AM Evil Following

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time for a new bike build!

Have spent the better part of a year riding a Cotic Soul and I've been pondering what I should build next. The Cotic has been good to me. Has got me through a weekend at Buller doing shuttles and the Epic trail. I've ridden Falls Creek with it and a hell of a lot of Km's on the local loops. But after a couple of those trips in the Alpine areas it dawned on me that some rear cush would really do me some good. Especially trying to follow friends on 140/150mm carbon bikes that seem to float through the chunder!

So here is its replacement...or stable mate, I haven't decided whether to sell the Cotic yet :p

Evil's new bike the Following. After a saw this on the Bible of Bike tests and starting reading some ride reviews I thought I'd better look into getting one across, so I did, and now its finally arrived after sitting on a wait list since March!

Will be my first 29er, first Carbon bike and first bike on Carbon wheels so a lot of 'firsts' for me.

So its a Medium Following, waiting on the rest of the bits to come in but I'll reel off a few of the important spec's off the top of my head.

40mm Carbon hoops from Zelvy
Pike Fork
XTR rear Cassette, Dérailleur + Shifter
Next SL cranks with a 30T
Reverb Dropper
Guide Brakes
40mm Stem with 760mm bars
I'm sure it will have tyres and a seat too.

But anyway, PICS! The colour is a much deeper orange than it shows in the pictures, but it does lighten in the sun. Will get the Invisiframe protection on it this weekend and hopefully everything will be here next week to finish the build!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Awesome!They do get good reviews and look the goods. Nice one man! Look forward to seeing it built up and hear how she rides for ya!

Z

Zaf

Subscribed!

How much did you get the frame for landed in Aus?
Seriously thinking of getting one, maybe post tax return.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Subscribed!

How much did you get the frame for landed in Aus?
Seriously thinking of getting one, maybe post tax return.
Its obviously going to vary with the US/AU Dollar but I bought it direct from Evil for $2750 USD to my doorstep. So not cheap, but cheaper than I could find other boutique frames here in Aus without shipping. Frame left the US on Friday (Saturday) and got here today. So short turnaround there. I emailed Evil and they said that Australia didn't have an Australian Distributor even though if you google it, a company here claims to. But Evil was good to deal with, slow with their email responses but they're being flooded with emails lately since the frames have all come into stock so its probably understandable with a crew of only a few people.

Videos for those who want to know more

[video=youtube;qTOL6C4-7ZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOL6C4-7ZQ[/video]

Plus Bike Magazines interview with the Owner and why they built a 29er.

http://www.bikemag.com/features/exclusive-story-behind-evil-following/

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Goodness me.

How long did it take to order in? A mate distributes in Aus and apparently there's some time delays at the moment. Only heard good things about em, enjoy! Definitely subbed to this.

Z

Zaf

Its obviously going to vary with the US/AU Dollar but I bought it direct from Evil for $2750 USD to my doorstep. So not cheap, but cheaper than I could find other boutique frames here in Aus without shipping. Frame left the US on Friday (Saturday) and got here today. So short turnaround there. I emailed Evil and they said that Australia didn't have an Australian Distributor even though if you google it, a company here claims to. But Evil was good to deal with, slow with their email responses but they're being flooded with emails lately since the frames have all come into stock so its probably understandable with a crew of only a few people.

Videos for those who want to know more

[video=youtube;qTOL6C4-7ZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOL6C4-7ZQ[/video]

Plus Bike Magazines interview with the Owner and why they built a 29er.

http://www.bikemag.com/features/exclusive-story-behind-evil-following/
Cheers,
I e-mailed Evil asking for a quote, but their response is an automated one at the moment. They're on a two weekly receipt of frames from factory and are giving quotes in the order people are asking for them, but looks like they wont further the process until they have something to offer. I'm still looking at a few other frames in category, Pyga Stage or Stage Max (38,000RAN for frame only, whish is just short of $4000AUD but needs GST thrown on it), Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL 970 ($4000AUD for frame), Yeti SB95c (varies as they are no longer in production), etc. etc. etc.

The Evil seems to be winning out, it has the numbers but that classic Evil concern. Seems that everyone who throws their leg over one of them falls in love with how they ride, and the Delta link is brilliant, but concerns about reliablity of it and how long it will last. I hear that the Following they changed the factory for the carbon delivery, and that has solved a lot of the problems they were having with the Uprising and the Undead.

Keen to see how you get a long with it all. God the frame looks shit hot!!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Cheers,
I e-mailed Evil asking for a quote, but their response is an automated one at the moment. They're on a two weekly receipt of frames from factory and are giving quotes in the order people are asking for them, but looks like they wont further the process until they have something to offer. I'm still looking at a few other frames in category, Pyga Stage or Stage Max (38,000RAN for frame only, whish is just short of $4000AUD but needs GST thrown on it), Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL 970 ($4000AUD for frame), Yeti SB95c (varies as they are no longer in production), etc. etc. etc.

The Evil seems to be winning out, it has the numbers but that classic Evil concern. Seems that everyone who throws their leg over one of them falls in love with how they ride, and the Delta link is brilliant, but concerns about reliablity of it and how long it will last. I hear that the Following they changed the factory for the carbon delivery, and that has solved a lot of the problems they were having with the Uprising and the Undead.

Keen to see how you get a long with it all. God the frame looks shit hot!!
Subscribed. I love The Following. Looks like a wicked rig.
Zaf, If you're thinking about a SB95, I'd hold off an see what Yeti will replace it with.
They're due a 29er Trail bike replacement and will most likely use the Switch infinity link .

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another bike out soon is the Canfield Riot 29er. Looks pretty radical and price looks good but no carbon option. Also looks like it's really focused on the downs but it does look hot.

Will have a go at installing the Invisiframe tonight and take some pics. Of course if parts turn up they'll start going on too :D

Word is that the Following is now manufactured at VIP where Santa Cruz is made. There's another video on Fanatic Bikes page and Kevin Walsh the owner is still riding his pre-production model that's a few years old now that's given me some peace of mind. Plus a two year warranty helps.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Subscribed. I love The Following. Looks like a wicked rig.
Zaf, If you're thinking about a SB95, I'd hold off an see what Yeti will replace it with.
They're due a 29er Trail bike replacement and will most likely use the Switch infinity link .
I hear conflicting reports on it. Rowney have said "hold off, Switch Infinity coming!", but there's a big message from JohnP (Yeti Marketting Director) over on MTBR saying that the SB5C is their trail category bike, and if you want a trail bike to buy that, and that he doesn't want people holding out for a bike that may not exist or plan on ever existing at this point.
If my choices come down to an Evil and a Yeti...Life is looking pretty good. Can't wait to see this thing built up.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Nothing better than coming home to new bits!

Still waiting on quite a bit more, just enough to keep me salivating all weekend

Klips

Likes Dirt
Pike plus ikonikon (even on 40mm rims) is a very interesting combo, what industry of trails are you riding it on?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've also got a 2.4 ardent, 2.35 Magic Mary, 2.35 Rock Razor and 2.35 Hans Dampf coming. Ikon's will be my summer tyres here as my local trails are purely XC flat hard pack so fast rolling is the key.

Currently rocking an Ardent/Ikon combo which is working well for me, although the Ikon is getting a little sketchy as it gets wetter around here.

Planning to experiment with the others.

Klips

Likes Dirt
That's more like it! Can't wait to see it built up with those HDs, they should blow up fukken wide on 40s!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I hear conflicting reports on it. Rowney have said "hold off, Switch Infinity coming!", but there's a big message from JohnP (Yeti Marketting Director) over on MTBR saying that the SB5C is their trail category bike, and if you want a trail bike to buy that, and that he doesn't want people holding out for a bike that may not exist or plan on ever existing at this point.
If my choices come down to an Evil and a Yeti...Life is looking pretty good. Can't wait to see this thing built up.
When has a manufacturer ever said "hold off" on buying their product?

Of course they will be pushing the sales of the SB5. They have units on shelves that they need to sell at a premium.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The following is probably my dream bike at the mo'. I'm very jealous and keen to see how the build turns out

JT145

Likes Bikes
Very nice choice, brilliant spec too!

Going to be one glorious rig! Can't wait to see it built up!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got the Invisiframe and boots on the cranks today. Was going to do the frame but couldn't find a 30.9mm seat post anywhere around the house. So it'll have to wait until the Reverb shows up before I can mount it in the stand.

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
Don't sell the cotic! Dual suspension is awesome but there's something undeniably fun (or scarey) about following my friends on dual sus frames down a trail.

I've got a Cotic BFe and Stanton Switchback. They won't win me any races, I'll wimp out on a lot of doubles and slow right down for rocky stuff, but there still the most fun I have on two wheels.

This looks like one epic build - the Following is one of the few 29'er frames where I've thought "wow, if I could afford it I'd get one."
Looking forward to hearing a ride report.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
such an excellent looking frame, love evil bikes, in saying that they always look like heavy frames, maybe its just the solid look of them, any idea on frame weight and what you hope final build weight will be?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just weighed the frame and it came out to 3.1kg which included the headset cups, seat collar and rear axle. Builds over on Fanatik Bikes are averaging 27.5lb so around 12.5 kg ish.

It's a burly looking frame in the hands, and from ride reports its certainly stiff. But it's obviously designed for having fun not winning races. Perfectly happy with that, it's why I bought it!