DT 240 15mm-20mm end cap conversion.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
HI all,
just a quick one (I hope). I've got a DT 240 front hub which I will sometimes need to swap from 15mm-20mm. The endcaps appear to screw into the hub, so I can easily undo one of them, but how do I stop the axle from spinning so I can undo the second one? :confused:

Landon

Likes Dirt
Dt 240

You should be able to pull off the end caps without tools.

Is your hub an actual 20mm 240 6 bolt hub? If it's the 15mm center lock hub, you won't be able to run the 20mm end caps. It's the same story with the QR & RWS 240 6 bolt hub. They're not designed for a 20mm axle.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
yes, it's a 20mm six bolt hub. My original thought was that they'd pull off like the rear ones, but the endcaps on this actually screw onto the inner hub axle; can't imagine how they could be pulled off without tearing the hub in half! Any other ideas?

stacky

Likes Bikes
I had the same problem when I converted my 440's to 20mm. There is probably a specific tool for it but I couldn't find mention of it anywhere on the DT swiss site!!

I ended up using some wooden dowel which suited the hole diameter inside the hub (had some slightly oversize so sanded it down which gave a nice tight fit).
Once this was inside the hub I screwed a 8mm self tapping screw into the dowel (end with the adapter still on, other end is acting as a handle to hold onto) which expanded the wood inside the hub and gripped it.
Hey presto, 15mm adapter screwing off!!
Was a pretty ghetto way of doing it but got me riding the same day! :p

Good luck with it and let us know if you discover the tool/ textbook method of doing the job!

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Nice ghetto fix, mate; simple and effective. I'll try to track down the "prescribed" method, but reckon I'll just go with yours. Will keep you posted. Cheers, Steve

PUL54R

Likes Bikes
I just converted my 240s hubs from QR15 to 20mm, you will find the axles and bearings for both the 20mm and QR15 are the same Part No HCCXXX00S1792S.

To change the end caps I simply screwed off the first end cap the to get the other end cap off I put my thumb into the hub to stop the axle spinning and unscrew the other end cap off by hand.
Alternatively clamp the hub into a soft jaw vice and with the endcap secured in the vice and screw it while holding onto the axle, you might be able to get a better grip if one end is secure.

Hope this helps