falls creek

dunndog

Eats Squid
So got a 3 day window to escape the household and hit some trails, wondering who's ridden the new dh track and other trails at falls and how you rate them? I'll bring both bikes, keen on dh and good descending am. Buller is probably the no.1 choice but falls might be something new if it's worth it, just yet to hear any feedback on what's there now. Cheers!

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The DH track isn't finished yet and there is only one trail open. Best to stay away until they do a heap more work. Mt Beauty has some amazing trails for both bikes.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The DH track isn't finished yet and there is only one trail open. Best to stay away until they do a heap more work. Mt Beauty has some amazing trails for both bikes.
This information is not clearly stated on their website, which also gives minimal details about the features on the trails. I hope people haven't made the trip to ride 2 x AM and 1 x DH trails over the break. I'm not even sure if the chair lift is running or not given that the DH track isn't finished.

dunndog

Eats Squid
This information is not clearly stated on their website, which also gives minimal details about the features on the trails. I hope people haven't made the trip to ride 2 x AM and 1 x DH trails over the break. I'm not even sure if the chair lift is running or not given that the DH track isn't finished.
Too right! If you went on what's up on their website, which I was tossing up, you'd expect to have 3 trails up there ready to roll. Seems they've jumped the gun there then huh..

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I got the following email from Falls Creek, they didn't answer my question about whether or not the chairlift was operating:

Two of our new downhill trails XC1/ XC2 opened on boxing day, the others are yet to be completed and operational, please check our website for any new developments with these.

Kind Regards,
I think they need to hire a PR/Promotions person... Tempted to head up and have a look, but I still don't really know what to expect.

mirbooya

Cannon Fodder
There is one 4km or so loop open. I think this is both xc1 and xc2 loop. It is really good, but over in 40 minutes or so.

DarkShadow

Likes Dirt
Was up at Mt Beauty over New Years and drove up to Falls, they told me the Dh track will be open end of Jan/start of Feb.

DO.NOT.GO.TO.FALLS!

Falls being "open" for riding is a complete crock of ka-ka. The DH has not been completed & there is only one XC trail to ride, which is essentially unsigned & essentially illegal due to it utilising a "Walkers Only" trail. Adding insult to injury (drove the 2hrs to check it out) we arrived & no one on the mountain (Falls General Ops nor the people running the only shop open on the hill- the Foodworks) had any idea about the mtb side of the summer operation, at all.

Needless to say I was bloody-well livid. Wasted an entire day for what transpired to be a massive bit of false advertising on Falls Creek's part. False & misleading information of the highest form on their part.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Was up there today and rode the XC1 loop, it was fun on the descent with all the usual world trail features. Lots of little rocks to pop off and berms aplenty. Surface is still bedding in, could do with some rain as its very soft and dusty in places. I think it is worth the trip up if you are already in mt beauty or bright, but no further. Good news is that world trail appeared to be working on the last section of the dh track today. Hopefully that means its open soon. This is my first time up in the north east beyond buller and I will be definetly be back, so much good riding up here.

paulb

Likes Dirt
Had fun yesterday shuttling the new downhill track with the chair lift along with a quick lap of the new xc and the xc downhill off the end of the aqueduct track. All fun, the DH track is quite doable on an XC bike and the XC has some fun bermy sections - maybe if you could take Mariners at Forrest and tilt it 30 degrees it would be something like this ;)

Unfortunately the last of the chair lifts until Easter, wondering how painful riding to the top of the Downhill would be :/

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had fun yesterday shuttling the new downhill track with the chair lift along with a quick lap of the new xc and the xc downhill off the end of the aqueduct track. All fun, the DH track is quite doable on an XC bike and the XC has some fun bermy sections - maybe if you could take Mariners at Forrest and tilt it 30 degrees it would be something like this ;)

Unfortunately the last of the chair lifts until Easter, wondering how painful riding to the top of the Downhill would be :/
Painful...I did it on a XC bike in Jan up the road to Windy Corner and up Mt McKay road

Dazool

Likes Bikes
Myself and 30 other mates thrashed it out on the three open trails up there yesterday while the lift was open.

In response to my lack of lift availability question to management yesterday this was their reply -

I refer to your recent feedback regarding your weekend at Falls Creek and appreciate you talking the time to get in touch. In particular, thank you for the guidance on areas to promote our new trails and lift operations.

A third party operator, Blue Dirt, will commence operating a vehicular downhill shuttle service from Saturday, 15th March, and every weekend until Easter (obviously depending on when we get the first snow fall). The first weekend will see them offering a free DH service from 10am – 4pm across both days. Please see attached poster. There will be a BBQ lunch on Saturday and a Happy Hour at Café Max on Friday and Saturday nights, together prizes. It would be great if you could get this out across your network.

This also from Viking Lodge -

I spoke to you at the top of Summit chair on Sunday regarding accommodation for the next time the chair is running. I am unfortunately full on the easter weekend but have just been informed of a group running a free shuttle service from the gully car park to the top of Summit on 15th and 16th of March. This is exciting as it will link the Summit downhill track with the Wishing Well XC track. I have some special rates for this weekend I thought you may be interested in:

· 2 nights for $70pp
· 3 nights for $90pp

These rates are for ensuited rooms, the lodge has a large fully equipped kitchen, large lounge with spectacular mountain views and a secure bike storage/workshop area.

Regards

Steve Payne | Manager - Viking Lodge
Falls Creek Ski Lifts Pty Ltd
Merlin Entertainments Group
13 Parallel St Falls Creek VIC 3699
P: 03 5758 3247
M: 0439 610 873
E: vikinglodge@fallscreek.net
W: www.skifalls.com.au

Get on it, the more people that hit the trails, the greater the chance of more being built quicker.

Cheeers. Dale.

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's early days for the resort with mtb but I'm sure once they inform their staff and communicate better with the public , they will start getting riders up there regularly. I think the poor numbers up until now are in line with their ability to promote themselves. That said , shake_rattle_and_ roll , that's bloody pathetic form on their part.

Anyway , had a massive day there yesterday. The DH track has packed down and will only get faster as people find more and more lines. Rode the Gully XC trail which has opened and its a 3 minute hoot , still very fresh but rideable and guaranteed to put a smile on your dial.

[video=youtube;rm5w6P5v3-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5w6P5v3-8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Deathrow

Cannon Fodder
Do you like downhills that go uphill and flow tracks that don't flow?
Then you'll love Falls Creek!
Ok seriously though, don't take your DH bike to falls even though the PR dept got a little creative and wrote on the website that they have a downhill track. The trail they are referring to is all mountain at best, it has a few sections that are up hill and a 600m slightly uphill traverse linking the top and bottom of the trail together. I can see potential for another alpine mountain bike park but they've got a lot of work to do.