Electric Vehicles etc

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I would be getting the answer to this in writing from BYD, than relying on us.
I deal with things that contain electronic gubbins in my day job, one thing they don't like is unstable power supplies. Our warranty specifically excludes damage related to operation from non mains power supplies because of this.
But there is a picture kicking around the Internet of a BYD Atto using a generator so it must be true ;)

Good advice.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
You get used to new shit quick. Go to indicate, wipers come on, wipe and indicate right... I do it every couple of years on my trip back to Ireland. Takes 1-2 weeks to get used to euro car dynamics, then the same on return, though a lot longer to work out USA style brakes on yer bike :oops:
That's just a horizontal orientation issue. Buttons on a steering wheel are not, that requires you to work out where buttons are along an arc. That's not muscle memory, that requires attention and coordination.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That's just a horizontal orientation issue. Buttons on a steering wheel are not, that requires you to work out where buttons are along an arc. That's not muscle memory, that requires attention and coordination.
What is there to work out ? I drive predominately with my right hand at 12 oclock, the left usually hangs around on the end of my arm which is parked on the centre console arm rest, yet I can turn music up and down and answer the phone using my left without looking at the steering wheel controls. You don't look at your handbrake or seatbelt before pulling it. The controls are right there on the centre cross bar, there is no working out where the buttons are along an arc.

A week of driving one and you'd be indicating without even thinking.

hgjghjghjghhgh.jpg

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Not having a stalk is a cost saving initiative from Tesla and something for the fan bois to lather themselves up about. No doubt driving 2.0 will take inspiration from startrek and do away with all physical controls. It will be a triumph for ergonomics and safety. I, of course, will wait for the touch screen only motocross bike. That will truly be next level...

1714024121289.png

Jabubu

let you google that for me
What is there to work out ? I drive predominately with my right hand at 12 oclock, the left usually hangs around on the end of my arm which is parked on the centre console arm rest, yet I can turn music up and down and answer the phone using my left without looking at the steering wheel controls. You don't look at your handbrake or seatbelt before pulling it. The controls are right there on the centre cross bar, there is no working out where the buttons are along an arc.

View attachment 408889
Now turn the wheel between 120 and 180 degrees and turn the volume up and down without looking.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

View attachment 408889
That's it? That's the controversy? People don't use indicators anyway, who cares where the switch is.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

View attachment 408889
Where I live now and my regular drives, it'd probably be fine. But where I grew (Brunswick West, VIC). It's very polite to only say FUCK THAT! It's hard to keep up with indicating using your left hand and the stalk while palm-steering with the right hand in places, let alone trying to chase buttons round the steering wheel while working nearly lock-to-lock and back again! o_O

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

View attachment 408889
That's just Elon pretending he is making a Lamborghini. They have had the controls on the steering wheel for a while now.

1714040215700.png

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That's just Elon pretending he is making a Lamborghini. They have had the controls on the steering wheel for a while now.
Cant see what the fuss is about. Its different but no big deal, certainly not something I would give a second thought to.

I'll hit Toyota up next week when its in for a service to upgrade me to stalkless... as Toyota is always well priced on this sort of stuff :rolleyes:

You want buttons, they dont come on their own, they are attached to a whole new dashboard which is 1/ 2 the price of a new car ;)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Cant see what the fuss is about. Its different but no big deal, certainly not something I would give a second thought to.

I'll hit Toyota up next week when its in for a service to upgrade me to stalkless... as Toyota is always well priced on this sort of stuff :rolleyes:

You want buttons, they dont come on their own, they are attached to a whole new dashboard which is 1/ 2 the price of a new car ;)
If you are going stalkless keep out of the red states in the US of a.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I was a bit Jabubu on it at first but when I thought about how often I have to indicate to leave a tight roundabout, and that eventually I won't be touching any buttons, it really is not a big deal.

I'm adaptable, I like jumping on someone else's bike and adaptng to it rather than dick around trying to get it to my setup, unless it's right hand rear brake, I'm just not touching that shit. That's like swapping accelerator and brake pedal, a step too far for no good reason. MTB controls have been lots of adaptation, two shifters vs dropper lever. Thumbies, Gripshift, RapidFire, SRAM.

Model 3 under 60k drive away with rebates now after the latest discounting round.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was a bit Jabubu on it at first but when I thought about how often I have to indicate to leave a tight roundabout, and that eventually I won't be touching any buttons, it really is not a big deal.

I'm adaptable, I like jumping on someone else's bike and adaptng to it rather than dick around trying to get it to my setup, unless it's right hand rear brake, I'm just not touching that shit. That's like swapping accelerator and brake pedal, a step too far for no good reason. MTB controls have been lots of adaptation, two shifters vs dropper lever. Thumbies, Gripshift, RapidFire, SRAM.

Model 3 under 60k drive away with rebates now after the latest discounting round.
When you ride a BMW bike for the first time and instinct has you indicating right for a left hand turn... takes 50 seconds to just stop indicating like every bmw driver ever*.

*except me.