Farkin' Creaking Cranks!

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
Anyone got any idea's, Ive recently brought a set of middleburns (Square Taper) and a cheap bb. After about 3 weeks of riding there starting to creak when i put force on them....but the strange thing is, i went for a ride yesterday in the rain and as soon as i hit a puddle they stopped creaking??!!! I went home cleaned em all up regreased the bb put the cranks back on went for a burn and they were farkin creaking agian!!??
Anyone got any idea's? Cheers

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds like the crank bb interface to me. check that netiher the cranks or BB are getting rounded out and that the bb spindle doesn't have any movement.

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
water has this wonderful property of making noises go away!

square taper cranks should always be retightened after the first ride as they will always losen.

and another prblem is that some times the taper on cheep bb's is not always the same as good cranks.

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
cheers guys, im gunna re-check em at lunch (at work at the mo) but, i think it was stupid to get a decent pair of cranks on a sh!t* bb. Does anyone have any recomendations on bb, i ride a Kona and i like to huck...:)

Cheers

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
yeah, they only had the square taper in stock and i broke my cranks that day and i needed to race so......sh!*.....ummmm, guess it'll be new cranks soon then...lol

MrPlow

TMBC
When you say you greased the BB, do you mean you greased the tapered surface? If this is what you meant then there is nothin else to do but take the BB back for a "faulty taper" refund, and tell em you may as well upgrade it...

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
I think it is the bb, im not sure till i take the cranks of agian(which ill do at lunch).But the cranks seem perfectly tight and there's no movements in the arms them selfs....so either the bb had come lose or the bb is farked...only cost me £10, got me through the race that day though....so, at lunch ill take the cranks off and inspect the bb....ill be back..its lunch now..lol

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
Right, i farkin' forgot my crank puller...so no inspection...but i went to the garage and they started to creak even more....so i guess its the bb, any quick fixes?

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
Have you ever tried the RaceFace BB? Or any others that'll hold me doing 15foot drops? I should of waited for the isis i know, but know ive got these i might as well (try) and use them.But i dont really wanna go out and spend £50 on a bb for it to do the same thing agian

Cheers

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
any half decent bb should last as long as your cranks. i would not spend loads on the bb though as the taper in the cranks wont last that long and you wont want to bee left with mint bb and farked cranks.

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
Yeah, i see your point....cant belive what i did know...fark..lol. Well i'll defently be going for the ISIS next time, cheers for all you help guys

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Hey hey hey.... we're talking middle burn cranks here? I think the taper will hold quite a while. These things are the go for many trials riders even in square bb mode. My mate is actually chasing a pair so let me know if you wanna sell em.

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
Yeah, Middleburns are quite tuff.....but the sound is getting worse now, its clicking like my rear hub!!!! we'll nearlly as quick when im pedaling with force...dam, should of waited for the ISIS

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
Most prolly, I was doing some big hucks yesterday...which prolly did'nt help :twisted: do you know of any decent bb that can take some abuse...?

Cheers

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
god there are so many!! and you only need it for, what a few months untill you get the isis.

did you buy it new? yes? still got the recipt! yes! take it back to lbs!
they give you new one that f****s up take back etc.

then they give you a good deal on the isis setup just to keep you away!!

good luck

HeftyKona

Likes Bikes
I'll need more then good luck mate, i brought it from (the dreded) Halfors about 3 months ago (have'nt got the recipt). Ive already been back in there and told them ive only had it on the bike amonth and its farked....they were like, its not my problem....so, i need to find some1 thats had the same prob with square taper cranks....cause im gunna try and use em as long as i can, The cranks are top notch so there's no point in me selling them at the moment cause id lose money...so, ive gotta find one farkin strong bb, Ive beenlooking at the reviews for the raceface sig one, spossed to be strong, has any1 tried 1?

Cheers

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the raceface BB are very strong. but will cost you a spare kidney... ok maybe not that bad, but pretty exxy. if you have done the traditional dance of greasing the threads and cups, greasing the tapers, tightening everything up, and swearing at it, borrow a freinds bottom bracket for a an hour or so and see what differance that makes. that'll narrow down the prob a bit.
if the BB is a shimano unit, and you have your original purchase receipt, try going to a different shop, and asking them if they can warranty the bottom bracket for toy.
is also maybe time to go to halfors (?) and start making noise at the mnager. the BB and hubs should still be ok after 3 months if you have looked after the bike.
give all that a try.