Earth Hour

Stack Shack

Likes Dirt
For the people that are saying global warming is not true and that Al Gore is making it up, have u actually watched his thing?

The world goes through cycles, true. What humans are doing is speeding up these cylcles and possiblys making them more serveer(sp)

WE put millions of tons of polution into the air every year. Any one that can say that does not affect the environment should have their breeding rights removed. We put a hole in the ozone layer by producing chlurofluro (sp) carbons. Are you going to say that the earth goes through ozone cycles where it destroys its self then mends again? we have almost starved the earth of all oil and gas and coal, what do we do then, wait for another fossil fuel cycle?

Humans are like a plauge(sp) we go to a place and take as much as we can as soon as possible, then when the land is raped or all natural rescources we leave.

At my place we participated in earth hour. I dont think the point of earth hour is to use less power for an hour, because it is not likly to do much, the point is to create awarness.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
The generators will still take the same amount of coal regardless of earth hour and the turbines will not have slowed (they can't slow down) down or had stability issues. No generators would have been shedded as they take days to start.

But in the spirit my lights went off.

Last edited:

42#KRISPY#42

Likes Dirt
Ok maybe i was a bit jumpy with saying Al Gore started it, sorry was just in a bit of bad mood! But he definately is cashing in on it and its working. I still stand by my earth's cycles theory. I just believe it's another scam to make people money, and with everyone who gets involved it's just increasing the size of "guess who's" private swimming pool.

LIAM?!

Banned
Agree with Stack Shack 100% the purpose of Earth Hour is not to eliminate carbon fumes going up and up because one hour?? People dont have there lights on majority of the day and even the night when they are in bed. so that 1 hour added to about the 15-16 hours were they are already off, it was to make the planet know you can make a different in this global stage the world is going through. Good on you for doing Earth Hour but dont think your Mr.Environment or Missus ;) because of it, it made the difference the size of a bee's dick. I'll say it again, The human race is an infection, and no Krispy, not exactly... what you said was nothing to do with the statement I made, what I meant was my would god create something so cynical just to go around a kick him back in the rattlers. Were killing ourselves everyday, but we still put a smile on.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Ok maybe i was a bit jumpy with saying Al Gore started it, sorry was just in a bit of bad mood! But he definately is cashing in on it and its working. I still stand by my earth's cycles theory. I just believe it's another scam to make people money, and with everyone who gets involved it's just increasing the size of "guess who's" private swimming pool.
Al Gore doesn't need money. He's not a clueless shmuck from the street, he's a former U.S. Senator.

Where's your evidence for your "earth cycle's" theory? Your conspiracy theorist nature suggests A Current Affair, maybe Today Tonight?

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
Well the evidence from this movie "An Inconvenient Truth" spoken by Al Gore sounds very believable, i believed it myself when i watched it!
But from even just a quick search of 'an inconvenient truth lies?' on google showing 1,390,000 results about it, there has to be something on about it don't you think?

Barely skimming the surface of my search i found some interesting sites and blogs filled with information about lies and faults in this movie and his speeches and what has been said,
for example;

- 35 scientific errors
- 11 inaccuracies, claims propaganda
- and the last site

just a few examples about all of this, have a read into these sites.

42#KRISPY#42

Likes Dirt
Agree with Stack Shack 100% the purpose of Earth Hour is not to eliminate carbon fumes going up and up because one hour?? People dont have there lights on majority of the day and even the night when they are in bed. so that 1 hour added to about the 15-16 hours were they are already off, it was to make the planet know you can make a different in this global stage the world is going through. Good on you for doing Earth Hour but dont think your Mr.Environment or Missus ;) because of it, it made the difference the size of a bee's dick. I'll say it again, The human race is an infection, and no Krispy, not exactly... what you said was nothing to do with the statement I made, what I meant was my would god create something so cynical just to go around a kick him back in the rattlers. Were killing ourselves everyday, but we still put a smile on.
Sorry took it the wrong way.

42#KRISPY#42

Likes Dirt
Al Gore doesn't need money. He's not a clueless shmuck from the street, he's a former U.S. Senator.

Where's your evidence for your "earth cycle's" theory? Your conspiracy theorist nature suggests A Current Affair, maybe Today Tonight?
I dont even watch the news. What they show you on the news is what they WANT you to think. News stories are always glorified to the max and 50% bullshit so whats the point in paying attention to it. The news is what causes arguments like this to begin. It causes oppinions to clash.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Water levels have been at about the same level for the past 6000 years.

http://www.cmar.csiro.au/sealevel/sl_hist_intro.html#140

And for the previous 4000 years there has been steady climbing to that position. This is when modern humans havn't even been around.

In Africa temperatures have actually dropped over the past 40 000 years. I can't find a temperature graph at the moment for a long period of time at the moment but when I do I'll post.

The earth is fucking millions of years old. Most of the charts and stuff I;ve found have been talking small scale ie. 10-20 years. No doubt the earth has been at higher temperatures than it is now.

For all I know we could be screwing up the world. And if the idea of global warming scares everyone in to cealn up there act then thats great. Global warming seems like a good front to actually get some major support behind environmentally minded groups.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
That graph is a little simplistic...you will find dozens of warming/cooling periods within those rises and falls. If you want a little more detail, have a look for Ice Core findings. I possibly have a chart somewhere from uni though its too big to scan. Never the less, an interesting view.

It has been proven though that there is a direct correlation between Global Warming (ie. Enhanced Greenhouse Effect) and the onset of the Industrial Revolution. Yes, the cycles are a natural phenomena but it is the rate in which we are exasserbating the situation which is a worry and in just under a century or so, the effects are being felt now. Imagine what it will be like in 10, or even 50 years time. Thats within many of our lifetimes.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
There won't be a shred of difference made to global warming until industries change.

There's no way industries will change their ways until it's cheaper or more profitable to do so.

So until then, why bother? Don't go on with all this making a point bullshit. It's good to lead a clean lifestyle, avoiding using the car when possible etc. etc. but until you're living in a sustainable bush shack with no electricity made of non-manufactured materials (ie, you grab an axe and cut the tree down yourself) then you're still doing 'damage', you're just getting high and mighty about the Prius you just bought or the can you actually recycled.

/rant.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Earth hour eh, well whatever makes people feel better. But I still see the freeway bumper to bumper on a monday morning when im cycling to work. So I guess its a way people can show they give a shit without really giving a shit.

N

Lorday

Eats Squid
Actually AngoXC has touched the 'ice berg' so to speak.

That graph is a little simplistic...you will find dozens of warming/cooling periods within those rises and falls. If you want a little more detail, have a look for Ice Core findings. I possibly have a chart somewhere from uni though its too big to scan. Never the less, an interesting view.

It has been proven though that there is a direct correlation between Global Warming (ie. Enhanced Greenhouse Effect) and the onset of the Industrial Revolution. Yes, the cycles are a natural phenomena but it is the rate in which we are exasserbating the situation which is a worry and in just under a century or so, the effects are being felt now. Imagine what it will be like in 10, or even 50 years time. Thats within many of our lifetimes.
Many scientist are actually doing testing on ice core samples at ansto. This could lead to a better understanding and lead us to be able to properly predict what will happen and the actually affects of our fossil fuel abuse.

At this point of time I'm sitting on the fence but I do believe we need to do something about cleanier energy, so we don't rely on fossil fuels....plus it's a perfect excuse to ride your bike!