eating after a ride

Hi guys,

After recently losing my license.. whoops.. I have started riding to and from work. On the way home I tend to drop into the skate park or ride some thing silly on my dh bike so it would end up being a 15km ride and about an hour or more.

Anyway I tend to get home at an awkward time too early for dinner and am generally hungry and looking for a snack.

I'm wondering what is the best things to be eating just to try and be generally healthy and maybe help my fitness a bit considering I'm riding over 100kms a week.

Should I be eating nuts or sugars or kfc or should I just have some self control and wait till dinner haha

Cheers in advance.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
One of the best post-ride recovery drinks is a glass of chocolate milk. You need a bit of sugar, fat and protein ideally within 10 minutes of ending exercise to help recover quicker. It'll all be there in a glass of milk with some chocolate powder of your choice.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Are you a 200kg trying to lose weight or 50kg and trying to put it on? It depends on many variables. I like bananas myself. Mainly cos I like peeling them. But nut bars or muesli bars are good. If you're a little fella maybe a protein shake if you've been pushing it? Post up a bit about yourself and most people will have a few ideas. Watch Poodle though. Just kidding Poodle.

Lol I'm about 175cms 75kgs and pretty happy with my weight. I'm not unfit I can run about 9kms and can do plenty of sit ups pushups squats etc.
wouldn't mind a bit more muscle and slightly slimmer probably just diet and more sit ups holding me back really. Read laziness..

I do the ride pretty comfortably really unless I have a 10kgs backpack and it's really hot. Just looking to make it easier on myself and figure diet is a good place to start

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Lol I'm about 175cms 75kgs and pretty happy with my weight. I'm not unfit I can run about 9kms and can do plenty of sit ups pushups squats etc.
wouldn't mind a bit more muscle and slightly slimmer probably just diet and more sit ups holding me back really. Read laziness..

I do the ride pretty comfortably really unless I have a 10kgs backpack and it's really hot. Just looking to make it easier on myself and figure diet is a good place to start
75kg and 175cm are pretty good numbers. That's my weight and I'm only 3cm taller and I wouldn't want to be skinnier. Like was said before, 30 mins after exercise is the key. I'd go a protein shake then. Fuel and protein for the muscles and will keep you until dinner. And a banana. Gotta love bananas...

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
One of the best post-ride recovery drinks is a glass of chocolate milk. You need a bit of sugar, fat and protein ideally within 10 minutes of ending exercise to help recover quicker. It'll all be there in a glass of milk with some chocolate powder of your choice.
Whilst it is usually most convenient to have a shake/protein right after a workout, it's a myth that it makes any difference to your recovery.

As long as you get all your nutrients etc in the day you are fine. Any difference in timings (generally) is going to be negligible.

Minlak

custom titis
Glass of Milk (Flavoured or otherwise) wont ruin dinner and will help feel fuller. For a more full feeling with less intake(200ml glass of milk 1 scoop of powder) a glass of protein powder will reduce hunger pretty quickly. Bananas are good not apples and "Sweet" fruit but.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... it's a myth that it makes any difference to your recovery...
Got any research papers to back this up? Karp et al were pretty keen on chocolate milk in 2006 - http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf and a subsequent study in 2012 also found recovery benefits - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075563

If the whole "post-workout drink something to aid recovery" thing is a myth I'd really like to see the studies from which you've drawn this conclusion.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Got any research papers to back this up? Karp et al were pretty keen on chocolate milk in 2006 - http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf and a subsequent study in 2012 also found recovery benefits - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075563

If the whole "post-workout drink something to aid recovery" thing is a myth I'd really like to see the studies from which you've drawn this conclusion.
I didn't read the whole 14 pages of this study as I'm on my phone, however it seems to me this isn't a fair study to conclude from. If the study went for 12 months, had 100x more people then I would probably give it some consideration.

Even then, it seems the study suggests chocolate milk is very slightly better than no chocolate milk for a couple people.

Have a look here - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119024341

The meal timing hypothesis basically exists to sell people supplements.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Quote:-"Last year, Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, and James Krieger were the first to investigate the effects of protein timing on hypertrophy and muscle strength in a meta-analysis. After contrasting and combining results from several randomized controlled trials, the authors concluded the following: “In conclusion, current evidence does not appear to support the claim that immediate (≤ 1 hour) consumption of protein pre- and/or post-workout significantly enhances strength- or hypertrophic-related adaptations to resistance exercise. The results of this meta-analysis indicate that if a peri-workout anabolic window of opportunity does in fact exist, the window for protein consumption would appear to be greater than one-hour before and after a resistance training session …” (5).

The authors also note that the positive effects associated with protein timing seem to stem from a higher total protein intake in the treatment groups than in the control groups, but that more matched studies – especially in well-trained individuals – are needed to draw firm conclusions.

Overall it’s safe to say that total protein intake is far more important than protein timing when it comes to muscle and strength gains, and as long as you eat enough protein throughout the day to meet your requirements, it doesn’t seem to matter much whether some of this protein is consumed immediately before and/or after your workout or not. However, it’s important to note that these studies focus on protein intake in and around a training session, not the optimal frequency of protein-rich meals throughout the day."

Protein is required just the uptake window is complete crap. Shampoo used to have the directions "Wash hair rinse then repeat" why I just washed my hair :) Multivitamins are another industry fav you piss most of them out.

Google it up most of the studies from 2013 onwards pretty much debunk the window theory. General overview http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/post-workout-shakes

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
make yourself up a smoothie, 2 bananas, mixed frozen fruit, you could put some powder in sometimes I put milo in as well, with skinny milk.

what you don't want is high gi carbs or high saturated fats - junk food.

TKITEZ

Likes Bikes
1/2 cup of oats with skim milk, or maybe 2 eggs to your liking on a piece of toast, a tin of tuna? how simple(bland) do you like it? lol

thats some post ride or training stuff I might eat if i'm too early for my next meal anyway

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
What has high GI got to do with an athlete replacing glycogen?

The ultimate source for all things athletic and science based is the Australian Institute of sport.

Everyone interested in these subjects have a read,

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/carbohydrate__how_much

"n sport, it is important to consider immediate requirements and what a whole food or snack can provide (such as protein, vitamins and minerals) rather than looking at only one component of any food. For example, higher GI foods can be useful immediately after exercise to promote a faster recovery of muscle glycogen stores." AIS fact sheet

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What has high GI got to do with an athlete replacing glycogen?

The ultimate source for all things athletic and science based is the Australian Institute of sport.

Everyone interested in these subjects have a read,

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/carbohydrate__how_much

"n sport, it is important to consider immediate requirements and what a whole food or snack can provide (such as protein, vitamins and minerals) rather than looking at only one component of any food. For example, higher GI foods can be useful immediately after exercise to promote a faster recovery of muscle glycogen stores." AIS fact sheet
only 50g carbs in 1.8kg strawberries???
A quick Google says 1kg= 77g carbs....

From their food list it's like they are telling us not to eat fruit/ veg, seems very simplistic advice......

Anyway, my current fav after ride snack is natural muesli with low fat plain yogurt and a heap of frozen blue berries for some antioxidants.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Really?

This is really what you guys eat when you get back from a ride?

Mine is normally a beer and half a pack of chips. (Well actually it's generally two beers, but the first one is purely for rehydration purposes)

I guess this isn't too far from the nutrition profile of chocolate milk. I little bit light on for protein maybe, but otherwise I have to be pretty close, don't I? Maybe I should add some kangaroo jerky into the mix.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
only 50g carbs in 1.8kg strawberries???
A quick Google says 1kg= 77g carbs....

From their food list it's like they are telling us not to eat fruit/ veg, seems very simplistic advice......

Anyway, my current fav after ride snack is natural muesli with low fat plain yogurt and a heap of frozen blue berries for some antioxidants.
They are telling you that the science says is if you need to replenish stores of glycogen fast, ie like during competition , then that is not the time to eat fruit and veg - they are low density for carbs.

Whether your particular brand of strawberries requires a kg or 2 kg to do what 2 gu's can do, either way you can't eat that amount, so go with something that can be achieved.

The fact sheets at the AIS are not my opinions, they are summaries of the scientific evidence written by scientists that study this stuff so as to provide the best advice possible for olympic level athletes.

I go for beer

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are you a 200kg trying to lose weight or 50kg and trying to put it on? It depends on many variables. I like bananas myself. Mainly cos I like peeling them. But nut bars or muesli bars are good. If you're a little fella maybe a protein shake if you've been pushing it? Post up a bit about yourself and most people will have a few ideas. Watch Poodle though. Just kidding Poodle.
Ha. Haha. ha haaaaaa...

make yourself up a smoothie, 2 bananas, mixed frozen fruit, you could put some powder in sometimes I put milo in as well, with skinny milk.

Try:
Coffee
Pizza
Ice cream.

All winners. Or do like me and eat 2 dinners then go for another ride at night. Then drink more coffee.