Dremel - better cutting discs?

udi

swiss cheese
Is there an option that'll make quick work of aluminium? The stock fibre cutoff wheels are pretty poor.
I figure the EZ-lock mandrel with "metal" wheel would be better, but will it actually make short work of aluminium or will it still take forever to cut while the tool gets really hot?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141456294478

I grabbed some cheap steel cored "diamond" cutting bits off ebay for now. I'm sure they're made of something else, but from youtube videos it looks like they cut better than the fibre discs and also don't break.

Appreciate any recommendations, even for non-cutting bits that work better than the stock items - as most attachments in the box are pretty useless.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
The EZ lock discs are the go. Check Bunnings, I got a kit from there that had about 30 discs of a few different types, and the EZ lock adapter for a few bucks more than the adapter alone.
Just need to be careful not to twist the disc at all while you're cutting.

stirk

Burner
Dremel is sooo yesterday.

To make your new headset fit into your frame first freeze the frame then use one of these bad boys, very good at grinding aluminium.

angle grinder.jpg

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find all cutoff discs nearly useless, the stock ones shatter and the metal ones sound amazing but achieve very little too. Its worse if you use the flexi attachment. I'll try the wax trick next time I'm installing a headset.

For general cutting/grinding I use a few tungten carbide burr bits, but they clog with alum very quickly, then you have to clean it out e.g. soak in some HCL.

So no, I dont like the dremel.

gregp

Likes Dirt
I’ve had a Dremel for a while and so far have found it either totally useless or too dangerous to use on every one of my projects to date.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
What are you actually trying to do? For home DIY most aluminium can be cut with wood working tools. eg. tungsten tip blade etc.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
What are you actually trying to do? For home DIY most aluminium can be cut with wood working tools. eg. tungsten tip blade etc.
Exactly, if you are cutting plate just a jigsaw with a timber cutting blade and a bit of wax on it will make short work of anything under 10mm.

T-Rex

Template denier
+1. A scroll saw, a hacksaw or a jigsaw would be my tool of choice for cutting any aluminium parts associated with a bicycle.

udi

swiss cheese
+1. A scroll saw, a hacksaw or a jigsaw would be my tool of choice for cutting any aluminium parts associated with a bicycle.
I was just born yesterday so I'm thankful for this enlightenment, unfortunately none of those tools will do the job required.

Have you figured out how a Fox 20mm axle works yet?

udi

swiss cheese
The EZ lock discs are the go. Check Bunnings, I got a kit from there that had about 30 discs of a few different types, and the EZ lock adapter for a few bucks more than the adapter alone.
Just need to be careful not to twist the disc at all while you're cutting.
Cheers, will have a look next time. Do the EZ lock discs still use a brittle core that can shatter, or is it metal?

I will update on how the cheap metal cutting discs go when they show up also.

sbr511

Likes Dirt
I bought a cheap version of a Dremel and use it very often. Ozito brand I think.
I even used it with installing my snorkel on my FJ Cruiser, had to relocate the indicator and found my holesaw blunt, sharpened it with the cheap Dremel.

The discs are cheap enough to burn through fairly quickly but if doing a huge job it may get pricey!

poita

Likes Dirt
Cheers, will have a look next time. Do the EZ lock discs still use a brittle core that can shatter, or is it metal?

I will update on how the cheap metal cutting discs go when they show up also.
I have used the EZ lock discs for a while. They haven't shattered (yet) like the stock discs (my eyes are grateful) but they aren't much chop compared to a proper grinder. To be honest I go for hand tools for cutting unless it's big enough to get the grinder on. I'm no genius, but I think the Dremel is just too small a tool and overheats really fast. Forever stopping to let it cool down, interspersed with needing to charge my cordless version.

T-Rex

Template denier
I was just born yesterday so I'm thankful for this enlightenment, unfortunately none of those tools will do the job required.
Well, there's six people in this thread advising you not to use a Dremel. Maybe if you provide us with a bit more detail on exactly the job you are trying to accomplish, we might be better able to advise you on the right tool. I raced cars for 10 years, I've spent a lot of hours and a lot of $$ on aluminium fabrication, and still got most of the tools. Including a Dremel.

PS: And the forks are all good now, thanks for your guidance there.

Last edited:

shakes

Likes Dirt
Curious as to what you are doing as well.

The little rotory tools are usually a high revolution and LOW pressure, ie take you time and don't lean on it and you wont have an issue.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The high rpm of a dremel is going to generate a lot of heat which will in turn cause the aluminium to "pick up" and build up on the cutting wheel , which then goes into snowball effect.

I'd suggest using a thin abrasive cutting disc on an angle grinder ( 4 or 5 inch) with some wax applied to the disc while spinning before you start to cut. When you feel it start to lose cutting ability , apply more wax to the disc. Avoid generating too much heat while cutting. Spraying crc or similar onto a metal (diamond tip) disc is also helpful but not as effective as wax on an abrasive disc.

Would be very helpful to know what you are trying to cut though.