Dual suspension dirt jump bikes

james1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
What cheaper bikes fall into the dual suspension dirt jump style? Guess you could call it a slopestyle.
Would be looking at a second hand one. Doesn't need to be anything amazing as im just getting back into riding again.
Cheers

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've basically got two choices:

• Specialized P-Slope ($2800 retail at Specialized Dealers).
  • NS Soda Slope ($2400 at Rhythm Imports).

Both are great bikes. The p-slope is a bit lower in the front, and has a more progressive suspension setup (due to the leverage ratio). The Soda Slope is probably a bit burlier on less groomed trails. Should be able to find a good second hand deal on either, but they can be hard to find.

Other options are the blackmarket killswitch, or dartmoor shine. Bother very nice, but a little pricier perhaps. Oh, and there the transition doubles (but no concentric pivot, so needs a tensioner or mech).

I've got a p-slope and a killswitch, love them both, and they're surprisingly different.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Dartmoor Shine
Banshee Rampant
DMR Bolt
MacMahone Kingdom
Nukeproof Rook
BlkMrkt Killswitch
Dobermann LePink
YT Play
Commencal Absolute SX

etc etc etc...

Admittedly some you will probably only find as a frame then you would have to build up but keep those feelers out in the 2nd hand market, these bikes do come up occasionally.

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
If you're running a real tight budget you might be able to pick up an older Kona Bass (originally a Cowan DS) somewhere which were one of the earlier DS jump/slope bikes with a concentric BB so you could run single speed.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're running a real tight budget you might be able to pick up an older Kona Bass (originally a Cowan DS) somewhere which were one of the earlier DS jump/slope bikes with a concentric BB so you could run single speed.
+1 almost bought one of these to thrash around on for $500 for the complete (but very well ridden) bike. Only really suits if you have a few spares lying around though.

james1

Likes Dirt
Wow that giant looks ridiculous! Nice bike. Is that a trance or reign?
I'm not sure why I just don't get along with hard tails for some reason.
I use to have a 2010 giant faith and loved it! But was thinking something shorter travel and lighter. Anyone had experience with the craftworks frx 2?
Cheers for the help guys

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Wow that giant looks ridiculous! Nice bike. Is that a trance or reign?
I'm not sure why I just don't get along with hard tails for some reason.
I use to have a 2010 giant faith and loved it! But was thinking something shorter travel and lighter. Anyone had experience with the craftworks frx 2?
Cheers for the help guys
It's my baby, a trance. It's actually pretty easy to throw around, you just put a shorter shock in it to change the geo a bit and you'll be backflipping in no time!
Cost me $250 for the frame and shock, plus paint and parts but the price varies on what you want on it. Way cheaper than bikes with "4x" or "Slope" written on it and works pretty much the same

Last edited:

Jacob.R

Likes Bikes
It's my baby, a trance. It's actually pretty easy to throw around, you just put a shorter shock in it to change the geo a bit and you'll be backflipping in no time!
Cost me $250 for the frame and shock, plus paint and parts but the price varies on what you want on it. Way cheaper than bikes with "4x" or "Slope" written on it and works pretty much the same
That Trance is one dam fine looking bike. Must be a great bike to shred on.

james1

Likes Dirt
dont want to sell do you ;)
Might have to keep my eye out on a trance frame, what year is it? 2006?

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
dont want to sell do you ;)
Might have to keep my eye out on a trance frame, what year is it? 2006?
2007. 2006 works too but be carful of the 2008, they aren't as strong as the previous years but if you're smooth it'll hold up

james1

Likes Dirt
Haha think I might look for the 06 07 frame then. Can you use a reign frame? Are they much different?
Cheers

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Haha think I might look for the 06 07 frame then. Can you use a reign frame? Are they much different?
Cheers
reigns have way too much travel. Even with the trance I still reduced the rear travel, it's on like 80mm now. Reigns are like 170mm