Fish Lovers and Aquaria

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association

Sorry for the amount of images.
What type of anemone is that?

Question for you, how much success do you have keeping them alive in the long term? We had a sick anemone in our tank when we got it and it died not long after the move which we kind of expected.

I suspect the previous owner of the tank had some funny techniques and his chiller left a lot to be desired so the tank temp may have been getting up there. Plus he was getting his water from the beach, so who knows what was in it.

I'd like to get another, but only if I know its a good chance of being a long term resident of the tank. All our coral (red mushroom, frogspawn and zoa's) are thriving, but I guess that doesn't guarantee the happiness of an anemone. Any pointers?

I probably need to make sure our lighting is sufficient as well.

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Just set up my first 3.5ft tank the other day, letting the water cure now etc then i'm going to be putting in some tropical fish and a turtle, i'll get afew pictures when i have it setup etc. Will look at upgrading to a 6ft tank at the end of the year-ish but probably stay with tropical.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^ dont forget to put only 1 or 2 fish in per water change, as too many fish at once will cause problems, and your water levels to spike and you will end up with all kinds of disease

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
unfortunately my 3 very large oscars died while i was away on holiday for a week. my house mate was looking after them, well she only had to put some food in there twice, but that wasnt the problem, what was, is the heater plug was knocked just a little that it was in the plug but not operating, so the water got as low as 17 degrees :( and the oscars couldnt handle it. very sad, but not much i can do about it now. so i guess that the silver dollars and the convict can grow large, while i set up the massive tank.

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
I made a puffer blow itself up while diving at portsea does that count?..
but seriously I do love fishies (no not in that way) and I recon some of you fellas would get a LOT out of diving! Infact the other night I came across a good sized ray just under portsea pier. sure gets the heart pumping when its staring you right in the face!

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[/QUOTE]What type of anemone is that?

Question for you, how much success do you have keeping them alive in the long term? We had a sick anemone in our tank when we got it and it died not long after the move which we kind of expected.

I suspect the previous owner of the tank had some funny techniques and his chiller left a lot to be desired so the tank temp may have been getting up there. Plus he was getting his water from the beach, so who knows what was in it.

I'd like to get another, but only if I know its a good chance of being a long term resident of the tank. All our coral (red mushroom, frogspawn and zoa's) are thriving, but I guess that doesn't guarantee the happiness of an anemone. Any pointers?

I probably need to make sure our lighting is sufficient as well.[/QUOTE]

Hey mate, cant give you the name of the anemone sorry, just picked it up at a local.
I sadly lost these two when i moved but i had them for quiet some time before that. Just feeding them small amounts of prawn every week and as you said decent lighting. Ide give it a go if your coral is going well as your water must be reasonably healthy!

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had a ray try to run away with my rod at tarthra peer, actually that peer turned up all kinds of creatures from the black lagoon, along with catching lots of flatties, and a few bonito, we caught a port jackson shark, octopus a moray eel, and my catch the massive ray.

apparently they have lived there for many many years.

good fun none the less

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I made a puffer blow itself up while diving at portsea does that count?..
but seriously I do love fishies (no not in that way) and I recon some of you fellas would get a LOT out of diving! Infact the other night I came across a good sized ray just under portsea pier. sure gets the heart pumping when its staring you right in the face!
I used to dive and had some awesome dives with big Blue Groper and the like, but having the fish and coral in the lounge room is pretty cool. I spend more time watching the tank than I do TV. Pretty peaceful place really.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jackmack do you have any extra scooba gear. i would love to go diving. i hate swimming and pools and getting wet in general tho i dont have any worries about jumping in the sea...go figure.

got some update pictures for everyone, my 350lt tank is running sold the other 2 along with the fish, and started fresh, tho i was not expect such a quick production line of convict fry, ive been running this tank for 3months if that, and im about to get my 3rd lot of fry, so i borrowed a mates 15lt tank to put the fry in and let them grow a bit.

so this tank contains cichilids mix of american and african.
mating pair of convicts.
Green terror or (Aequidens Rivulatus) its by far the biggest and are well known for being bullies and in most tanks a pest as they will attack the glass and just about everything in the tank. tho untill i decided to take the fry out of the tank and put in the little one, he has been quite the shy hide in the back corner out of the way. now its another story with in a couple hours he was throwing his muscle around.
Electric yellow i decided i needed some color in my tank.
some dark blood red (developing more as he/she matures) with lots of blue spots down the sides.
and of corse my plecostomus i would like to get another one in my tank soon as they are now on the ban list to bring into the country. unless they are already in and then they can be bread from there.

and a few pics;

ive change the tank around slightly since this shot, general lay out is the same, i like to keep things as much the same as long as possible so the fish can get their own territory (makes them defend their area more often).

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a 4x2x2 with a Murray Cod and four Salmon-Tailed Catfish. Also a 6x2x2 with two Oscars and six Silver Dollars.

Also, 35 litre tetra tank with four Neons, 2 Glo-lights, 2 Lemons, 2 Congos, 2 Rummy noses, 6 small Peppermint Bristlenose and four 5-6cm Gold-Spot Plecos. Plecos will be going in with the Oscars when they are big enough. Currently eating half a cucumber every 24 hours with the help of the Peppermints.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
where are you located and would you be interested in selling one of the peppermints and a gold spot plec?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in Qld mate, not keen on selling any of my fish just at the moment, but check out www.qldaf.com

Heaps of fish for sale on there, infact both the guys I got my Plecs and Peppermints from still have stock.

Keep in mind it is a Qld forum.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bugger im in melb.

(might be an idea also plec's of the bristle nose variety are going for $50+ for a 5cm) and the peppermints and others in the high $150-$250 mark and the zebra plec's the $1,000+ mark for 3cm+

post up some photos would love to see them

BT180

Max Pfaff
I'm digging up this old thread, rather than starting a new one.

So I’m getting back into aquariums after a 10 year layoff. I used to keep Australian natives, so I’m familiar with how to look after and keep fish.

The reason I’m getting back into it is because we’ve inherited a set-up from my wife’s office. It’s a 90cm tank with a side mount/waterfall style filter, a heater and a territorial angle fish named Jeffery.

It all made the trip from the office to my place and after a good clean everything is looking great. First thing I’m going to do is to replace the filter with my old Eheim external filter, after I buy some replacement parts. Next on the list is some glass to replace the missing lid.

Then it’s a light, which brings me to my first question. Are all the lights these days LED? I can’t find much that resembles my old fluorescent tube style light, just these ‘T5 HO Fluorescent’ lamps.

What’s the go, are LEDs the norm these days? Are they only for marine use or is fresh water OK?

Zam

Likes Dirt
WOW, i just checked some prices of LED lighting and man thats expensive....

I would be thinking it be way cheaper to rig something up yourself usingsome cheaper LED ligths from fleabay, either getting the LED light strips or globes....

Although if you still wanted the older Fluro style lights check out ageofaquariums website.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I didn't think they cost that much. Some of the LEDs I was checking out on eBay were only around the $140 mark. Are they just cheap rubbish?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't think they cost that much. Some of the LEDs I was checking out on eBay were only around the $140 mark. Are they just cheap rubbish?
They're not complete rubbish, just make sure you get something with warranty, twelve months should be standard for that price. I'm still running my old fluro's but will be upgrading to LED's when they die.