Everyone!! Watch 60 minutes!!! Channel 9

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Channel 9 is doing a story on cyclists etc.
Will be a good watch.
Discussion will follow in this thread afterwards.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Lol just went out and turned on to channel 9, saw the last 10 seconds of it :p

Stupid different time zones.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I watched it, interesting but nothing most of us don't already know. there are idiots on both sides of the argument and if none of them existed there wouldn't be one. I'll stick to downhill, it's far safer..

hazza6542

Eats Squid
It's a fair argument either side. Roadies, give cars more space, they're bigger. Drivers, don't shout, just laugh at the lycra.
Or just do shuttle downhill runs, best of both worlds : )

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The comparison to Amsterdam was the most pointless thing ever, it's structured differently as a society. Having been hit by a car however, any publicity that highlights the moronic behaviour of Sydney drivers towards cyclists is good.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Thought it was a good story. Good to see it wasnt entirely biased towards drivers but still was some useless and utter crap in there.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
The comparison to Amsterdam was the most pointless thing ever, it's structured differently as a society.
Yeah, they've got like, legalised hookers and decriminalised dope.... no wonder Dutch Drivers are so calm...

s

Last edited:

Steve the dog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my idea,

get a off road bike and take the foot paths!:p

When I used to ride 50k's into the city on my Norco Fluid, in parts that were to hard to ride on the road, i'd just simply get onto the path then just wait for the next big road or bike lane... whats so hard about that? but some road riders can be a bit arrogant, its weird coz they are to me and my mates when we ride XC or AM bikes into the city, some just think that because they have a road bike, people with out road bikes dont have a right to be in the bike lane,just because we have thicker tyres and dont go as fast as they do doesnt mean they own it.

but im over it now, ive got a Reign and I went to Mount Cootha yesterday and got real muddy :p ...stuff the road:cool:

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my idea,

get a off road bike and take the foot paths!:p

When I used to ride 50k's into the city on my Norco Fluid, in parts that were to hard to ride on the road, i'd just simply get onto the path then just wait for the next big road or bike lane... whats so hard about that? but some road riders can be a bit arrogant, its weird coz they are to me and my mates when we ride XC or AM bikes into the city, some just think that because they have a road bike, people with out road bikes dont have a right to be in the bike lane,just because we have thicker tyres and dont go as fast as they do doesnt mean they own it.

but im over it now, ive got a Reign and I went to Mount Cootha yesterday and got real muddy :p ...stuff the road:cool:
I take the footpath route on commuting and road riding much the same, but still doesn't stop you getting hit by a car - I have been hit once on a relatively quiet road because the woman was in too much of a rush and didn't worry looking - and most close calls have been in similar situations.

If you think that some roadies are rude and arrogant because you are on a mountain bike, its not true - they are rude and arrogant to anyone and everyone. I have seen some shocking behaviour from people on all forms of bikes over the years, but it is highly concentrated in the commuting community (although this could be because I see lots of commuters each day.

and a lot of mtbers aren't that nice to people on road bikes - why can't people realise that the basic fact is that we all like to jump on things with 2 wheels and pedals and get along? We are a relatively small usergroup as a whole, why splinter us up into different factions to reduce our voice???

/end rant

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
interesting segment

Gotta agree that if you are gonna use the road you should abide by the laws as well, and not run traffic lights etc

well if your driving a car in a 70 kmh zone and some one is holding you up and driving 40kmh then naturally you are gonna get the sh*ts, no matter if its a car or a bicycle.

Im sorry but Im not a big fan of cyclists holding traffic up

Goverment should get cracking on building more bicycle lanes which would make everyone happy

I have to agree with the comments about some of those on road bikes giving attitude to cyclists not on road bikes too. i went out for a relaxing ride with the Missus and our baby, both of us on hardtail MTB's (one with a baby seat) and was using the bicycle paths and the amount of grief (nasty comments as they rode past)we got from angry riders on road bikes was unbelievable. I guess they dont like fat tyre bikes holding them up. I didnt realise we were holding up the Tour de France

mattyd

Likes Dirt
The helmet cam is a good idea. If someone does do a hit and run on you and you're K'Od or worse at least the footage can be reviewed later and maybe see the culprit.

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
I logged onto the website to check out the chat after the episode, every second post was by some tool going on about how bike should be licenced & have rego, how riders do anything they want and get away with it, how riders are hoons or of course f4#$ots for wearing lyrca .. and they were the nicer posts ...

So I drove to work today!

Garrath

Likes Dirt
It is just not Amsterdam. Europeans as a whole are way more tolerant of cyclists. A different mind set that we could do well to adopt. I've seen cyclists in France break all kind of road rules and no one bats an eye. Then again sometimes I think the French consider rules to be broken :eek:, still cyclists are given plenty of room on the roads.

I thought it strange that no one from any of the cycling lobby groups was interviewed but wait this is 60mins we are talking about.

I like the idea that the motorist is immediately considered in the wrong in the case of a car - bike accident.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is just not Amsterdam. Europeans as a whole are way more tolerant of cyclists. A different mind set that we could do well to adopt. I've seen cyclists in France break all kind of road rules and no one bats an eye. Then again sometimes I think the French consider rules to be broken :eek:, still cyclists are given plenty of room on the roads.

I thought it strange that no one from any of the cycling lobby groups was interviewed but wait this is 60mins we are talking about.

I like the idea that the motorist is immediately considered in the wrong in the case of a car - bike accident.
i think that a rule like having cars assumed in the wrong, would just dull down the agro because drivers wouldn't want to get themselves into a bad legal situation.

good to see those guys using cameras, get those guys who are running them off the road etc and take them to court etc, just have to be sensible yourself.

people just need something to take anger out on when stuck in traffic, that caption above, wouldn't they be pissed if they were stuck behind a car, same deal.