Electric die grinder recommendations/experiences

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Recommendations for an electric die grinder, it will be used for work mostly on super duplex stainless steel. Looking at a metabo at this point, have had 2 bosch ones but the collet nuts are the weak point and keep cracking as they are thin walled.

Metabo GE 710 Compact (600615000) Metabo GE 710 Compact 710W Die Grinder (sydneytools.com.au)
How will your neighbours know how productive you are if you don't buy a high-flow air powered grinder? Electric ones only make excruciating noises for the operator, not the whole neighbourhood!

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Ive been using a Hitachi GP 3v for the last 5 or so years without issue, on 316 stainless mainly..but thats more to do with the quality of the bits.
Haven't broken any collets and have gone well above the 25mm max wheel size recommendation with 75mm mounted flap wheels etc...

Jpez

Down on the left!
Ive been using a Hitachi GP 3v for the last 5 or so years without issue.
Haven't broken any collets and have gone well above the 25mm max wheel size recommendation with 75mm mounted flap wheels etc...
I’ve heard(anecdotally) that since Hitachi became Hikoki they’ve really gone downhill.
That’s the word from the proper power tool shop I use anyway.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I’ve heard(anecdotally) that since Hitachi became Hikoki they’ve really gone downhill.
Probably...like everything else...
What's your proper power tool shop out of curiosity?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hikoki is Hitachi Koki... same same. Name changed because of some naughty naughty people at the C level and lack of oversight. Japanese govt required major changes in operation including removing the Hitachi branding... Koki is just tool so it was Hitachi (sun-rise) tool now Hikoki is sun tool! I was in the group at the time. Many audits, many lessons. Same factories etc so if quality has plummeted then that is by design. I have some Hitachi tools and Hikoki batteries fit and are the same cells etc.

On the die grinder #1 bought a Milwaukee. It is frigging lethal. Seems solid and it has copped a heap of abuse.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
While I'm balls deep invested in M18 Milwaukee... It's MAK CA$H MADNESS at total tools Thur-Sat.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I should have clarified the butter. This one...

I remember what feels like a hundred years ago I worked for a builder that was a total fucking die hard. Like @moorey. stubborn, didn’t like change.
I’d just bought one of those new fancy cordless drills. A Hitachi IIRC. Wasn’t very powerful but did the job. Me and this builder were hanging a bunch of doors that day. He pulled out I’m his old corded AEG hammer/drill and went off in search of a cord long enough. Finally came back and I could hear this old beast of a drill trying to screw in crappy Crome hinge screws. No clutch of course and the thuck thuck as it constantly bounced out and pretty much stripped every head.
I said why don’t you get a cordless drill FFS. He’s like nah. I been doing it this way forever and it works just fine plus all this cordless shit is a flash in the pan. Will never take off!
now they have cordless jobsite coffee machines and microwaves!
I guess he was wrong. No idea what this has to do with due grinders but cordless tech has come a long way in a short time.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
cordless tech has come a long way in a short time.
It sure has... One of these with a mini gas bottle for those one off welds in a roof cavity would be ace.
If you've ever had the joy of hoisting a tig machine, welding leads, gas bottle,hoses, extension leads, and the plethora of other shit needed to do 1 weld you'll know why....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
While I'm balls deep invested in M18 Milwaukee... It's MAK CA$H MADNESS at total tools Thur-Sat.

Now we understand why you needed surgery.

Jpez

Down on the left!
It sure has... One of these with a mini gas bottle for those one off welds in a roof cavity would be ace.
If you've ever had the joy of hoisting a tig machine, welding leads, gas bottle,hoses, extension leads, and the plethora of other shit needed to do 1 weld you'll know why....
No I did know the joys of hauling an old boat anchor AC welder up several stories by rope to do balcony balustrades and then when the little shoulder slung DC welders first appeared from Italy it was a revelation. Not cordless but next best thing in that scenario.