all my mates) but I don't want dreadlocks so I cut em out.
I've got more a surfy look without the dreads...

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know how i can make surfy looking dreadlocks?
I've got some surf wax to use. I'm going to make them at home.
Any tips before i start?
Quickest and easiest way, surf everyday and neglect to wash your hair, gives me dreadies in about 2 weeks, add bees wax and to keep them 'in shape' you may have to use cotton the same colour as your hair, this ensures they all stay seperated etc, mate found out that using surf wax didn't treat him so well, it didn't really stick the hair together and it was a pain to get back out. But go nuts, how long is your hair? it needs to be deceptively long before you can get decent dreadies happening. But yeah from experience nothing beats the real thing, just get salty, teh salt seems to naturally bond your hair together.

dezza1994

Likes Dirt
I haven't washed my hair since mid December 08.. It got kind of a mop and messy/knotty and kind've dreaded look.. But it doesn't have actual dreads.. It is kind of long too.. Where can i get bees wax?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can get bees wax from most places that look after hair (ie. hairhouse warehouse, oh i feel so queer) and some super markets have it also, the IGA i used ot work at had it.

dezza1994

Likes Dirt
Okay mate.. I'll try take a look later.. What routine did you go through to form them?? Twist, Tease, Put wax in and tease again?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay mate.. I'll try take a look later.. What routine did you go through to form them?? Twist, Tease, Put wax in and tease again?
man I didn't do anything I let mine take their natural course, constant surfing and me drying salty hair just bonded them up pretty much by themselves, thought it would be fun to see what dreadies were like so i twisted them around a bit, I put pretty much no effort into mine, hence why they weren't the best haha, mates have used bees wax and it was ace, they pretty much went surfing for a week or so, then twisted it up, put cottona round to ensure shape surfed for another week or so, had them all salty and them rubbed teh bees wax in and went from there, after about a month or so they took out the cotton and let them run thier course, then around another month later they put the cotton back in to make sure they were shapped again, and it was much the same cycle putting in wax every few days, make note that for abour 3 months straight we just surfed pretty much.

Tizz--

Likes Dirt
This may sound stupid, but doesn't not washing your hair make you feel like a dirtbag. For me, if I don't wash it at least once a day, it just feels real greasy and itchy.
Awell I guess everyone's different.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Just don't use shampoo or conditioner (although this will take a while, alot longer than the other suggestions)
Pretty much works for me, although my hair is a mop (or a squirrel nest according to all my mates) but I don't want dreadlocks so I cut em out.
I've got more a surfy look without the dreads...
A good friend of mine had dreads, and she didnt want them after some time, so she conditioned them out (about 8 bottles of conditioner [YES EIGHT!])

getting dreads soon
love em, :D

dezza1994

Likes Dirt
This may sound stupid, but doesn't not washing your hair make you feel like a dirtbag. For me, if I don't wash it at least once a day, it just feels real greasy and itchy.
You just seem to get used to it mate.. It doesn't feel that bad.. I still use water on mine every day, just not shampoo and conditioner.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am a dirtbag..... but not washing my hair doesn't effect me, no, i've gone probably in excess of 7 months without washing it, you can still wet it with warm water and wash it out and what not, just no shampoo or conditioner, its really not that bad.

joelhein

Squid
thats because you have nits

Lorday

Eats Squid
On the whole hair topic: Your hair is DEAD, shampoo or condition won't bring it back to life. Don't believe the advertisments.

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
I am a dirtbag..... but not washing my hair doesn't effect me, no, i've gone probably in excess of 7 months without washing it, you can still wet it with warm water and wash it out and what not, just no shampoo or conditioner, its really not that bad.
A bit off topic sorry to the OP, but i might ask thi question and see if Karnige happens to have any advice.
I love not washing my hair, but after about 4-5 weeks, sometimes 1-2 weeks depending on weather and temperature, i get horrendous dandruff, does anyone else experience this? And is the only real solution to wash my hair? Becaue i love the dirty feel and look, but the whole, "My scalp is on my shoulders, wanna go out sometime?" doesnt really help me 9 times out of 10.