Dropper post advice

Lucaw

Next in line
I have a 2007 norco manik that I have almost finished building and I wanted to source a dropper for it. It has a very weird 30.0 mm diameter seat post and I was wondering what dropper I can install.

Lucaw

Next in line
I was thinking that, what are some good ones?
It needs to be externally routed and have more the 100mm of drop.
I don’t want to buy a expensive post, my max would be around $200

moorey

call me Mia
I was thinking that, what are some good ones?
It needs to be externally routed and have more the 100mm of drop.
I don’t want to buy a expensive post, my max would be around $200
$200 currently won’t buy decent new, and good used 27.2 are rare and still not cheap. Best hit the googles. A BrandX/TransX maybe, or ask @Nerf Herder about a lower end KS.

Lucaw

Next in line
Yeah, looking around they are not cheap. There is usually 160mm of exposed post when my seat is all the way up so I’d prefer longer post.
It’s $220 for a 150mm brand x dropper in 30.9. I found out that you can use a brake hone to make my seat post hole bigger the .9 mm it needs to be to fit a 30.9.
Has anyone else used a brake hone to expand the seat tube inner diameter?

moorey

call me Mia
Considered the same years ago in my 30.0 bottlerocket. Shimmed instead.
How thick is the tubing? If it’s running a 34.9/35mm clamp, there’s enough meat. If it’s under 34, I’d be wary personally.

Lucaw

Next in line
It’s thick, being 35mm which is the same external diameter as my 2010 stumpy, a 30.9 seat tubes bike

moorey

call me Mia
If you’re confident on the tools, should be fine. Why not drill for internal routing while you’re at it?

Lucaw

Next in line
I’ll request my dad, a tech teacher so he has plenty of experience using tools, to help me enlarge it and put a hole for an internal dropper post. Then all I need to do is attempt to fix my $8 giant internal dropper and I’ll be set!
I’ll keep you guys posted.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll request my dad, a tech teacher so he has plenty of experience using tools, to help me enlarge it and put a hole for an internal dropper post. Then all I need to do is attempt to fix my $8 giant internal dropper and I’ll be set!
I’ll keep you guys posted.
Shit! Do we have someone under 30yo on Rotorburn for the first time in 10 years? Where’s my fainting couch?

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, some of my bikes and parts are older than me
Many of us are in the same boat....except we’re mostly 50+.
This is like a woodworking or HAM radio forum. Most young people have no interest in pure knowledge and experience....or the twisted ‘in jokes’ of old men and dads, but it’s where you’ll find the good stuff.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Lucaw i have a 30.9 125mm rockshox reverb and bleed kit you can have for about the cost of postage if you’re interested. It works but it is quite stiff after a full rebuild so the return speed is fairly slow.