Ebay scammer????

radbiker

Likes Dirt
hey guys, so i listed my beloved bike on ebay yesturday and along with it came my email adress in the description should anybody have any enquiries. Today i open up my hotmail to find an email from "Niell Edrossy":

Dear seller, i was just glancing through ebay.com.au because i need to buy youritem,it a very lovely stuff you have gotten here and I am interestedin buying it outrightly.For a quick sale, I will pay you 1400.00audfor it. I was planning going on physically to purchase it but couldnot due to the nature of my work as i am always on the move cos I am amarine engineer and I work with an International shipping company.itwill be picked up at your location by my pick up agent I will bepaying with my paypal account.so please do reply me asap with yourpaypal account or send me a payment request from your paypal accountso i can effect payment to you rightaway.I await your replyNB:Honestly, I do not know the actual worth of this item because I?malways busy sailing. If my offer is not ok, Let me know so i can shootup abit or bring it down as the case maybe.Hope to hear from you soon.Regards

Should this be taken as a scam? should i reply? has anybody ever been ripped off like this on ebay???

radbiker

Likes Dirt
also how safe is paypal?? if i sent him details is it possible for him to deposit money and it bounce or be fake???

LoboSolitario

Cannon Fodder
he can pay via paypal then pick up the bike then file for a refund through paypal. It's a very common ebay scam, he will have the bike picked up and the payment stopped before you even see a cent.

I wouldn't even humour him.

Plus if he's a marine engineer who is always on the move what does he want with a M/B?

Wreaks of dodgy IMO!

Staunch

Eats Squid
I'm pretty sure other people have posted threads after receiving the same (or very similar message), so yeah, I'm guessing it is a scam...

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The classic ebay scam. Same structure, just worded a little differently each time.
Have some fun or drop it cold.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Scam. There's a point where bad typing skills and scammers differ. That, I believe is a scammer. I honestly wouldn't bother about writing back to him. You would think they would ask something about the bike itself.

wheel2wheel

Likes Dirt
NO NO NO, stay away, be afraid, he will tell you he will pay by paypal even send you a genuine looking paypal receipt, it will be fake as is the whole deal you lose the bike and the money.

radbiker

Likes Dirt
im liking the i'll take your mum for it so far. Yeah i was going to drop it but this sounds like it could be fun. As for marine bioligist, im fair sure they would have enough money to buy new rather than secondhand.

Those naughty Nigerians are at it again it seems. Of course its a scam!

Be careful as he now has your email address

Last edited:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Play with it. Dont give a phone or adress you dont want them turning up to. Usual scam is Pay with PayPal, Send a courier to pick up the goods, then bounce the payment.

I'd Send photos of the bike, and drop your price (after all, you need the cash for your grandmas operation), get them to pay, or money order as you cant see the payment in your paypal etc etc. try to get some money from them.

Give an alternate adress and specify a time exactly for the courier. Deliver a bike from the scrapheap. Let them wear the costs of the courier.

Scamming scammers is a quiet hobby of mine......

radbiker

Likes Dirt
Play with it. Dont give a phone or adress you dont want them turning up to. Usual scam is Pay with PayPal, Send a courier to pick up the goods, then bounce the payment.

I'd Send photos of the bike, and drop your price (after all, you need the cash for your grandmas operation), get them to pay, or money order as you cant see the payment in your paypal etc etc. try to get some money from them.

Give an alternate adress and specify a time exactly for the courier. Deliver a bike from the scrapheap. Let them wear the costs of the courier.

Scamming scammers is a quiet hobby of mine......
has this ever worked with you??? like have you ever ended up with money from this

burnside97

Likes Dirt
100% total scam. i and a couple of people i know have had almost the identical email. 'oceanographer at sea, bike is for my son, picked up by agent. paypal blah blah. Dont fall for it

radbiker

Likes Dirt
thanks everyone for the advice, i will be sure not to poke a stick at him in regards to giving him details.

as for a reply i descided to just tell him, if he wants it, he has to place a bid..... This was his reply:

Hi
it was nice of you replying my mails so quickly...thanks so much,am
okay with the condition and the price of the item and am so sorry i cant bid right now
cos i am having some problems with my ebay account and am ready to buy
it and pls get the advert down from the web i will instruct a payment
to you from my paypal account,am located in South Australia but
presently am at work of the coast of brisbane,i sail there now,am a
marine engineer and a very busy one indeed,i can give you more info of
me if you want.also i would have loved to come and view the item but i
can't as i am at work here and always busy and i would have loved to
call you but i can't from here as we use satellite network here at the
coast which is very bad but i will keep trying to call you..ok

I'll be responsible for the pick-up,my trevor movers pick up company
will handle everything,they are international and i prefer them
because they offer first class pick up thats not a problem your
payment will include some money, just to avoid delay, cost of postage
and to enable my mover's to schedule an appropriate time for the
pick-up at your location as i also have other properties to be moved
along side with your item,also all required documents will be signed
by my pick up company on my behalf...all what you need to know will be
done by my trevor movers pick up company.

all i just need from you is just for you to send me the payment
request from paypal so i can pay you...once the money is inside your
account you wont find it difficult of tranasacting with my pick up
company,also i will need to pay my pick up company but lets just be
through with paying you first then i will contact them,as i already
said you will need to send me payment request from your paypal
account,if you dont have one can you set up...i can only access my
paypal account here...thats why i prefer them,they are also very
reliable and fast...please get back to me asap with all the infos i
have asked from you for us to proceed also,please do get back to me
with your full names and address including your cell and land number
so i can make out payment, pls i need you to assure me that everything