fitness trainning tips

Olliemtb

Banned
hey guys, im currently trainning up for energy breakthrough, (yes i know it's in november but i want to get in to shape for it) i would like to know some easy ways to train up for endurence events without going to far from home, (please dont tell me to just hop on my bike cus i'm in year 8 and i get sooooo much home work i dont have enough time to go for 50km rides) i have been thinking beep test type stuff but i would like to know if anyone has any good tips.

thanks ollie

ohhhh p.s PEOPLE THAT JUST WANT TO BAG ME OUT DONT BOTHER ;)

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, im currently trainning up for energy breakthrough, (yes i know it's in november but i want to get in to shape for it) i would like to know some easy ways to train up for endurence events without going to far from home, (please dont tell me to just hop on my bike cus i'm in year 8 and i get sooooo much home work i dont have enough time to go for 50km rides) i have been thinking beep test type stuff but i would like to know if anyone has any good tips.

thanks ollie

ohhhh p.s PEOPLE THAT JUST WANT TO BAG ME OUT DONT BOTHER ;)
Firstly what kind of event is "energy breakthrough" ie distance etc. Secondly what is your current fitness level and training?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Start with commuting.
I know you can't work up a real sweat in the school uniform, but any kms done on the wheels will help condition the leg muscles.

You don't need to do 50km rides to get fit and fast.
Try and set aside a block of time rather than a block of distance and focus on your weaknesses first.

You will have to be brutally honest with yourself and work out where you need to do the most work. If it's a consistent endurance you are after then you really need to get some time in the saddle. But not hour after hour.

Also, you need to be realistic about your current fitness and not bite off too much to begin with and injure yourself. I've been there, and it sucks.

Start with making a training schedule you know that you can stick to.
There's no point saying "I'll do three days a week when I can get a day when theres nothing on' because there will always be 'something' to distract you. You have to make training your 'something'.

Break the week up into three days doing different intervals.
Say:

Monday. 4pm - 1 hour ride on tarmac spin session.
First half hour get your heart rate high, and every five minutes do a 15 - 20 second sprint at full pace. Turn around and for the next half an hour keep your heart rate medium/high and just lock into a rhythm and point yourself home.

Thursday. 4pm - 1 hour ride on tarmac medium spin.
Just concentrate on getting locked into a rhythm for the entire ride. Try not to stop unless it's for traffic lights or if you feel a cramp or rest is necessary.
Get into a gear where you can sit on a cadence of about 110 beats per minute.
Just try and make sure you do everything you can to keep the pedals spinning in time, like a clock. If you need to go up or down a gear to maintain this rhythm then do it. Just try and keep that pace on the pedals. Don't worry if your speed or average speed goes up or down, it's the pedals you want to be in time.
This will condition your legs and muscles very quickly to build up a tolerance to this exercise and increase endurance. It will not increase strength and speed (that's what the Monday ride is for).

Sat - 7am / 8am. 1.5 hours mixed spin session on tarmac.
Spend the first hour doing Thursdays workout, then for the last half hour, turn your bike around and do Monday's workout. There should be about ten to twenty minutes at the end for a wind down and just spin your way back home for the last few minutes at your own pace. Always warm down after a session.

This is what I would do for the first Month, just to get my body used to working in this way and so it can acclimatise to it's new duties.

For the next month, I would be working on maintaining what I have built in the prior month, and adding some exercises that were more specific to riding in a recumbent style. I have never ridden a recumbent so I would have to research what muscle groups are used. I imagine core and lower back would be providing some power, but I don't know, just guessing there.

Of course, this is what I would do if I wanted strength and endurance, and is only an example of a formula to obtain this, if you want pure speed then you will have to work a lot harder.

Three days a week, three and a half hours.
Eat well, sleep well, rehydrate, and don't get distracted.

Give it a crack.

Last edited:

placebo

Likes Dirt
i'm in year 8 and i get sooooo much home work i dont have enough time to go for 50km rides
Don't stress dude. You're at the most intense part of secondary school right now. The next few years will see your homework load ease substantially, which means more time for structured, disciplined training and riding schedules without having to worry about prioritising goals and time management.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't stress dude. You're at the most intense part of secondary school right now. The next few years will see your homework load ease substantially, which means more time for structured, disciplined training and riding schedules without having to worry about prioritising goals and time management.
I found 11 and 12 more intense than year 8.

burnside97

Likes Dirt
road bike miles. or lower than 85%ish heart rate activities ie smashing yourself on a 20 km xc loop. Do this a couple of times a week and you will see your endurance go up quickly. So like somebody said earlier, commuting is a good place to start

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You are in year 8 so the main thing is doing what is good for you. That means concentrating on school and not damaging a growing body. By doing that you will develop basic confidence in your abilities, something more mature athletes struggle with.

You have the advantage that puberty guarantees physical development without having to work as hard as an older dude. However it also means you can damage growing body parts like muscles and especially tendons where they join to bones due to stresses on structures with limited ability to repair (and are already stressed to the limit by growth). Those injuries will rob you of peak performance and may stay with you for life.

This may sound really daggy, but what about wearing weights under your clothes all the time? If your Mum can sew she may be able to make a vest that could hold 10-15kg of weights. Let some sucka try to punch you in the gut at school with that load under your uniform! Your endurance and strength will increase without doing anything damaging in a rush to get fit after school.

Fast metabolism, plus increased exertion, plus doing lots of different 14 year old activities, including lots of school sports for cross training, plus being able to eat wantonly = a fitter, stronger rider. Also, you must ride as much as you can.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
This may sound really daggy, but what about wearing weights under your clothes all the time? If your Mum can sew she may be able to make a vest that could hold 10-15kg of weights.
"Awwww, Mum"

Serious though, I just googled weight vest and you can get em. Well, I'll be...
You'll get buff AND look like an SAS recruit :)

Last edited:

Anna85

Likes Bikes
Hi there, am i right that "energy breakthrough" is you creating a pedal car that you ride for 24 hours or so? If so, its best to start training on a Recumbent bike (you in a seated position with your legs horizontal as it trains your hip flexors and quads better.

Battler

Likes Dirt
It seems as if you slept through those classes which taught the meaning and use of sarcasm.
And for those who weren't sleeping, weren't listening either, gauging from your poor efforts at a sarcastic sentence.

I prefer a blunt approach, " year 8's a walk in the park, if your struggling now with work load, your in some serious strife cause it only gets 100x worse".

If you want to get fit bad enough, you will make time, its a choice not a matter of time, especially at your age. I work 6am till 5 30 pm 5-6 days a week, have time to train twice a week and play a game on the weekend, go wakeboarding regularly, walk the dog daily and have a relationship.

Get motivated, take the advice and make time.

cluster

Likes Dirt
I prefer a blunt approach, " year 8's a walk in the park, if your struggling now with work load, your in some serious strife cause it only gets 100x worse".
Thank you. This gets the message across much better. :)

EDIT: for the record (and the sleep deprived), no sarcasm intended.

shcotty

Likes Bikes
Everyone has to remember when training especially with downhill. Not only to train to get fit but you have to through in a fair bit of skill training. That was my biggest mistake, in the gym and on the roadie. went to race got to a rock garden didnt know what to do basically.
most meople thinks that, that is a no brainer but you kind of forget.

Farma

Squid
I'm not too experienced at specific MTB training so others feel welcome to comment, but, would a wind trainer be useful to you, if you are looking exclusively for improved fitness (as opposed to skills out on the trails)? Set up at home, you don't have to ride far, and you can jump on it when you just have 20 minutes or so and smash out some intervals on it.