Farking Barking Dog!!

magnetique'

Likes Bikes
We just had new neighbours move in and their dog wont stop barking. Whenever a car drives past, or anyone walks anywhere outside their house the thing doesnt stop barking for about 15 minutes...

Mum went over to talk to them about it today and they apparently just shrugged and said what are we supposed to do? Anyone had this happen to them before or thought of a logical solution short of a beef'n'ratsak sandwich?
Probably our next step will be to approach the council but not sure what grounds we have..

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
tell your neighbours to take it to a dog training school or to take an extreme measure and get its barking muscles (i don't know what it's really called but yer, it's possible) removed.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Get the barking muscles removed.......sorry, but I'm struggling to accept that as a possibility, medically and ethically speaking.

Council is the go, there are usually certain laws in place for this. Ask them to keep the dog inside, when they do, complain to the RSPCA that the dog is kept in an enclosed place ;) I'm sure you'll find that there are laws in place to deal with this situation.

As for the ratsack sandwich, if I was your neighbour and found out that you did this, I'd knock on your door, when you openned it I'd crack you over the head with a rock until I could see your grey matter. After I'd split your skull open I'd piss in the crack. If anyone came to your defence, they'd get the same. I like dogs, whether they bark or not.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
We had the same problem with our dog. We solved the problem with a citronella (Sp???) collar we got from the council.

Within two weeks the dog only barked if someone was in the yard. She growls occationally but thats it.

Maybe you could suggest this to the neighbour. Worked for us. The dog only get the collar if we are out at night until late.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Disclaimer: Sorry, my last was not meant to be any kind of threat or what I want to do to you. It was simply saying what my reaction would be if some one killed a close friend of mine for a relatively petty reason.

glennles

Likes Dirt
they call it debarking. the vocal chords aren't removed, they are severed with a laser.

our neighbours complained about our dogs years ago and my parents were pretty much forced to have the procedure done on 3 of our dogs. after the procedure the bark sounds like a weezing cough.

you could mention it to the owner. surely they would find a barking dog just as annoying as you. getting the dogs debarked was one of those things my parents always regretted. i'd never have it done to any of my dogs, no matter how much they bark or how much somebody complained.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
glennles said:
they call it debarking. the vocal chords aren't removed, they are severed with a laser.

our neighbours complained about our dogs years ago and my parents were pretty much forced to have the procedure done on 3 of our dogs. after the procedure the bark sounds like a weezing cough.

you could mention it to the owner. surely they would find a barking dog just as annoying as you. getting the dogs debarked was one of those things my parents always regretted. i'd never have it done to any of my dogs, no matter how much they bark or how much somebody complained.
thats the thing i was talking about. i just had no idea what it was called. "having the barking muscles removed" was just the best explanation i could come up with

naz

Criminally Inane
did u know dot5 brake fluid makes great dog food.

if there dog barks loud, play ur music louder n longer. nice big "subwoofer bra" should piss them off real soon, worked for me, 1200 watt sub. yum.

Last edited:

cheese

Likes Dirt
Hehe, my dog is a barker. She'll bark anyone out of the street if we are home. If we arent she'll let anyone come to our door. I think shes just being a loyal little guard dog. Someone did call the dog catcher on her once but she bit him then piss bolted, catcher went home, quite wily like her old man. :p

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
glennles said:

That's unbelievable.

I know I'm being impractical and way hipocritical, but I don't think we have the right to do any shit like that to animals. Sure kill 'em and eat/wear/whatever, but locking up in zoos, testing, docking, any shit the animal wouldn't do by choice shouldn't be done. I can't qualify or rationalise my opinion, it's just one of those beliefs that comes from the bottom of your guts and you do more than think it, you feel it. That's an absolute belief of mine.

Whatever we do to animals, we should be able to do to humans.

Eat people, not animals.

.......anyway, those citronella collars sound like the go ;)

Darkness

Rotting Corpse Films
orange cannon...works a treat....or on a more urban/noise polution level.. try the hose over the fence..most dogs hate water from a hose..they will learn....but serious, orange cannon..scares the living shit outa them.(dont aim the projectile at the actual dog)

Reptileman

Likes Dirt
Citronella collars are the go.

When the dog barks, it sprays a bit of citronella on the dogs neck, they hate the smell and learn not to bark as much very quickly.

They are humane and effective. I cant think of any other way id like to see it done.

P.s, keep the dog nearby at barbies, cause if it barks, it will also disperce the mozzies with the citronella scent.....lol

apsilon

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
Whatever we do to animals, we should be able to do to humans.
I've met a few humans I wouldn't mind debarking :D

Never heard of those citronella collars. Are they something newish? I used to have a barker and that may have been usefull rather than me screaming at her.

Reptileman

Likes Dirt
apsilon said:

Never heard of those citronella collars. Are they something newish? I used to have a barker and that may have been usefull rather than me screaming at her.
Hit up the RSPCA, i think they are the only ones that sell them, and any profits go to the rspca too so thats a good thing also.

naz

Criminally Inane
apsilon said:

i know of people who for the good of themselves and humanity need debarking. those chicks with squeky high voices. its like damn id rather u write what u wanna say on a piece of paper

oh and dropindrew he NEVER SHUTS UP.

Gary

Squid
johnny said:
Sure kill 'em and eat/wear/whatever, but locking up in zoos, testing, docking, any shit the animal wouldn't do by choice shouldn't be done.
Yep, seen this many times, sheep/geese/foxes/dogs just lining up at the abbatoir by choice, seems they are so fed up with their lifestyles and being unappreciated and abused that suicide is just the answer :D

I've owned many dogs (and before they ran off to the abbatoir) they never barked unnecessarily. In my experience, and I have had many neighbours who have had these types of dogs, it is "usually" because of some deficiency, be it training/attention/exercise, etc. There are of course some dogs that just bark. They are by nature pack animals and we often forget there is a whole psychology around pack behaviour. As the pack leader, the "usually" male head of the house, can display behaviour that will control the behaviour of the underling - no, that does not mean that you should p!ss on the dog from over the fence :eek: .
Without knowing your neighbour, I'd guess they are possibly too lazy to put the effort in to adjust the behaviour of the dog through training - debarking does not hurt and has no side-effects, can be almost as irritating as the barking, and may be your best option. It just amazes me how people can be so inconsiderate and dismiss your concern - frankly it takes a fair bit of stress to go to the neighbour to complain. I'd almost put money on it, that if you did take out the 1200W sub and shake their foundations, they'd be bitchin to the world about you - try it and let me know, I'd be curious.

I would recommend that you deal with this in a formal manner and under no circumstances threaten the dog or the owner - find out who to complain to, I think the first step is to try resolution with your neighbour, but since they don't give a rat's, be sure to document everything - when you spoke to them, who you spoke to and their response/attitude, when the dog barks, how long it barks for, and it may even be worthwhile recording it. You will find this useful when the time comes to follow a formal complaint through your council.

Having said that, if they are new residents then the dog has just been thrown into a turf he/she knows nothing about and may just be edgy/nervous - perhaps it will just be a time thing and it may settle down after a short while. But take out the notepad and paper and keep records and hope that you don't need them.

Gary - not a lawyer, dog psychologist - advice given is my opinion only :cool:

udi

swiss cheese
johnny said:
As for the ratsack sandwich, if I was your neighbour and found out that you did this, I'd knock on your door, when you openned it I'd crack you over the head with a rock until I could see your grey matter. After I'd split your skull open I'd piss in the crack. If anyone came to your defence, they'd get the same. I like dogs, whether they bark or not.
I 100% agree.

dickyknee

Likes Dirt
Best advice is to work with the neighbours on a solution .( if they are willing that is ) get other neighbours to back you up ( nicely )
And if that fails ring Dr Harry he can fix any dog probs hehehe.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Taking out their 'barking muscles' is just damn cruel. The way to do it is work with your neighbour towards a solution. Those citronella collar's are promising.