Five ten freeriders

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, newbie here
Just a quick one, just bought some new flat pedals n was thing of getting some "five ten" freerider shoes to go with them! I've read a heap of reviews about them and all I've heard are good things! Just wanted to know if anyone here rides with them and if there all there wrapped up to be??!

Thanks heaps

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, newbie here
Just a quick one, just bought some new flat pedals n was thing of getting some "five ten" freerider shoes to go with them! I've read a heap of reviews about them and all I've heard are good things! Just wanted to know if anyone here rides with them and if there all there wrapped up to be??!

Thanks heaps
Got em and they're awesome, sometimes they're to awesome. Can be quite "sticky" when re positioning your feet on the pedals. Apart from that they're the biz. Get em!

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Haha sounds good! I was going to get them of CRC but apparently there not that great anymore, might check out wiggle or is there any other decent sites around??

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Got em and they're awesome, sometimes they're to awesome. Can be quite "sticky" when re positioning your feet on the pedals. Apart from that they're the biz. Get em!
Haha sounds good! I was going to get them of CRC but apparently there not that great anymore, might check out wiggle or is there any other decent sites around??

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I have them too, they're quite simply the shit, grippy, durable and come in a fair few colourways, plus there is countless reviews online for them so that would be your best bet to finding some more informed opinions

I got mine from wiggle within a week and they were $30 cheaper than CRC

Fish90

Likes Dirt
bought a pair of size 12's a few weeks back...but useless to the OP unless he's a size 11
Thanks heaps guys, just got back from a ride with my old nike runners, there just not quite upto scratch! Convinced my better half to get me a pair of the five tens for my Xmas prezzie! Woohoo love you dear ;)

Last edited:

Blotto

Likes Dirt
I'm super glad I found this thread. Whilst the amount of riding I do these days on flat pedals is limited to commuting (all weather and all terrain mind you), I'm seriously looking at a pair of freeriders as a more of an "adventure" shoe.

My thinking is that I'd wear them commuting, as well as on those days with jeans when it's raining/muddy, to 24hour races for cutting around camp, and take them to Bali as an all-terrain shoe for mild hikes and getting around when it's wet.
Does anyone have any experience in this sort of use for them? and can anyone comment on the fashion-ability of them? As in, does anyone have any non-marketing photos of the actual shoes being worn?

My better half won't buy them for me because she thinks they look too "skate" shoe. Whilst I can see that, I believe the MacAskill models are more like a skate shoe, and I'm having a hard time convincing her that the plain freerider ones are the go. Can anyone help me out here? I'm looking at getting the plain black ones, although the flame/caviar are my favourite but I can't find them in my size (EU47, US13, UK12).

Failing this, does anyone have any other suggestions for such a shoe?

Fish90

Likes Dirt
I'm super glad I found this thread. Whilst the amount of riding I do these days on flat pedals is limited to commuting (all weather and all terrain mind you), I'm seriously looking at a pair of freeriders as a more of an "adventure" shoe.

My thinking is that I'd wear them commuting, as well as on those days with jeans when it's raining/muddy, to 24hour races for cutting around camp, and take them to Bali as an all-terrain shoe for mild hikes and getting around when it's wet.
Does anyone have any experience in this sort of use for them? and can anyone comment on the fashion-ability of them? As in, does anyone have any non-marketing photos of the actual shoes being worn?

My better half won't buy them for me because she thinks they look too "skate" shoe. Whilst I can see that, I believe the MacAskill models are more like a skate shoe, and I'm having a hard time convincing her that the plain freerider ones are the go. Can anyone help me out here? I'm looking at getting the plain black ones, although the flame/caviar are my favourite but I can't find them in my size (EU47, US13, UK12).

Failing this, does anyone have any other suggestions for such a shoe?

Haha my partner dosnt like the skate style look of them either, but told her I was just using them for riding not everyday use ;) just can't find anywhere in adelaide that stocks them to try a pair on first!!

Ricker

Likes Dirt
I have been riding in some 510 free ride for the last 6 months. They change your riding ability considerably. With a decent flat pedal you stick exceptionally. The only time I find they slip is when i'm seated and changing gears. Every now and again my derailleur doesn't do a great job and I get a bit of a loose moment on the chain tension at which i can manage to sometimes lose my footing. But i'm talking like once or twice on a ride at most. Thats a chain thing not a shoe thing anyway, so your laughing all the way.

Kramer

FoBR
I ride DJs and skate park with Freeriders (last year's model). Love their awesome grip - I have virtually no pedal rips in my legs now!
No so sure about the current revised model with the smooth patch to help repositioning? I reckon that could lead to some nasty landings :-o

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
Get them ! Get them now!!!

Get the Sam Hill ones if you want to go hard in the dirt and the Freeriders for the bike park in town.
Either way 5/10's rock,get them and some DMR V12's and you are on a good thing.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I've been riding my free rides for over a year now would be quite a few thousand kms on them mainly trail and XC and some DH all mountain stuff. Great shoes and great quality. Can't remember if the sizing is big or small as they are the only shoes I wear both riding and out and about. Just give them a scrub every know and then or clap them together to get the dust off. Were def a big step up in grip, mine have hardened somewhat but still great with just my wellgo pedals.
Trying spd in the new year though.

SKED

Squid
Yep, another happy freerider owner here. Had them for about a year, and they're lasting pretty well. I use them with some old, beaten around shimano DX flats, and what can I say, they do their job and grip well, and they aren't that bad pedaling either. I went with the white tiger one, mainly cause it's fully synthetic leather and repels a bit of water.

As for them looking too 'skate shoe'-y, as long as you don't get a pair that are too big for you, they don't look too bulky. If you actually do the laces up, they slim down a little bit.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
My partner things they look like orthopaedics that old men wear in retirement homes... I am in agreement with her, but still wear them - they look good with my knee high socks.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Hey cookie!

I actually own a pair, and know their benefits - though the tongue on them drives me insane!

Still make you look like gran dad LOL.