Drop some weight

blags

Cannon Fodder
I'd avoid the race golds if possible, they'll cause more headaches than the weight saving is worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah agreed with caad9, im 67kg and I manage to totally fark up the rear while riding over a rock, hidden in the grass, I now ride crest wheels and they weight around 1450gram and havent had an issue with them, I believe you giant wheelset is around 1750gram , so thats 300 gram saving and they are around $500 new, cheap upgrade

ChopSticks

Banned
Op: do you actually have a budget?~

Plenty of good pointers, but things that have not yet been mentioned include: (pending how much you want to spend...)

- lighter bottle cage
- lighter seat clamp (you can get something around the 10gr mark)
- alligator MINI (make sure you get the mini) I-link cables (70%~ ligther than what you have)
- titanium bolts (brakes, stem, seatpost, seat clamp) surprisingly save abit there
- already running foam grips I see? Otherwise esi or ritchy foams for hardcore weenie
- lighter rotors (6" ice tech = 116g vs 6" Hope floating = 92g)

Everything else seems to have been mentioned
id go wheels first, followed by forks, then do the
maths on $$/gram and decide on what's worth doing or doing first.

edit:
are you running carbon stem spacers?
Hard to see, but I can't imagine 4" of travel taking too much chain..... Can you have 1-2 links out of your chain?
take that chainstay 'protector' off, it's pretty much doing nothing where you have it
wrap the area/chainstay directly behind the chain ring and the tube near the 11T ring for protection. (Essentially wrap the stay where you haven't lol)

that Thomson already looks close to min insertion.... Otherwise look into cutting it shorter.....
those are 'upgrades' you can do for free

ohhhh and lastly.... Just to make people shake their heads at my weenieness even more.... Lose those hard plastic cable clips and replace with thin zip ties.
also look at shortening your gear and brake cables/hoses (looks fairly neat already?)
once again..... My suggestions are either free or fairly cheap/inexpensive that you can start on!

good luck !

Last edited:

Agostino

Likes Dirt
All suggestions are pretty good so far, all below are based In priority of weight saving -

Probably aready mentioned but....

Excess anything, cable length, steerer, handlebar width :tape: = No cost
Tire choice and tubeless if not already running it. If tubes use lighter weight ones?

Wheels
Giant P-XCR1 WheelSystem - 1750 grams per pair (No a bad weight to be honest). Too many options all depends on budget and spec of wheelset. Potentially 150-250g saving easily achievable and everyday wheelset although more could be saved but all depends what the budget and long term use of the wheels will be for? everyday use or just races.

Stem
Giant Contact, OverDrive 2 - 251g (Based on 100mm Length) change to a Ritchey carbon or similar 115g - ~136g Saving

Saddle
WTB Rcoket V (SLT Black 215g) (Team 229g) (Pro 255g) (Race 275g) (Comp 325g)
If your set on the WTB for comfort then upgrade to the SLT could be a anywhere between 13g - 115g but looks like you have the Pro version based on graphics? Could go for something like the Specialized Romin/ Phenom Pro which weigh 173-190g depending on width (WTB Rocket V looks 130mm wide) ~ 82g Saving?

Seatpost
Thomson weighs about ~270g (Cant tell what length etc) a few carbon seatpost around the 190g mark ~ 80g Saving?

Handlebars
690mm 225g/ 730mm 250g - If 730mm the carbon equivalent can be had for ~$200 and 180g - so 70g Saving?

So with all the above changes your looking at about 618g (based on ~1500g wheelset)

After all of the above changes and depending how much money is left, re-asses the weight and then nitpick at all the smaller weight reductions like titanium bolts, clamps.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The Giant wheels are actually pretty good wheels. Mine weighed 1790 grams on my scales which is pretty competitive on anything under $800.
Stan's Race Golds can be found for $800 and are about the lightest going around. I would keep them as race only wheels though. Jason English runs them without issue and does a few long rides.

But I think you should get a set of carbon TWE wheels and go XX1 along with Race Face Next SL 1X cranks and egg beater 11 pedals. That's all rotating mass which is where it counts.
How heavy are your shoes? chain?
Don't try and save weight on disc rotors. Not worth the trouble.

One thing to note is that with an XT rear mech, I couldn't get an xx cassette to work on my Anthem with a 1X set up. No idea why. Just wouldn't work.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
All suggestions are pretty good so far, all below are based In priority of weight saving -

Probably aready mentioned but....

Excess anything, cable length, steerer, handlebar width :tape: = No cost
Tire choice and tubeless if not already running it. If tubes use lighter weight ones?

Wheels
Giant P-XCR1 WheelSystem - 1750 grams per pair (No a bad weight to be honest). Too many options all depends on budget and spec of wheelset. Potentially 150-250g saving easily achievable and everyday wheelset although more could be saved but all depends what the budget and long term use of the wheels will be for? everyday use or just races.

Stem
Giant Contact, OverDrive 2 - 251g (Based on 100mm Length) change to a Ritchey carbon or similar 115g - ~136g Saving

Saddle
WTB Rcoket V (SLT Black 215g) (Team 229g) (Pro 255g) (Race 275g) (Comp 325g)
If your set on the WTB for comfort then upgrade to the SLT could be a anywhere between 13g - 115g but looks like you have the Pro version based on graphics? Could go for something like the Specialized Romin/ Phenom Pro which weigh 173-190g depending on width (WTB Rocket V looks 130mm wide) ~ 82g Saving?

Seatpost
Thomson weighs about ~270g (Cant tell what length etc) a few carbon seatpost around the 190g mark ~ 80g Saving?

Handlebars
690mm 225g/ 730mm 250g - If 730mm the carbon equivalent can be had for ~$200 and 180g - so 70g Saving?

So with all the above changes your looking at about 618g (based on ~1500g wheelset)

After all of the above changes and depending how much money is left, re-asses the weight and then nitpick at all the smaller weight reductions like titanium bolts, clamps.
You've got a few errors there.

The stem is specced at 145g, which is exactly what my 100mm stem weighed.

Seatpost is 226g
http://bikescale.com/index.php?d=artykul&kat=47&mar=142&art=965

Agostino

Likes Dirt
You've got a few errors there.

The stem is specced at 145g, which is exactly what my 100mm stem weighed.

Seatpost is 226g
http://bikescale.com/index.php?d=artykul&kat=47&mar=142&art=965
Fair enough on the stem total cock up (quick qoogle search obviously wrong model)

Seat post looks like a layback in his photos not a straight seatpost and all depends on length 330/ 367/ 410 (went with the heavier as it looks quite long)

These are quite rough numbers and maybe 100-150g in miss calculations it you want acurate the OP should probably weight them to get real weights.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
You have this: http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sh...80-175mm-arms-with-bottom-bracket2013/cat/529 - you need to buy this http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sh...75mm-arms-32t-direct-mount-chain-ring/cat/529 to save around 240grams

You have what appears to be RT86 rotors (assumed 6") which weigh 125grams each (250grams for 2) get the ashima ai2 rotor which are 68grams (136grams for 2) - save around 114grams for only $40 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/The-Worl...ASHIMA-Ai2-Disc-Rotor-160mm-66g-/140852561891

XT pedals are around 340 grams, get the xpedo xmf08 which are 210grams - save 130 grams

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Saddle: go for a Selle Italia SLR road saddle that weighs around 120 - 140g = massive weight saving. I use one on my enduro bike and it's holding up well after being mistreated for a few months. I picked up one on here for $50! Seats are always overlooked in weight weenieism.

Also, as you're not running a dropper post, go for the lightest roadie style carbon seat post you can find.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The next sl are an excellent option, not only will you drop the 240g over the XTs, the need to take into account the 140g average mass of the adult males kidney you'll need to leverage against the purchase, so that's a total saving of 360g.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The next sl are an excellent option, not only will you drop the 240g over the XTs, the need to take into account the 140g average mass of the adult males kidney you'll need to leverage against the purchase, so that's a total saving of 360g.
or an even larger 380 gram saving for those of us who can do basic math. :kiss:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I was taking into account the 40g of surgical instruments the black market veterinarian would sew up inside him :behindsofa:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I was taking into account the 40g of surgical instruments the black market veterinarian would sew up inside him :behindsofa:
If your getting a kidney ripped out in a third world country you can count on a serious infection and possibly a coma to really shed the pounds. Win win!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Ok, just boxed this up and it's off to Race Face in Mondays mail:
image.jpg
If you don't hear from me for a few days, close down the thread.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Here are some weights of parts on the bike:
(Weight of wheels is from Pistonbroke, ta mate)
(Haven't weighed XT shifter, rear mech or cranks)

image.jpg

Wheel upgrade will most likely be a set of TWE's 1520gm alloy or 1400gm carbon.
Gearing will go to XX1 or X01. Will most likely leave XT/wolftooth cranks for now and go with raceface sl cranks at a later date.
XT brakes & rotors will remain. May consider lighter rotors?
Haven't looked into replacements / weight savings at this stage.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Simply google image search "xt shifter weight" and you should get a few results.

youre not really gonna get a lighter set of grips or chain...... as I said before, look into shortening that x10sl if you can.
also look at a Extralite Black lock axle (front and rear) you should drop about 50g given its approx 25~grams.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Simply google image search "xt shifter weight" and you should get a few results.

youre not really gonna get a lighter set of grips or chain...... as I said before, look into shortening that x10sl if you can.
also look at a Extralite Black lock axle (front and rear) you should drop about 50g given its approx 25~grams.
Thanks for your tips Chops.
Over the next few days I will go through thread and list my proposed changes / replacements and see what sort of weight saving will be made.

Keep posting ideas peeps!