FINALLY THE 29er 'FAD' IS OVER FOR ANOTHER 5 YEARS !!!! HOORAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap

Likes Dirt
I ride a 26er and test rode 29er s-works epic and camber and they felt like they were rockets, the epic more so. So 29er is faster.

I then got back on my 26er and rode the same course, felt slower in a line, but easier to get through the tight stuff. So 26er is sometimes faster.

If my 12kg 26er was built to the same weight/spec as the 29ers I rode (sub 10kg) it would have been a better comparison. A new better (lighter, running gear etc) bike should feel faster, that's why we spend $$$$ upgrading. I'm not sold on 29ers yet, but if I had a squillion dollars and a massive garage I'm sure I would have one or more in amongst some 26ers. Choose your event, then choose your weapon.
My wife did some timed lap comparisons yesterday (12km hard loop with a big steep climb) on her current model 26" S-Works Stumpy hardtail & her current model S-Works Epic 29er. While she thought she was faster on the 29er, she was marginally quicker on the 26". That being said, she felt really beat up on the hardtail and didn't want to do more than 2 laps on it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There has been some good points raised in this thread but are scarce.............

Status
Not open for further replies.