Fat Bikes

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Looks like you guys had a great time. Sweet group of bikes and awesome scenery by the looks of it!

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
What pressures were you running? I am still trying to work out the best compromise.
Best advice is to not chase a number plus front and rear pressures can be markedly different. Go by feel and floatation. With your front suspension you can go very low in pressure to deal with steering on beaches with steep side slope and soft sand.

The other thing is that tyre performance relative to pressure is so very tyre dependant. 5psi on a Larry is so very different to a Bud and a Lou.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm running BFLs now for the beach and the front is at 10 and rear 12. Neither seem to be bagging. Sand is a mix of firm, soft and soft wet. On my 4wd on the same stuff I would let the tyres down until they start to bag. But I am not peddling that! Haven't been on the bike for a couple of days because of storms and other activities. I will drop them a bit more until they start to bag and see how that is. Don't want to drop so far that I am fighting the tyres on the firm stuff.

Thanks George.

Edit: dropped the front until it just started to bag then rode one of the sand trails. Made a fair bit of difference, tracking much better. Still managed to bin it 4km from camp though trying to climb out of a wheel rut to avoid a snake. Chain wheel revenge on a bare foot.

Last edited:

struggles

Likes Dirt
I was running between 10 and 12 on my 4.6 ground controls. Others varied.

The Vee Missions on the Wheeler were far and away the best tyres on the day.

He was sailing through stuff the rest of us struggled on.

acads

Likes Dirt
Anyone look into the trek Farley 6 ? , Supposed to be a little more "racey" in the geometry and a bit quicker than the fatboy on ST type trails .

Other option is the fatboy which I like also just cant find a dealer willing to budge on the price as yet .

adam

struggles

Likes Dirt
Anyone look into the trek Farley 6 ? , Supposed to be a little more "racey" in the geometry and a bit quicker than the fatboy on ST type trails .

Other option is the fatboy which I like also just cant find a dealer willing to budge on the price as yet .

adam
A mate has had a Far;ey for just over a year. It's a great bike. Very similar to the Fatboy.

ozjolly

Cannon Fodder
I took one for a short test ride last week. Was surprised it wasn't heavier. Never ridden a fat bike before so not sure how it would compare to other fat bikes, but rode really well. Might be my next upgrade.

acads

Likes Dirt
Ozjolly , which one did you ride ?

The trek seems to be pretty scarce on the ground , I rang a few trek dealers yesterday with 2 out of 3 not knowing anything about the bike which is kinda fair enough as it's not on the Aussie website .

The fatboy is easier to find , just want to test ride it first .

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
so jealous of all you lot with fatties, trying to gather enough folding to purchase one..
anyone keen on swapping a Kawasaki KLX400 for one...if so, pm me - im in Newcastle.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Back this week from a couple of weeks of beach/bush camping. Bike got used every day. Some sand tracks, some beach work. Lots of fun if a little hard at times.

kooga

Likes Bikes
Very subjective question i know, but what speed would people average riding on the sand with a fat bike. Considering purchasing one for commenting to work next year, with beach the whole way. Would prefer riding this than a road bike on a single lane highway, and the beach is shorter anyway?
Cheers in advance.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Very subjective question i know, but what speed would people average riding on the sand with a fat bike. Considering purchasing one for commenting to work next year, with beach the whole way. Would prefer riding this than a road bike on a single lane highway, and the beach is shorter anyway?
Cheers in advance.
Depends on lots of factors but mainly how soft the sand is. In the soft stuff with the wind in my face I was doing about 4kph, on the firm sand anything up to 30 or as fast as my leggies would spin the top gear.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Back this week from a couple of weeks of beach/bush camping. Bike got used every day. Some sand tracks, some beach work. Lots of fun if a little hard at times.
Okay, I'm dead set jealous. Every time you post a picture of that bike I feel like bursting into tears.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Cheers in advance.
Koonga, to give you an idea, at the Simpson Desert race the sweep vehicle runs along at 12kph and if you can't exceed that speed then you're tapped on the shoulder and forced into a wonderful leather-clad air conditioned 4WD for the rest of the stage. Admittedly there are regular sand dunes to negotiate and that knocks the average speed down.

So, on the beach you bank on at least 12kph average. If you can't exceed that then just give it time.....and you will.

Lucky bugger - a beach ride to work every day..... so, with a travel rod you can pick up dinner on the ride back?

notime

Likes Dirt
On the weekend from The Entrance heading South 8kms I averaged 20kph easily both directions just cruising. Then I headed North from the other side of The Entrance and averaged 6kph doing it bloody hard for 10k. The only way to find out is to ride.