Enduro Hardtail Frame

motas

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

Hoping someone with a bit more experience can give me some advice on which frame to buy.

I am looking to build my first bike and want something that is a bit of a do it all kind of bike. I have a downhill bike already but want to give bike packing, (easy) dirt jumping and some all mountain/enduro tracks a go. I also really hate riding x country bikes so I want something that feels more like riding a downhill bike, something slack, stable and a bit more playful but can still climb comfortably. So my thought process is a hard tail will be cheaper and simpler than a dual shock, and if I can find something reasonably light but still aggressive geometry it should be okay for up or downhill. So firstly do you think this is possible? Or am I just going to end up with a dissapointing bike that's good for nothing?

So assuming this is a reasonable pursuit I've been doing a fair bit of research on frames and am looking at either a Ragley Bluepig, or a Dartmoor Hornet. There's also the aluminium version of the Ragley which is the MMMBop. Either build would be a 1x10 or 1x11 geartrain, 160mm fork and 27.5x2.8 wheels. Any recomendations on either of these or something else to look at? Would prefer to purchase locally.

Cheers for any help!

Hey guys,

Hoping someone with a bit more experience can give me some advice on which frame to buy.

I am looking to build my first bike and want something that is a bit of a do it all kind of bike. I have a downhill bike already but want to give bike packing, (easy) dirt jumping and some all mountain/enduro tracks a go. I also really hate riding x country bikes so I want something that feels more like riding a downhill bike, something slack, stable and a bit more playful but can still climb comfortably. So my thought process is a hard tail will be cheaper and simpler than a dual shock, and if I can find something reasonably light but still aggressive geometry it should be okay for up or downhill. So firstly do you think this is possible? Or am I just going to end up with a dissapointing bike that's good for nothing?

So assuming this is a reasonable pursuit I've been doing a fair bit of research on frames and am looking at either a Ragley Bluepig, or a Dartmoor Hornet. There's also the aluminium version of the Ragley which is the MMMBop. Either build would be a 1x10 or 1x11 geartrain, 160mm fork and 27.5x2.8 wheels. Any recomendations on either of these or something else to look at? Would prefer to purchase locally.

Cheers for any help!
check the last few pages of this thread
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?245324-Post-your-All-MTN-Funduro-hardtail
Lots of different HT's in there.

And take a look in the for sale Hardtail section, some decent stuff up for grabs

Last edited:

motas

Likes Bikes
Thanks mate.

I've been looking through that thread and there's some awesome looking bikes! Unfortunately there's not that much discussion about the good and the bad of the different frames in there so it hasn't really helped my decisions much :/

Not sure I'm looking in the right section but there's only a couple of hardtail frames for sale at the moment in the frame section?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I bought an ns eccentric -should have gone the ragley I think, nukeproof scout 275 was also on the list
I also eyed the commencal meta am

there's a cotic soul in classifieds, I loved my cotic BFe -what size u after?

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Orange p7 or ritchey timberwolf would be my picks.

Commencal alu options for a cheaper build.

rone

Eats Squid
Whilst I love my steel hardtails I'm about to get a Santa Cruz Chameleon. Ticks all the boxes.

I currently have a Nukeproof Scout 27.5 which is pretty awesome. Loving it actually
Running a 150mm fork which is more than the factory spec but it's going fine. Can't say how 160mm forks would go but my gut feel would be that it could handle it pretty easily. My only downside to the Scout is that it's not steel. But that's easily forgotten.
Previous HT was a Cotic BFe 26 which I did really love. A super versatile frame, could set it up long travel to go real hardcore or the other way and be almost XC. And steel too. If you can go for steel, you won't regret it but don't be afraid of alloy. Hopefully that makes sense?
Steel frames are more compliant, a better ride. But there is often a price premium.
Mate has a Kona Honzo 29 and he loves it. Steel again. But he has pretty well shelved his FS since the Kona came along. Runs it 27+.
Another buddy bought a Norco Torrent in the 27+. He is fully frothing on it.
So much choice at the moment in HT frames it's getting ridiculous. Budget is really the only factor.
For what it's worth, I think you'd be happy with a Nukeproof. Prices are almost half what I paid. At that price it is a steal.
I do rate them as a bike. A fanboy.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I just ordered a Scout as well. I've always fancied a Blue Pig but they were twice the price and I wasn't that keen on this years colour scheme. Haven't built it up yet but the frame looks the business. I've got a 160mm pike that's going on it so I'm aiming for a similar build.

Not sure if you could run 2.8 tyres with it. Looks to be plenty of clearance back there so could be ok. I'm going to run it with something around 2.5" to start with but I've got 35mm rims so the option is there if it looks like they'll fit

I just ordered a Scout as well. I've always fancied a Blue Pig but they were twice the price and I wasn't that keen on this years colour scheme. Haven't built it up yet but the frame looks the business. I've got a 160mm pike that's going on it so I'm aiming for a similar build.

Not sure if you could run 2.8 tyres with it. Looks to be plenty of clearance back there so could be ok. I'm going to run it with something around 2.5" to start with but I've got 35mm rims so the option is there if it looks like they'll fit
Might fit in a 29 frame but would struggle in the 27.5.
There's a cable stop for a front derailleur on the back side of the seat tube.
Big rubber won't go inside that. Which is a pity because there is heaps of clearance around the rest of the seat and chain stays.
Tried fitting my 29 wheels in the frame. No go

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Might fit in a 29 frame but would struggle in the 27.5.
There's a cable stop for a front derailleur on the back side of the seat tube.
Big rubber won't go inside that. Which is a pity because there is heaps of clearance around the rest of the seat and chain stays.
Tried fitting my 29 wheels in the frame. No go
Bugger....

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Cheers for any help!
This sounds like me. I ended up with a Canfield Nimble 9 as a frame came up for sale locally. I run it with a 130mm Fork and also a ridged fork for commuting duties. This fork also comes in handy for long distance non tecky stuff. I can also squeeze 27.5 plus tyres on 45mm rims with both forks. I have not yet bike packed on it but it is something I want to give a go for an overnighter, so am looking for a frame and seat bag to suit the bike.

You will have to make a compromise somewhere and it will probably be a decision around the fork. 160mm is going to be a hell of a lot of fun, but will probably suit a bike that does not climb as well. I would be less concerned with weight and go for wheels that can handle the riding you want to do.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
If you can get your hands on an NS Surge i'd highly recommend it. Bit biased as I own one myself but I'll be damned if it isn't the most versatile (and cheap! - i got mine for $350 shipped from CRC) frame i can think of which meets your needs.

I've ridden Thredbo, Bright, Buller and a couple other spots in Victoria with it and have found myself being able to do everything the other lads on duallies can (albeit nowhere near as quick - but that isn't what riding is all about for me).

Main advantages of it in my opinion:
  • Takes both 26 or 27.5 wheels - you can start on a budget (26" parts are stupid cheap nowdays) and upgrade later.
  • Threaded BB - I've only ever had problems with pressfit bearings. Also easier to mantain yourself.
  • Can run both a straight-steer or tapered fork - again, start cheap upgrade later.
  • Steel. - 'nuff said.

Disadvantages:
  • 135mm dropouts can make it a bit of a pain to find good hubs for it, and it won't be as stiff as 142/148

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just built up a nukeproof scout 275. Having not ridden a hardtail on anything other than a BMX track for 10yrs i was expecting it to be alot slower than my spec enduro. I was completly blown away, i was worried it would strugfle to find grip on the rear wheel because it had no suspension, leading to slower corner speed etc but i was pleasently surprised to learn that i can still rail the fuck out my trails. So much so that i did a solid job of burping my rear tyre and scratching/denting my new rear wheel. I went with a 140mm fork on the front just to retain some climbing ability and the fact that built it to fill a hole (XC racing) that my enduro couldnt while still being able to shred hard. I am so impressed, it has very modern geo (long, low, slack) and very modern features (low standover, stealth routing, threaded bb, tapered headtube, 142x12 TA).

Also just remember when choosing a size that a hardtail reach measurement will increase while head angle will steepen slightly when the fork sags as their is no rear sag to equal it all out.

Just built up a nukeproof scout 275. Having not ridden a hardtail on anything other than a BMX track for 10yrs i was expecting it to be alot slower than my spec enduro. I was completly blown away, i was worried it would strugfle to find grip on the rear wheel because it had no suspension, leading to slower corner speed etc but i was pleasently surprised to learn that i can still rail the fuck out my trails. So much so that i did a solid job of burping my rear tyre and scratching/denting my new rear wheel. I went with a 140mm fork on the front just to retain some climbing ability and the fact that built it to fill a hole (XC racing) that my enduro couldnt while still being able to shred hard. I am so impressed, it has very modern geo (long, low, slack) and very modern features (low standover, stealth routing, threaded bb, tapered headtube, 142x12 TA).

Also just remember when choosing a size that a hardtail reach measurement will increase while head angle will steepen slightly when the fork sags as their is no rear sag to equal it all out.

They are good aren't they?
Hope they begin to get the credit they deserve. Well priced and a great ride.
Looks good Mr Hanky.
My Enduro hardly gets ridden now, lucky if it's 1 ride in 5.
That will change I'm sure but I do love the HT again.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Cheers for any help!
I've been riding a hardtail Torrent for a few months and my Stumpjumper has been pretty neglected since then. It's just good fun.

2.8 tyres are awesome for taking out a lot of the trail chatter (and heaps of grip) but the aluminium frame of the Torrent is very stiff and transfers a lot of the shock to my hands/feet/knees so if your trails are rocky a steel frame might be the go.

I've been trying out a carbon frame which is so much smoother to ride than aluminium.

As for your thought process, can't argue with any of that. It won't feel like a nervous XC bike at all - you'll love it!

Go

Likes Dirt
You say you don't want it to be too heavy. 2.8 rubber and steel frame not gonna cut it. I say don't worry about the weight. Blue pig for 27.5 or Honzo or Big Wig for 29.
Here's mine. Love it, faster in 90% of the trails I ride compared to my 160mm full sus.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

stickso

Likes Dirt
You say you don't want it to be too heavy. 2.8 rubber and steel frame not gonna cut it. I say don't worry about the weight. Blue pig for 27.5 or Honzo or Big Wig for 29.
Here's mine. Love it, faster in 90% of the trails I ride compared to my 160mm full sus.

Nice bike.

Weight isn't that big a deal for these bikes but steel and wide rubber isn't always heavier. My Norco Torrent frame is 2.6kg which is on par with steel and 27.5x2.8 and 29x2.5 DHFs are both 1kg.

But there are different pros and cons with wheel/tyre size which are the deciding factor.

Honzo is almost the category leader when it comes to HT and hardcore.
I went for the budget option essentially but also because my mate has one in steel and can't have too much matchy matchy going on.
I'm a fan though.