Ever shown up to work intoxicated?

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drug and Alcohol testing is a huge culture within the company I work for, as is fatigue management.

If you owned a 50 million dollar piece of equipment - would you want someone shit faced operating it ?

All divisions of our company have the same policy.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Before I got a 'real' job I went to my call centre job a few times after getting a bit dusty the night before .. It made the job worse if anything. Hungover + constantly ringing phones would make anyone go insane so it didnt last long

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
worked in a camping store and we had an area upstairs where customers wernt allowed, air bed was always there and on sat/sundday mornings everyone was sleeping off there hangover. the manager usualy had the worst one so we didnt get any shit for it.

projectsplat

The film guy
mmmm during uni. we had an exam for some bullshit subject that involved using microsoft access. i hated the subject and had never opened the program, and so decided to get mashed prior. I was told afterwards that I got asked to leave the uni bar at 11am for drinking straight from the jugs. I had two mates help me to the exam (because I could not walk) and they put me in a seat at a computer and left.

Apparently I left the exam about 20 minutes later having completed the 1 hour exam. the lads came back to get me at the end of the exam, but found me back at the bar drinking again.

I expected to fail the exam, but ended up getting 98%. that was good, cause it meant that I didn't have to repeat...

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did work experience for uni and set up one week to work with an older electrician refered to as ED by everyone... the "Electronic Drunk". I was asked by the guy in charge whether I had a belt... "to pull the guy off if he goes live".

He drank constantly and between tasks we went to the pub.... by the end of the day he was a mess. Still between whinging about everything and doing some electricans work, never switching off the power he survived. It was a relief to get away from this guy who you felt could get fried any moment.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
As an apprentice got home from a Suicidal Tendencies concert at 6 started work at 7, straight down pit. My crew mates did a (un)fair bit to cover for me but that 8 hour shift was the longest week of my life...

Being hung over and sleep deprived underground sucks the big one.

RCOH

Eats Squid
I turned up for work at my old job absolutely blotto. I think it was either New Year's day or Boxing Day - either way my boss wasn't there and I doubt he would have cared much if he was. He hated his life, wife & kids and kind of lived vicariously through me.

No repercussions.

mtb1611

Seymour
I turned up for work at my old job absolutely blotto. I think it was either New Year's day or Boxing Day - either way my boss wasn't there and I doubt he would have cared much if he was. He hated his life, wife & kids and kind of lived vicariously through me.

No repercussions.
Sounds like, if he was there, that he would've done your staggering and slurring for you!

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I used to be a lift ops foreman at a ski resort in the US. It was early season, and my particular lifts weren't open yet; we were just prepping them for opening. I got about 10 different kinds of fucked up (first week at altitude is always a killer) and was still drunk going to work the next am.

So cruising down to my lift on a nice blue groomer, coffee in hand, I felt pretty rough. I notice a bunch of people in work uniforms milling around the lift I was working on that day. Turns out my boss was having a training session for the newbies on my lift.

I pulled up hard, trying to stop fast and stamp a bit of authority on the situation (I saw some blonde hair and a vaguely female form under a uniform). Just as I heard the boss saying 'and this guy is the foreman for this lift and he's going to demonstrate the e-brake for us' I absolutely belted a big 4x4 post with my entire upper body and (helmeted) head. The coffee went flying, leaving a nice brown arc in the snow...

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
do you call it drunk, after you have slept for less then an hour? and you no longer feel in a "drunk mood" eg, happy and rowdy. but you instead just have the bad side's of drunkness, such as not being able to walk straight, stand in a single spot, or talk fluently?

well if thats classified as 'drunk'. ..

yes i have....
for a period of time, last year it was every sunday, for about 4 months. id pretty much come home after being out, get hoem at about 6-7, start work at 8.

lucky i live within a 5 minute walk from home,. some days would involve getting home, changing washing (before the days of smoke free clubs) gargling a FUCK load of listerine, having somethign to eat, then gargling more listering the whole way to work...

i found this to pretty much eliminate any alchohol odours,

Me and my mate thought the boss was clueless, untill about a month ago, when we were talking about another employee who took a day of work to get drunk the night before. this is when he said, that all workers should just be like you two and just rock up to work of your face's.. in a largly sarcastic tone.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Actually I did rock up to work last year drunk.

Couldn't do it, slept on the floor in childcare, with my clients periodically coming in and laughing, giving me shit etc. It was funny in a way.

But not so funny in a way, because I'm their Personal Trainer. Oh well.

::RideSiK::

Pro Rider
haha a few times lately.

boss just laughs and gives me shit jobs..

the new first year had to go home becasue he was chucking up in a bin a few weeks back lol.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this some type of trick question?

After finishing year 12 I worked for a labour hire company before getting a real job. I used to lay the basketball court at the Gold Coast Convention Centre and more often than not we started work at midnight. I'd go to my god parents house and have tea before work. I'd also smash a few beers or.....ten before work.

Same deal goes when I was landscaping. A 50-50 mix of being pissed and hungover whilst working.