Electronic shifting

marc.r

Likes Dirt
reports are the rear derailleur is 450 pounds, and shifters are 150 pounds a pop. almost $1k for a derailleur is scary, enjoy breaking that one.
I thought top level xc events were on such well maintained tracks that there were no stray branches/rocks to cause this sort of damage?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Havent looked into it as my carefactor is pretty low about the elec shifting, but what is the weight of the system compared to a normal cable setup?
Apparently 2x with one shifter (dedicated Synchro setup) is the same as mechanical 2x. Rear derailleur is a little bit heavier, front derailleur somehow is a little bit lighter, shifters significantly lighter (even moreso when you can pull one out of the system), wires are lighter than cables (not sure if comparison was done with segmented or full-length outers), and battery puts a little bit in. Other configurations are only slightly heavier than mechanical equivalents.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
-It can be set so the guys running one or two chainrings can have the front drop to the lower ring / rings depending on what gear you grab on your cassette. Of course this can be customised and can be set to run manually. My understanding is it can also control the front and rear deraileurs on one shifter!
You mean two or three rings.... :wink: Synchro shift means that at certain programmed (factory default, but user-adjustable via PC interface) points through the shift sequence, rather than picking the next sprocket on the cassette, the system changes chainring and simultaneously makes a corrective "backshift" at the rear to reduce the gear jump. It's switchable on the fly between manual and two Synchro sequences.

-The system battery can be stored on the bottle cage bolts, slipped inside a seatpost or just cable tied to anywhere where it integrates with the cabling of the system. Here's hoping it can go in a steerer and have a charging port made for easy access.
There's a charging/"E-Tube" software connection port on the head unit. PRO (Shimano's offshoot components manufacturer) has simultaneously released Di2-ready cockpit hardware which allows steerer tube battery mounting. They're onto you already. :wink:

-It will likely have integration with Fox technology so you can change the fork and shock settings (ie CTD) and it will show on the HUD. That's tops!
Fox iCD was co-developed with Shimano on the Di2 platform. There's a climb/descend mode icon on the HUD screen. Synchro shift setup allows the left shifter to be used as a suspension switch. What I'm not sure about yet, and would like to know, is if fork & shock can be locked/unlocked independently. There are mixed reports on this with iCD as a stand-alone system, and nothing that I've found yet as far as full Di2 integration.

-Word on the street is it may even have potential to be a GPS and could run maps etc on a big enough display.
Closest I've heard on this front is that there's a plug-in ANT+ digi-box thing that will send gear position indication and maybe a few other things to compatible computers that PRO, Garmin & others have in the works. More road-targetted, 'cos there's no onboard indication there, but there is on the XTR head.

Two things bother me though; what the flipping hell would the system do if the battery expired and the cable tension was non existent? You'd be in the gear it went flat in? Surely a manual system will be implemented, thus making the entire system nothing more than a run of the mill current day shifting system? Why would we go for an electronic system when we still have rear deraileurs getting torn off and bent and making the whole show go arse up?
You end up with a single-speed, like you do when you break a mechanical cable. Front shifting dies first, due to the higher power load, then you lose the rear. But with an indicator right under your nose on the head display, you've gotta be pretty dumb to not notice if the battery needs a feed. There is a degree of crash protection built into the rear derailleur. Under sufficient force, the servo disengages from the derailleur body, allowing the derailleur to get pushed freely on its pivots. There's a restore function by way of holding a button on the head for a few seconds to reconnect the servo. It's not a complete failsafe, 'cos there are multiple ways to hit a derailleur, but it's a help.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
KS and Fox both have electronic seatposts in the works. I'm keen to see what other electric goodies come out.
The external "mini-pump" battery box/cable junction has one more port than there currently are compatible components (including Fox iCD). That just shouts, "hey! I can work a dropper post!!" :wink:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Too all those worried about battery running out, just charge it when you clean your chain. Apparently the battery lasts for 2 months or so of riding, so lets say 1 month to be safe. If you don't clean your chain once a month you don't deserve XTR anyway.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The pro roadies have been known to do the Tour de France and other three-week grand tours (3500-odd km average) on a single charge. Even with the more powerful motors in XTR slightly cutting battery life, the more normal among us will take vastly longer than three weeks to drain the battery.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People are worried about the battery running out on a wired system, I had a Lapierre with Ultegra Di2 (10spd), never charged the battery once in 8 months and doing 2000kms on it.

I was skeptical at first of Di2, but once you ride it, you'll keep it. Just matters if you can afford it!

If SRAM releases a wireless version, good on em, but have fun having to charge every single component individually and the battery life been only a few weeks max. Synching their Quarq Power meters can be a mission sometimes, but synching a whole drivetrain? I'd rather neck myself, rewiring Lapierre's Ei suspension is my limit. It'll never be as light or as reliable as a wired system.

It'll take a few years before major frame manufacturers release Di2-only framesets publicly. Santa Cruz will probably be the first to release a Di2 specific frame.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It'll take a few years before major frame manufacturers release Di2-only framesets publicly. Santa Cruz will probably be the first to release a Di2 specific frame.
Just a matter of sticking adaptable ports in it. A lot of bikes will be basically ready to go.

Avanti have had their Ridgeline carbon 29er Di2 compatible for a while now, it just runs the same ports as their road bikes.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a matter of sticking adaptable ports in it. A lot of bikes will be basically ready to go.

Avanti have had their Ridgeline carbon 29er Di2 compatible for a while now, it just runs the same ports as their road bikes.
Talking about Di2 ONLY frames, like Time do and most brands with their TT bikes (Lapierre/BMC). They can't be adapted to run mechanical. It's piss easy to go from mech to Di2, just make rubber grommets to fill in the holes.

Another foreseeable problem with XTR is the seat-post battery and running a stealth dropper, not sure how that's going to work.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Which section of the trading area should I list a kidney & other superfluous organs for sale in? :flypig:

I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting it, but not for a couple of years......Main reason is just a little plan I've had on the go for about a year already. I have a "significant birthday" in a couple of years, and I want to build myself a really nice XTR-spec bike. This'll just make it really really nice. :music:

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
There was a significant push back against e-bikes in another forum, some of which was because they used batteries to reduce the fitness requirement of the sport- their seems to be no similar push back against using batteries to reduce the skill requirement.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a significant push back against e-bikes in another forum, some of which was because they used batteries to reduce the fitness requirement of the sport- their seems to be no similar push back against using batteries to reduce the skill requirement.
Timing your shifting will still be important. Besides mechanical aptitude in adjusting cables, how does electronic shifting reduce skill when riding?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Indexed shifting and suspension systems already reduced the skill requirement, but improved accessibility and speed. There were complaints about that, but just a minority. Would you put most people on a rigid mtb with friction shifters?

- joel

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Indexed shifting and suspension systems already reduced the skill requirement, but improved accessibility and speed. There were complaints about that, but just a minority. Would you put most people on a rigid mtb with friction shifters?

- joel
No. Single speed that bitch and we have a winner.

In a perfect world everyone would be on steel rigid ss. With 26", 1 1/8" steerers and semi slicks with 2.2 being large rubber. Disk brakes are an unnecessary luxury. The bike industry is fundamentally fucked in the head with too much progression. stagnation for the win.

Back on topic, I'm that guy on a ss with skinny's rolled up to the knees cruising arpund town with a soy latte as a constant companion. Sans beard alas, the creepy blonde moe creeps me out let alone anyone else. My addiction to wanky bars and craft beer, not to mention a personal loan for a full body tat means electronic gears are out of my price range, but if the interface had twitter and snapchat I'd be all over that shit like a rash.

In summary, this discussion is pointless, gears are lame and your all victims to fashion.