Driving Question

st4ccer

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, i just sat the drivers test for my p's and failed because of speeding. The road we came onto is Old Dandenong for those who know of it. Anyways we turned onto it and there were no speed signs so i assumed that the speed was 60 as it use to be. WRONG! now its 50, and i failed. Now i know if the street is not marked with speed signs you must go 50, i admit that is my fault. But id like to bring up a case, because if you drive from old dandenong onto warrigal road, the speed is 60 even upto 70 at some points, yet there are no speed signs for at least 20 seconds, does this mean i must assume that the speed is 50 up until i see the right speed sign?

Any info would be great.

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the speed is 60 yet there are no speed signs for at least 20 seconds, does this mean i must assume that the speed is 50 up until i see the right speed sign?
Yes. Same as when your going on a 60 road and theres an 80 sign up ahead. It's 80, after the sign. Until you've passed the sign that signposts the speed limit, the speed limit from before applies. Therefore if its built up and theres no 60 signs, its 50 - until you PASS a 60 sign.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
come on, lets sue vicroads, for you not knowing how to drive a car and read signs.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
It could be worse. I have a mate who didnt even get out of VicRoads. Stalled it 3 times in the car park.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
How many times do you need to see the TV and roadside ads? If theres no signs and its an urban environment, assume its 50. Worst that can happen is you drive a bit slow for a km or something until you see a speed advisory sign; pretty good strategy in post-Bracks age Speedcameria.

st4ccer

Likes Bikes
I can read signs, and i can drive, just the last time i was on that road it was 60km. And since the roads still wide enough to fit two trucks and its got a golf course on one side, i simply assumed it would be the same speed. Im sorry im not perfect and that i dont pay attention to ads saying theyve changed a road speed to 50.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All I can say is bad luck mate. I failed my P's test first time around because I was doing 50km/h in a 40km/h school zone....on a pupil free day.

I almost cried.

st4ccer

Likes Bikes
well, we all learn from experience. Theres always a next time, and ill make sure i wont stuff up that time.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Yes. Same as when your going on a 60 road and theres an 80 sign up ahead. It's 80, after the sign. Until you've passed the sign that signposts the speed limit, the speed limit from before applies. Therefore if its built up and theres no 60 signs, its 50 - until you PASS a 60 sign.

i actaully thought its within 100 metres... if there is a 50 sign, then a school zone, that is only say 100 metres long, then another 50 zone, techinically you can not be fined speeding.

(second thoughts maybes its 50metres)

Last edited:

sawtell

All I can say is bad luck mate. I failed my P's test first time around because I was doing 50km/h in a 40km/h school zone....on a pupil free day.

I almost cried.

but if it was honestly a pupil free day, the signs here say 'school days', if it wasnt a proper school day, its not 40, same as with holidays.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can read signs, and i can drive, just the last time i was on that road it was 60km. And since the roads still wide enough to fit two trucks and its got a golf course on one side, i simply assumed it would be the same speed. Im sorry im not perfect and that i dont pay attention to ads saying theyve changed a road speed to 50.
you can't read and you shouldn't be on the road.
simple.
there is a bloody manual for that, and with any more drawings a 5 yo kid can figure it out.

sawtell

I can read signs,

Im sorry im not perfect and that i dont pay attention to ads saying theyve changed a road speed to 50.
the ad's, were just enforcine a law, in which you should have known to get yoru learners, in a un marked street, the speed is 50.

and dont they have to put up a sign saying 'changed speed limit' or somthing, if they change the speed of a road... If they did that, you clearly cant read signs, and they most likly took you that way to see if you are paying attention to what is around you... you werent you failed.

Try failing because some dick head was driving up the wrong side of the road, and you slammed your brakes on in a panic as he was comin for you, you then swereved on to the nature strip.. true story.

Tomas

my mum says im cool

I almost cried.
You shouldnt have. If it was a pupil free day specific to that school only, the fail. Public holiday or they're not not at school (holidays), your sweet.

To the guy who got done for speeding:
No hope of making any case whatsoever, regardless of the situation.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You shouldnt have. If it was a pupil free day specific to that school only, the fail. Public holiday or they're not not at school (holidays), your sweet.

To the guy who got done for speeding:
No hope of making any case whatsoever, regardless of the situation.
Yeah I was pretty pissed off. I knew the cunt was wrong, I could have easily punched him in the face. This dude was the type of guy which deserved a punch in the face. I'm sure his family would have disowned him at a young age because of his cuntishness.

And hows this for sexism, a girl from my class went for her P's just after me. I watched her pull out from the RTA, she entered a busy lane with no indicator, cut someone off then entered and left the roundabout without indicating. I asked her if she passed at school the follwing monday and it turns out she did.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I know Old Dandy road all too well. It's a shame you failed your test when a vast majority of people that use that road speed through the residential area as it drops from 70km/h to 60km/h
Like Sawtell said, there should have been signs displaying the altered speed limit as, like you mentioned it is usually a 60 or 70km/h zone.

Hopefully next time they'll take you towards Oakleigh instead of Heatherton as the road layout and speed signs are pretty good!

Oh and in answer to one of your questions yes you should assume 50km/h if you haven't seen a sign, they can't fail you for going a bit slower for a short time (if you are consistently too slow it may be risky). If they ask questions about your course of action just explain that you haven't seen a sign yet and are therefore assuming it is a 50km/h zone until you observe otherwise.

Good luck with the next try!

|Matt|

Banned
I know Old Dandy road all too well. It's a shame you failed your test when a vast majority of people that use that road speed through the residential area as it drops from 70km/h to 60km/h
Like Sawtell said, there should have been signs displaying the altered speed limit as, like you mentioned it is usually a 60 or 70km/h zone.

Hopefully next time they'll take you towards Oakleigh instead of Heatherton as the road layout and speed signs are pretty good!

Oh and in answer to one of your questions yes you should assume 50km/h if you haven't seen a sign, they can't fail you for going a bit slower for a short time (if you are consistently too slow it may be risky). If they ask questions about your course of action just explain that you haven't seen a sign yet and are therefore assuming it is a 50km/h zone until you observe otherwise.

Good luck with the next try!
I'm only a learner at the moment, but I'm constantly asking whoever is in the car with me (be it parents or older friends) what the speed limit is so I don't go over.

I love driving and I don't want my privileges taken away cos of a silly little mistake.

Will an instructor mark you down for asking what the speed limit?

sawtell

Will an instructor mark you down for asking what the speed limit?
they wont mark you down, they just wont tell you, they will then focus on what speed you are doing... so probaly best not to ask.

oooo actually the instructor wont mark you for anything, and if you did ask your instructor, you would fail instanly....

Last edited: