F1 2011

willsy01

Eats Squid
In short, they penalised them for racing!
It's great isn't it.......they bring in all these measures to try and INCREASE overtaking, then when there's a tiny bit of contact (brought on by aforementioned overtaking) they go dishing out penalties.

The FIA are seriously f*cked. Ditch DRS and KERS......or keep DRS and let it be used anywhere on track when within a second of the bloke in front.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
keep DRS and let it be used anywhere on track when within a second of the bloke in front.
Hear hear! A simple sensor should come alive in the following car and allow the thing to come on, sounds simple yeah?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I thought that was already the case - it's supposed to be GPS enabled.

So far there's been some damn good racing in the first two GPs of the season. I don't really have any complaints other than Hamilton picking up a penalty for defending his position whereas Alonso clearly rammed him in his usual impetuous fiery manner.

As I've said before, the F in FIA stands for Ferrari...

;-)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I thought that was already the case - it's supposed to be GPS enabled.

So far there's been some damn good racing in the first two GPs of the season. I don't really have any complaints other than Hamilton picking up a penalty for defending his position whereas Alonso clearly rammed him in his usual impetuous fiery manner.

As I've said before, the F in FIA stands for Ferrari...

;-)
Surely the A stands for arseholes............:p
I can't agree with you bud, I think Hamilton has a bad habit of weaving and although it didn't look too much like bad sportsmanship with Alonso, it has in the past. Look at his antics last year on the same circuit where he went on to say "I wasn't blocking or weaving, I was stopping him getting the slipstream". He was weaving and blocking and the reason it is against the rules is because it is dangerous. Kovalainen and Webber in Valencia anyone? It wasn't for position but it shows what can happen.
I reckon we should see Alonso and Hamilton have a punch up. I reckon Hamilton would cry and Alonso would beat his chest even before a punch is thrown.;)
I'm loving ONE HD's coverage and the new HD telecast from the races, it looks and sounds a whole lot better.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I reckon we should see Alonso and Hamilton have a punch up. I reckon Hamilton would cry and Alonso would beat his chest even before a punch is thrown.;)
Hamilton would be crying because the first thing that Alonso would do is throw sand and dust in his eye like the cheating dog that he is!

I'm loving ONE HD's coverage and the new HD telecast from the races, it looks and sounds a whole lot better. I've also been using the ONE HD app where I can and it too is sensational.
Still haven't seen it yet. Was at Albert Park for the 1st and have been stuck offshore for Malaysia and China. We get cable out here and the god-awful Western Australian regional programming that is supposed to be television but NO Ten and NO One HD and to add insult to injury, we've got a 3 week break before Europe, so I only get to watch one race whilst I'm on leave, then the f***ers start scheduling all the races one week after another whilst I'm back offshore!

Looks like the Live Timing App will be getting a hammering!

BTW, Congratulations on the nuptials, mate!

Last edited:

Lard

Likes Dirt
Why was Webber on hards? Why is he so crap this year? I dunno if Vettel is really that good, or if red bull are favouring Vettel over Webber and he's getting shafted.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Why was Webber on hards? Why is he so crap this year? I dunno if Vettel is really that good, or if red bull are favouring Vettel over Webber and he's getting shafted.
He was on hards because hards should have been more than enough to see him through to Q2, all he should have to do is be faster than one driver from anything other than the new(ish) team trio.

He must have setup troubles, which wouldn't be suprising given that he was a little off the pace on Friday and then got bugger all running time this morning too. I didn't see his KERS graphic light up either, so maybe he was down that as well? It sucks, 'cause he was fast last Sunday and put in a great drive in the end.

As for the 'Vettel being favoured' argument, I call bullshit. It just wouldn't make sense on any level for the team to do it.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
F*** me! it just goes from bad to worse with Webber at the moment!
Lotus-Renault look like they'll continue with their dark horse antics after Petrov's almost 4th. If they get the reliability issues sorted out they could really put the cat amongst Ferrari and Mercedes' pigeons

Personally I'm stoked for Paul DiResta starting 8th on the grid. He's outqualified his team-mate yet again which is no easy thing as Sutil has shown he's a canny driver in the past. Here's hoping on a good result for the lad. I doubt a podium place is in reach just yet but then again Giancarlo Fisichella managed to get a Force India up there a couple of years ago so it's not impossible!

He must have setup troubles, which wouldn't be suprising given that he was a little off the pace on Friday and then got bugger all running time this morning too. I didn't see his KERS graphic light up either, so maybe he was down that as well? It sucks, 'cause he was fast last Sunday and put in a great drive in the end.

As for the 'Vettel being favoured' argument, I call bullshit. It just wouldn't make sense on any level for the team to do it.
Apparently he's still having issues with KERS. I'm just wondering if it's a height thing as he's definitely not a short-arse and one of the issues that Sauber had with Robert Kubica 2 years ago was that it was a nightmare for them to fit both a 6'2" driver and the battery banks for the KERS system in a very cramped cockpit. I sincerely hope this isn't the case as if it is, and KERS starts to prove it's worth we'll eventually end up with championship full of guys built like f***ing jockeys!

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Apparently he's still having issues with KERS. I'm just wondering if it's a height thing as he's definitely not a short-arse and one of the issues that Sauber had with Robert Kubica 2 years ago was that it was a nightmare for them to fit both a 6'2" driver and the battery banks for the KERS system in a very cramped cockpit. I sincerely hope this isn't the case as if it is, and KERS starts to prove it's worth we'll eventually end up with championship full of guys built like f***ing jockeys!
Yeah apparently he had no KERS, but surely that alone wouldn't be enough to hold him back like it did. I just read his comments and he mentioned he had trouble getting the tyre up to temp, and because he was late getting out for his final run he didn't get the second (and apparently quicker on the prime) lap they'd planned for.
Balls.
Throws my tipping out the window too; I still think Vettel will have a problem tomorrow, but if Mark's not up the pointy end I dunno who could push him off the podium.
Double balls.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I personally think RB are leaning on Mark so they have a reason to drop him for '12. Seriously, Mark's KERS never works and Seb's is faultless. Race after race. A $500 Million F1 don't carry a spare KERS battery. Unless you're German and will sell Taurine by the truck load you haven't got much chance in a team that's little more than a marketing exercise.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I personally think RB are leaning on Mark so they have a reason to drop him for '12. Seriously, Mark's KERS never works and Seb's is faultless. Race after race. A $500 Million F1 don't carry a spare KERS battery. Unless you're German and will sell Taurine by the truck load you haven't got much chance in a team that's little more than a marketing exercise.
Can everybody please stop with these ridiculous Red Bull conspiracy theories? For a start, it takes two cars to win the constructors championship so why on earth would Red Bull shoot themselves in the foot and deliberately sabotage their chances of winning it? Secondly, Webber is only on a 1 year contract anyway. If Red Bull want rid of him next season, there's nothing stopping them.

Nobody wants to admit it but it's a lot more likely that it's Webber himself who is f***ing up his chances. He's not exactly a big ray of sunshine these days and the frustration of missing out on the drivers championship last year is bound to affect him hugely. Some drivers use that sort of emotion to inspire them, others find the effects are a lot more negative. Webber appears to be in the latter camp.

He's been outqualified by Vettel now for 8 races in two different cars. We can go on all day about it being some sort of twisted plotting by RB but at the end of the day Vettel has youth on his side and a driving history that is filled with a lot more success than hardship whereas Mark has spent so many frustrating years at the back/middle of the pack that his eventual brush with glory at the age of 34 would have seemed very alien to him.

As for the advertising/Red Bull marketing angle, I tend to disagree as well. Yes, Vettel being a young scruffy daredevil, fits into their marketing profile perfectly however they do have that section of the market substantially covered by dozens of extreme sports stars (e.g Travis Pastrana and the whole Nitro Circus) Mark Webber (and F1 itself) is another avenue that gives them exposure to a slightly more mature market and no company is going to deliberately ignore potential customers...

Last edited:

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Can everybody please stop with these ridiculous Red Bull conspiracy theories? For a start, it takes two cars to win the constructors championship so why on earth would Red Bull shoot themselves in the foot and deliberately sabotage their chances of winning it? Secondly, Webber is only on a 1 year contract anyway. If Red Bull want rid of him next season, there's nothing stopping them.

Nobody wants to admit it but it's a lot more likely that it's Webber himself who is f***ing up his chances. He's not exactly a big ray of sunshine these days and the frustration of missing out on the drivers championship last year is bound to affect him hugely. Some drivers use that sort of emotion to inspire them, others find the effects are a lot more negative. Webber appears to be in the latter camp.

He's been outqualified by Vettel now for 8 races in two different cars. We can go on all day about it being some sort of twisted plotting by RB but at the end of the day Vettel has youth on his side and a driving history that is filled with a lot more success than hardship whereas Mark has spent so many frustrating years at the back/middle of the pack that his eventual brush with glory at the age of 34 would have seemed very alien to him.

As for the advertising/Red Bull marketing angle, I tend to disagree as well. Yes, Vettel being a young scruffy daredevil, fits into their marketing profile perfectly however they do have that section of the market substantially covered by dozens of extreme sports stars (e.g Travis Pastrana and the whole Nitro Circus) Mark Webber (and F1 itself) is another avenue that gives them exposure to a slightly more mature market and no company is going to deliberately ignore potential customers...
This would have to be one of the most intelligent comments on these issues I have read.
I agree 100%, personally I think Mark has missed his chance.
He's good, very good, but not great and in most cases it takes luck and greatness to win the championship.
Mark is a talented, harkworking journey man rather than a truely naturaly gifted driver and that makes a big difference up at the very pointy end.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Sorry to harp on about this but have just had a similar discussion (i.e argument) with one of my colleagues and it also reminded me of recent comments made by Lewis Hamilton

Red Bull Racing is not just a pure marketing exercise. Yes, Red Bull throw money at them to increase brand awareness - in the same way that Vodafone throw money at McLaren - but the team itself has existed for years, starting as Stewart Grand Prix before changing to Jaguar and eventually ending up as Red Bull Racing. In Adrian Newey they've got the most talented car designer out there and he's backed up by a staff of hundreds. To dismiss all the work of the designers, mechanics, pit crews, technicians and support staff as a mere marketing exercise by a "fizzy drinks company"* is being a bit harsh.

*Lewis Hamilton's quote last week, which is a bit rich when you consider the teamwear by both teams that's sold to the public. Red Bull at least have a strong extreme sports (and Thailand backpacker) background and their logo has become almost as ubiquitous as Nike or Adidas. Mclaren's teamwear these days just make you look like you're doing promotional work for a shitty mobile phone network!

Last edited:

scuba05

Likes Dirt
GAHHHH!!
Tv reception is still screwed at my place (have now found the main problem, as well as 1/2 dozen others), and the onehd live streaming is continually screwing up on me.

So can someone please post up the final places when you get a chance? I lost everything when hamilton was a second or so behind vettel, with webber chasing some people down at a phenominal pace.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Only got to see the last 10 laps, but they were awesome.

Webber was flying! :cool:

For scuba05:

1.Hamilton
2.Vettel
3.Webber
4. Button