Everyone!! Watch 60 minutes!!! Channel 9

Lorday

Eats Squid
Are those guys on 60 minutes on rb? If so, well done guys!

And how about that black klugder? what a fuck tard.

Thirdly and finally, my goal, is to be caught by a speed camera, as I ride past. Seriously been scanning for a suitable location to do a night time run (so I can see the flash) on my bike for months now.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Are those guys on 60 minutes on rb? If so, well done guys!

And how about that black klugder? what a fuck tard.

Thirdly and finally, my goal, is to be caught by a speed camera, as I ride past. Seriously been scanning for a suitable location to do a night time run (so I can see the flash) on my bike for months now.
There's a school way out west that has their classes in the evening. Perhaps you could go through their night time school zone.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I will tell you why bike riders don't have to, and never will have to pay rego.

The RTA says that the primary disbursment of funds from registration goes toward maintaining the road that the cars degrade.
This is why a heavy rigid vehicle will have to pay a higher registration because this individual is doing more damage to the road.
The RTA uses weight as their guide. Which makes sense.

If you look at how the RTA calculates registration and use their own scale, a bike rider (with bike) generally weighs between 150 and 250 times less than a standard sedan.
If you calculate how much a bike riders registration would be based on their weight and how much damage they do to the roads, it turns out that the admninstration cost involved in processing the rego would be more than the actual registration fee itself.

Also, approximately 80% of vehicle owners own a pushbike. If an individual has already paid for how much degradation he will cause in a year with his rego fee, he shouldn't have to pay it again for his bike as he will not be doing any more damage to the road.
In fact, he should get a discount on his car rego because if he is riding 10% of the time and driving 90%, he is doing LESS damage than the standard driver.

So, not only should bike riders not pay a seperate rego, they should get cheaper car rego too :)

*edit* As for some sort of system to identify riders? I would support that.
That's like saying if you have a land cruiser and a sedan you shouldn't need to pay rego for the sedan.. but you do.
Also i thought the majority of your rego cost was VAC (in Vic ateast), not for wear of roads.

floody

Wheel size expert
For me the significant thing is the consequences people are suggesting accountability for rarely impinge on anyone but the rider. Motorcycle and cycle collisions, pedestrian and cycle collisions, property damage; sure these outcomes could have serious repercussions however, they are all rare to the point of insignificance in the scheme of things.

When cars hit things, be it cyclists, pedestrians, motorcycles or other cars, it is ALWAYS costly and often injurious. Thus it makes a lot more sense to have a huge, costly big brother of accountability for these vehicles, where it really doesn't for bikes.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
What sucks is that a serious accident will be the only thing that'll change a motorists opinion. A family friend hit a cyclist, broke both his legs, he is now religious about driving safely around cyclists, lucky for him the bloke he hit didn't take any legal action or attempts at compensation.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Working at a bikeshop i would be happy to waste time entering details for every single bike that is purchased. This sounds like an excellent idea
Every bike shop I've worked or purchased from already had some form of system for entering details for every bike that's purchased. One more copy of a few more details is hardly going to make a big difference.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Yeah, thats constructive............... get your opinion out, but leave the insults out eh.

So I have to have a rego plate on my car, trailer and motorbike so that if I act like a tool, cause an accident and leave the scene, speed through fixed camera's, run red lights, commit road rage etc. people can identify me to the authorities.

But mention applying the same system to a cyclist and I'm Hitler?
1...since when's being called Hitler an insult...?

2...Yes...

But, I'm sure the simpering Australian public would happily swallow another chance to be scrutinised, monitored, clocked, timed...and registered...

Mark S

Likes Dirt
Over on the Bicycle Victoria forums it is mentioned many times that car registration does not pay for upkeep of roads (well, certainly not in Victoria). Regards, Mark.

al_

Likes Dirt
Yeah, thats constructive............... get your opinion out, but leave the insults out eh.

So I have to have a rego plate on my car, trailer and motorbike so that if I act like a tool, cause an accident and leave the scene, speed through fixed camera's, run red lights, commit road rage etc. people can identify me to the authorities.

But mention applying the same system to a cyclist and I'm Hitler?
I could act like a tool, cause an accident and run off... I don't think calling for rego for all but the immobile is necessary though.

If someone had a go at me for not having rego i would be amused. The only time i ride on the road is when i'm in a hurry to get to work and can save half an hour over driving. I pay three lots of rego already - surely that is enough?

I think the issue of cyclists not knowing the road rules is more problematic. Still, surely that is a case of learn them to survive? Darwin at play? That said, i would feel guilty if i accidentally ran a cyclist ignorant of the road rules over... And replacement parts for my car can be hard to find.

Seriously though, how hard is it to find a bike lane? I find it really frustrating when bikes ride down lygon street when there is rathdowne street with a bike lane so close. I think the problem is that people seem to be getting stupider, and stupid people on bikes are venerable. There is no easy answer to that though!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I think the problem is that people seem to be getting stupider, and stupid people on bikes are venerable.
I think you meant "vulnerable" ;)

If bikes need rego then it will set a precedent for a non-motorised device. Only motorised road-going devices need rego (or ones that get towed my a motor i.e. trailer).

If pushbikes were required to have rego, there really is nothing to stop that mindset moving on to runners, parents with prams... It sounds far fetched but unfortunately, the far-fetched becomes reality all too soon. You have to draw the line somewhere and the line is with a motor, and that's where it needs to stay.

al_

Likes Dirt
Autocorrect - an amusing one too! I may or may not work as a writer... that is embarrassing

That is true too. Rego won't solve the problem - forced seperation of cars and bikes works well though. I haven't been hit by too many cars on the trails. Unfortunately they don't go to my office though, so i have to stick to Canning st which is the next best thing

gwawalker

Cannon Fodder
It was very much what we all thought it would be...
I like the comment of, sticking to the off road trails, it alot safer...
And allways good to laugh at the lycra.
Cheers

gwawalker

Cannon Fodder

If bikes need rego then it will set a precedent for a non-motorised device. Only motorised road-going devices need rego (or ones that get towed my a motor i.e. trailer).

If pushbikes were required to have rego, there really is nothing to stop that mindset moving on to runners, parents with prams... It sounds far fetched but unfortunately, the far-fetched becomes reality all too soon. You have to draw the line somewhere and the line is with a motor, and that's where it needs to stay.
Well put!!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think gwawalker is close to the point regarding registration for everyone on the road. Bikes are fewer in number than pedestrians and they certainly impact on traffic flow and safety more than we do. Don't know about everyone else on this forum but I am getting pretty sick of control freaks. We've got a government that wants to control teachers, schools, universities, health, internet and who knows what else and now we have cyclists and others saying bikes should have a rego plate and the rider a licence. Give me a break. To quote Johnny Rotten (Sex Pistols) - "are we in democratic Australia (he said England) or communist Russia?"

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Well for all those baying for Bicycle rego... realise this... once the fat pig has to start payin to take his cycle on the road, due to cycle registration....After he get his "le Coq" plate, he will start to use an ENTIRE LANE.... and by f*ck he's a slow fugger...

careful what you wish for....... you may end up being stuck behind a fat pig wrapped in thinning lycra on your way home... then your optic nerves will need bleaching....

s

mattyd

Likes Dirt
As an every single day commuter I'd pay for some kind of rego system. Not as much as my car but I'd pay for the right to be treated the same as every other road user.

It's more about showing everyone we want to be taken seriously than collecting revenue.
Having some form of I.D would show drivers you are at least a cyclist who is committed to obeying the road rules and it also gets rid of the old "You don't pay rego" argument. We might even be able to get better insurance and tax breaks for our bikes. If the I.d was connected to the person so you could whack it onto the bike you are using at that time. It's a piss easy way to shut everyone up and pull the dickheads in line.

The drivers in Sydney can be cocks but the amount of jackasses on bikes is astounding. I am way more appalled at other cyclists than the odd driver cutting me off. People doing the dumbest shit you wouldn't believe. They give cyclists who take care a bad name. Every time a driver sees you run a red light he adds another penny to the I hate cyclists jar. Like every time you see a cab driver be a tool you remember it and you tell your mates when the
"I hate cab drivers" conversation starts. It's 80% our own fault we are hated.

I think the idea that if we let this happen they'll be regoing prams next is bollocks. Prams don't exist in traffic the same way bikes do. It shouldn't apply to bikes only ridden off road or under 17's either it's only if you want to play in the traffic with the big boys.

england

Likes Bikes
I agree with Spanky, if I end up having to pay rego to ride my old Ricardo to work, the surely that will give me the same rights as a car. Now the majority of cyclists will still sit to the side, but there will still be some who choose the route of "I pay to use the roads, I will use all of the road" I think calling for cyclists to pay rego will give birth to more issues than it will solve.

To add to that, just because us cyclists start to pay rego doesn't mean we will get respect from other road users, even driving my old Rodeo to work I can't even count the amount of times I've had someone in a carolla, commodore or any motor viechle change lanes into me, pull out in front of me when I have right of way etc.

I'm not saying I'm the perfect road user, I make mistakes, but I don't think you can automatically assume that because we pay $X a year to ride our road bikes all of a sudden people won't shout at us and cut us off because we are smaller.

/Rant

mattyd

Likes Dirt
I agree that it wont stop people form yelling at us that's gonna happen whatever vehicle your in.
At least they won't be able to yell out that we don't have the right to be there.

But I have no problem with being identified. I have nothing to hide, I obey the road rules and if I don't I should be held accountable. just like everyone else. Fuck it make the rego free. It's all about perception, a token gesture to show we are serious about being treated as traffic not just a pest.

Once we are a regulated and recognized road user group wit the RTA well have a better chance at getting the things we want like separated lanes and lower speed limits.

england

Likes Bikes
That's a fair point, maybe just have a little tick box with your car rego or an online application for those without cars, so you can be identified while cycling on the road.

Also, a good point about being a recognized body, this will give us a larger voice, and also a better chance at getting upgrades and additional space for cyclists.