Hey guys
What do youse reckon would be the best car suited to me this is my criteria:
-max $10000
-has to be easy to transport bikes
-preferably 5 seater
-have potential to be used for camping/epic bike trips
-reliable and cheap to run
-
tell me if this is in the wrong section or forum just wondering what u guys are using(noob) haha

cheers

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Dual cab is one option, without needing a fancy bike carrier.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Subaru Outback - same body as Liberty wagon, but with a suspension lift, so has a bit more clearance for getting rough. Manuals pre-2009 model have dual-range transfer case for even more dirty capability.

With back seats down can fit two bikes plus camping stuff, but obviously you're then limited to one passenger. With seats up it'll seat five. Roof rails come standard, so if not already fitted, cross racks to take bike carriers are easily fitted. Longer platform than above-mentioned Forester gives a bit more space, quite comfy to sleep in the back if required, where the shorter Foz is a bit squishy.

2.5l motor is reasonably economical, although that depends a lot on how you drive it. Stay on top of oil changes - the flat layout does not like old sludgy oil - and it's almost bombproof.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Oh crap, inb4 peugeot vs prados vs utes vs euros vs 4wd piss fartery.

My votes would go:
  • Hyundai i30 wagon.
  • Suzuki sx4

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Subaru Outback - same body as Liberty wagon, but with a suspension lift, so has a bit more clearance for getting rough. Manuals pre-2009 model have dual-range transfer case for even more dirty capability.

With back seats down can fit two bikes plus camping stuff, but obviously you're then limited to one passenger. With seats up it'll seat five. Roof rails come standard, so if not already fitted, cross racks to take bike carriers are easily fitted. Longer platform than above-mentioned Forester gives a bit more space, quite comfy to sleep in the back if required, where the shorter Foz is a bit squishy.

2.5l motor is reasonably economical, although that depends a lot on how you drive it. Stay on top of oil changes - the flat layout does not like old sludgy oil - and it's almost bombproof.
My daughter was talking about our Subaru (3.0RB Liberty Wagon) today, saying I should have kept it. Was a great car, if you don't need to the ground clearance it's great, thirsty though relative to 2wd modern V6.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Kia Carnival 2010 model is great unless I need to go off road as it does not really do that.
It has heaps of room as I can take out the middle row of seats and fold down the back seats.
Drives well on long trips but it is a Daggy dad van.

My previous car was a Nissan X Trail and it was pretty good and could do the off road thing better.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ten grand will get you a 2010 Toyota Hilux Workmate 4x2 dual cab with upwards of 150,000 km on the clock...I'd imagine other makes can be had a couple of years younger for much the same sort of thing.

Failing that...a three year old Great Wall is probably worth ten grand?

The other option is a Camry and a trailer.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My vote would be an older Outback with a tow hitch, they're great cars & I wish I still had mine (was a 2008). The dual range was very useful & worked amazingly well, could go almost anywhere in the thing save for actual 4x4ing. Heaps of boot space too, noticeably more than the newer Subarus, despite being a smaller car. Long enough to sleep in with the seats down too.

That or a dual-cab I guess.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Dual Cab. Can carry 5 people and 5 bikes without a extra rack. Can go other fun places. Dunno about cheap to run but I didn't have any trouble running a 4wd when at Uni. I commuted by bike lots to keep fit for weekend mtb.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sick white van. You don’t need 5 seats anyway, backseat passangers can roll around the back covered by a tarp if needed.

Subi forrester/outback, or a sweet Toyota camry wagon are all good choices.