Experience with SRAM NX/GX/X1?

Squid
I have a new Norco Torrent on the way with a SRAM NX derailleur and shifter. I'm not all that interested in keeping NX on the bike and am looking at swapping to a GX or X1 shifter and possibly the derailleur, too. I'm not really too concerned with the derailleur, but the NX shifter has its own clamp and isn't matchmaker compatible. I've never ridden NX, GX or X1. I've ridden a few XX1 bikes and an X01 bike, and they were fine, but I'm not sure what to expect with the lower end options.

The 538g NX cassette will also be swapped out, but that's all dependent on getting an XD driver for the OE wheelset.

Anyway, does anyone have any first-hand experience with NX/GX/X1? I'm not overly concerned with weight, but would like something precise and durable that doesn't feel cheap.

2017 Norco Torrent 1024.jpg

ClintC

Likes Dirt
I have had three bikes with X01 and am now using a mix of GX and X1. I've ridden one bike with NX and would really steer clear.

GX rear derailleur feels no different to my X01 and is a part most commonly damaged so I feel it's a good place to keep down graded.
X1 cassette is the best bang for buck/weight.
GX and X1 shifter is very similar. X1 is a bit smoother but loses out on the lever adjustment the X01 has.
IF you are looking to upgrade cranks take a good look at Raceface.

Overall my budget setup is less than 100g heavier than full X01 and much cheaper! In shifting I really see next to no difference.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've used GX and X1 cassettes and couldn't tell the difference in performance or weight on the bike (think there's about 70grams). I'd go GX for the cassette every time. Probably use a GX derailler too. I'd spend more on the shifter, will likely give the best improvement and isn't really a disposable wear item like the other parts (unless you have a nasty crash).

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's where I feel it gets a bit murky. I personally think XT is more of a mix of GX/X1, where NX is more Alivia/Deore. It's quite hard to compare!
Certainly looks better than Deore does. Sucks balls that SRAM wont let the big bike boys OS ship it to Aust anymore.

Squid
Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning towards a GX derailleur and an X1/X01 shifter.

The cassette will likely be a GX if I decide the 10t cog is worth it, or XT/Sunrace if the 11t is enough. The stock ring is a 28t, which seems low, but I'm sure these 27.5x2.8 Minions aren't going to be all that easy to push up a hill.

ClintC said:
IF you are looking to upgrade cranks take a good look at Raceface.
The Torrent comes with a RaceFace Aeffect crank that takes direct mount rings and looks decent enough. The only downside is that I have a SRAM 1400-series crank on my SS and the rings aren't interchangeable.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sucks balls that SRAM wont let the big bike boys OS ship it to Aust anymore.
Ze Germans...

Bike24
Bike-discount.de
Bike-components.de

I considered NX1 for my kids bikes, ended up going with the SLX gruppo for not much more.

Remember to put in your shipping destination as Aus or the prices displayed will be 17.5% more that you actually pay.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Ze Germans...

Bike24
Bike-discount.de
Bike-components.de

I considered NX1 for my kids bikes, ended up going with the SLX gruppo for not much more.

Remember to put in your shipping destination as Aus or the prices displayed will be 17.5% more that you actually pay.
Pretty sure bike24 and bike-discount have fallen under the SRAM geo-shaft spell. Bike-components still appear to be bucking the trend though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Where does GX sit on the line up of things?
GX is the successor to X7, NX replaces X5. Theoretically at least X7/GX parallels SLX (it was once explained to me how to make the parallels that when viewed upside-down X7 becomes LX, which preceded SLX) so NX/X5 equates to Deore, but in reality there's a pretty big downward jump from X7 to X5, which could possibly transfer to GX/NX, but I haven't met either group to form a proper opinion on.

XX -> X0 -> X9 -> X7 -> X5 -> X4 - X3 (aka 3.0)
=
XX1 -> X01 -> X1 -> GX -> NX -> X4 -> X3.

For the record, X4 and X3 are utter shite. I'd take Shimano Tourney over either any day.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Pretty sure bike24 and bike-discount have fallen under the SRAM geo-shaft spell. Bike-components still appear to be bucking the trend though.
Sounds about right actually.

One of my orders from bike-components got lost (not happy to say the least)

This order had the final pieces of the bike builds, Rockshox 30 Gold forks and bottom brackets. It sat in the German shipping warehouse from the 29/9 till the 17/10 then they returned it to bike-components.

During this time I had several disappointing emails back and forth with bike-components, wanting to know why the package had not moved on to Australia.

The package has now been re-sent and is on the way... one month late. They didn't seem too worried about the fact and offered no apologies or explanation. I had asked them for a refund which they did not reply to, and I had looked at bike24 and bike-discount to see if I could order them elsewhere, to find they would no longer send Rockshox to Aus, so that would explain the SRAM-BAN by the other two as you said.

Attachments

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning towards a GX derailleur and an X1/X01 shifter.

The cassette will likely be a GX if I decide the 10t cog is worth it, or XT/Sunrace if the 11t is enough. The stock ring is a 28t, which seems low, but I'm sure these 27.5x2.8 Minions aren't going to be all that easy to push up a hill.
I'm running GX derailleur/cassette with X1 trigger on one bike and all X1 on another. Both use previous generation S1400 cranks with DM aftermarket rings.

Aside from looks, I can't, in all my pro radness, discern any performance differences. Weight isn't an issue, as the lighter X1 setup is on the heavier bike. In my experience using SRAM drive trains of varying levels, the most noticeable difference is in the shifter, I've always used minimum XO level triggers since swapping out my first X7 shifter on an old hard waste HT.

XX and XX1 have always been about weight weenieness, with their original design applications being pure race bred XC featherweights. Taking a step down won't handicap your shifting performance and may net a better reliability and strength gain. Go for the best shifter, then look at the highest level rear you can comfortably replace when shit wears out. NB. I am reasonably sure the GX cassette has a steel granny ring, something to consider longevity wise if you will be doing a large amount of climbing in the lowest range.

If you're keeping the baby chainring your bike already has, the 10t cog will be a big benefit on the downs and flat.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Last edited:

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like my GX

Having ridden Shimano XT for a long time, latest bike ('15 Trance advanced 2) came with x7/x9, I was happy with it so when I converted to 1x11 I went with GX, it was slightly more expensive than XT but I don't regret it at all, been pretty well flawless. I'm not hard on my bike though. I don't have a sram hub so run an XT cassette, might shift to sram on the next wheelset.