First car for mtb

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it's not a ute or van, you'll need a rack to make it easy to transport bikes. A station wagon is great for the rider with no mates, or mates who make their own way to the trails. I’ve got a 2000 Camry wagon (TYB describes it as “the worlds most generic car”) and it fits a Medium framed 29er in the back very nicely. If I have more bikes to cart they go on a Gripsport rack on the Landcruiser

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’ve fitted 4 dj bikes in my camry wagon. Front wheels off, and drop sheet in between bikes. Just gotta brush up on your tetris skills!

The perks of wagons and vans, is your bikes are locked up. I always feel sketchy leaving my bikes in the back of my utes when I’m picking up coffee or ducking into the shops. I miss my subi outbacks and my camry.

Having sketchy looking cars also means other drivers give you more space on the road. “This dude doesn’t give a shit, look out” aha

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'm not a fan of dual cab Utes, the rear seats are often far from comfortable and the tray isn't big enough to be that usable. I recommend a cheap wagon, van or 4wd.

If you are looking for something cheap dont look for what every one else wants. There are some good deals on family vehicles like soft 4wds and similar that people love new but dont really want 2nd hand. Subaru seems to be the exception here, they hold their value well which is bad when you want one for a good deal, and you dont want to end up needing a head gasket changed if you get unlucky.

On the other hand every apprentice is willing to pay stupid money for clapped out dual cab utes so they can hang unused fashion accessories off the side and park up curbs to feel important.

I bought a 2006 xtrail a few years ago. Wasnt my first pick but it is practical, reliable and does everything pretty well. A long 29er enduro fits in he back with the rear seats down and no wheels off. Towbar are easy to get cheap if you dont find one with it. If you want to shuttle with others the back seat is much roomier than a ute and you can get a shingleback or similar with the money you save compared to a dual cab. If you are 180cm or under you can sleep in the back without much issue.

clockworked

Like an orange
  1. Make your budget $8400
  2. Buy any car (but likely toyota or subaru) with a decent tow ball weight rating that can fit a rolled up swag inside. Bonus points if you cab fold the seats down and sleep inside
  3. Buy a sweet rack that does a better job of carrying 4 bikes

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I bought a 2006 xtrail a few years ago. Wasnt my first pick but it is practical, reliable and does everything pretty well. A long 29er enduro fits in he back with the rear seats down and no wheels off. Towbar are easy to get cheap if you dont find one with it. If you want to shuttle with others the back seat is much roomier than a ute and you can get a shingleback or similar with the money you save compared to a dual cab. If you are 180cm or under you can sleep in the back without much issue.
Can't disagree on the previous model X-Trails. Reliable, spacious & deep boot (if you remove the drawers) & 4wd in a lot of models for a bit more traction if needed. I've had no issues with the CVT or anything mechanical beyond a swing arm replacement & CV boot giving up in almost 200,000km. Earlier (pre-2009 I think) CVT's did have some issues IIRC, so might be something to keep in mind if you go down that route.

The clearance won't get you in proper off-roading territory, but it's a bit more capable that a run of the mill 2WD.

I'd also rate them much more comfortable to drive than a lot of other mid-size cars I've driven. I'm 187cm & the driving position just seems a lot better, with more headroom & space overall.

They don't seem to be an in-demand car either (probably due to looking pretty nondescript), so that might help with the budget.

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
forester or crv would be killer i have a forester and i camp in it and built a 4 bike shuttle rack and have an awning and roof bike rack. killer cars.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Unless you have a specific use case for it I see zero value in getting a ute over a wagon or a van. They cost more to run (fuel/ tyres), service, insure, have poorer passenger accommodation and cost more in the second hand market. As others have said a towball, roof bars and/or a decent rack is all you need. If you are going areas off road something like an X-Trail, Forrester/ Outback, Outlander will give you a bit more clearance. Otherwise get a wagon with roof rails for fitting bars to as they are much easier getting a bike on and off when it's just you, and you can fit a rack when it's you and your mates.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Ah the good ole "Youse", I hear this a lot as in "Youse people haven't paid me my wage". Well firstly sir a government benefit isn't a wage but I digest.

There are a couple of rules you need to follow when buying a car for Mountain Biking -

1. The car must and i mean MUST cost less than the bike it's transporting.
  2. If you buy a vehicle capable of transporting 5 people and in particular a dual cab ute, then you automatically become the shuttle bitch and you must sacrifice much of your riding time to driving your mates around who will both refuse to pay you fuel money and damage your car as they couldn't give a shit about you or your hard earned cash.

If you want it just for riding and camping then go a SUV style vehicle, X-Trail, Forester or Outlander. Plenty of room to shove stuff in the back and many come with towbars or just get a douche rack for the roof racks. Otherwise any small to medium hatch will do, I30, Mazda 3 etc.

Ute's are great but for that budget you're looking for trouble. Most will be south of 300k's and will cost a fortune in maintenance.

stirk

Burner
I can throw my bike into the back of my 4Runner with wheels on. With the seats folded down the back is flat so great to sleep in. Easy car to work on yourself if mechanically minded. Troop carrier could be a good option also. If you are camping some of the best places are only accessed by 4wd so go down that path.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d prefer a wagon with the extra security it has. I have a dual cab ute (wife drives a wagon) and find it pretty handy for all sorts of other stuff, bikes are easy but with 5 on board there is next to no space for gear inside. The wagon is our family holiday vehicle because it’s more comfortable, more secure and watertight.

Fitting a canopy to a ute for security means you lose the ‘drop the back seats’ like a wagon and lose the ability to cart stuff that is oversized. Often canopies aren’t very water or dust proof.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Last edited: