First trail wheelset advice

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Now just have to wait for front hub to come back into stock
Nice.

I built the same ones for my son only a few weeks back.

Ordered from R2-Bike for the exact same reason of a front hub combo not being available at Bike24.

Was actually cheaper from R2 because I was able to get non EXP DT350's but I had to go with Sapim Race instead of DT Comps, same spoke though.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Could have got new CL but wanted 6 bolt.
Could not get 2 new hubs or 2 old model hubs from any of the DE sellers.
Could get a new rear and old front but decided to hang out for new front.

Don't think the rear is EXP ??
Think it uses same ratchets as old model but comes standard with 36t.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Don't think the rear is EXP ??
Think it uses same ratchets as old model but comes standard with 36t.
It might not be. If the 2 ratchet rings come out, its not.

I reckon they call it Ratchet 18. EXP is standard on 240 and 180 now and had a lot of teething problems.

For my Spur, I bought a non EXP rear and new (matching EXP decal) front, then bought a set of custom stickers off eBay.

Its a step backwards as a tool is now needed to remove the inner ratchet ring on an EXP hub.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Its a step backwards as a tool is now needed to remove the inner ratchet ring on an EXP hub.
Does that really make a difference? A tool is also required on non-EXP hubs to remove the drivering (which is now integrated in EXP) for a bearing service... So there's no change other than the specific tool.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
On the new model 350 you can remove the end caps, MS driver and 2 ratchet rings with your hands.
Think this is the same as the old model but the end caps have an indentation to make it easier.

Being a trusting soul, I wanted to check it came with 36t.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Does that really make a difference? A tool is also required on non-EXP hubs to remove the drivering (which is now integrated in EXP) for a bearing service... So there's no change other than the specific tool.
Only if you wanted to upgrade or downgrade your tooth count with the gear you already have. Its also not as simple as just swapping the 2 rings on the trail anymore.

We have a total of 7 sets of DT Swiss hubs here now and I can flip freehubs, ratchets and endcaps between them all.

The tool was a $75 expensive luxury before DT messed up but now the Chi's have got on board and its dirt cheap.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Only if you wanted to upgrade or downgrade your tooth count with the gear you already have. Its also not as simple as just swapping the 2 rings on the trail anymore.

We have a total of 7 sets of DT Swiss hubs here now and I can flip freehubs, ratchets and endcaps between them all.
Yep sorry that’s true, was thinking from a serviceability lens not cross compatibility. That said 36t is the sweet spot so whatevs :D

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Looking at DT Swiss wheelset options and it comes down to e1900 v ex1700. The latter being about twice the price, but has ex511 welded rim v pinned, and 350 hub (36t ratchet) v 370 (18t ratchet).

Am I going to notice a big difference between welded and pinned DT rim, and is there any benefit of the 350 over the 370 aside from engagement points (which doesn’t worry me)?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
No question for me as I have DT350 with EX511 J-bend 32 spoke.

How much more would it be to go for a custom wheelset ?
I believe the EX1700 comes with 28 straight spokes.

Is this for a bike that will be sold in 12 months or is it a keeper ? Buy once, cry once.

https://raild.co/collections/wheelsets/products/enduro-wheelset
Bike is 4 years old. Last one was replaced after 24 years so it’s in all likelihood going to be a keeper.

Does Raild build good wheels? Was looking at them this morning. Tempting over bringing in EX1700 from Europe and only about $150 more.

$600 more than m1900 though - curious how much longer I’d get out of ex1700 or custom wheels with 481 or 511.

ozzybmx

Looking at DT Swiss wheelset options and it comes down to e1900 v ex1700. The latter being about twice the price, but has ex511 welded rim v pinned, and 350 hub (36t ratchet) v 370 (18t ratchet).

Am I going to notice a big difference between welded and pinned DT rim, and is there any benefit of the 350 over the 370 aside from engagement points (which doesn’t worry me)?
R2 bike is the place to buy the E1900's. I've just done a load of BuBu on these for #2 son. Works out about €300 for the set.

CHEWY

Eats Squid

I destroyed the e1900 rear rim in 2 weeks. It had the shape of a stop sign by the end. They are butter soft.

PJO

in me vL comy
They use the E532 rim.
I do not rate that rim. Agree it is way too soft for being labelled an enduro rim.
Son #1 made smashed that rim in a few rides, he was under 60kg at the time, was replaced with a FR560 and happy days.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Glad I managed to ignore the temptation of e1900’s then (and the m1900’s I was looking at as well). Raild had a set of EX511’s on 350’s on eBay I’ve grabbed. With a code and voucher I had it worked out close to what I would have paid for components from Germany, and less than a set of EX1700. With the state of the rim I farked, wasn’t really keen on the wait for something to come from Germany.