Five Ten Quality Going Down?

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Even at that price they aren't the value they used to be, but it seems I'm not alone.

I'm going to send an email. (cue dramatic music)

omac

Likes Dirt
They are exactly what i bought about 3 weeks ago, for $80…

My previous impacts lasted almost 5 years.
I paid $80 from Pushies a few months ago but Iv kept them boxed up as spares, so I was spewing when I saw them for $50.

Iv only had my first pair last 5 years, the rest of them have been about 2 or 3 years, IMO riding through water seems to kill them quicker.

driftking

Wheel size expert
No idea on quality but I had a pair back in 2007ish and I loved them

I recent purchased a pair of the V2 impacts (I was going to wait for the new VXi but really didnt have the money)

After been happy with the old impacts I figured these would be great, so far They work well but they are so chunky, I was surprised it feels like I am wearing shoes with a 2inch lift, so unnatural I am yet to ride with them yet, I have just worn them and gone for a spin on the street.
I have not given them a solid rid but I am not happy with the shoes design. The older shoes were much better.

I may even consider selling them and forking out the cash for the new ones.
Anyone who likes these shoes and wants a pair in size 8 (yes I have small feet shut up haha) give me a pm I may be selling.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I paid $80 from Pushies a few months ago but Iv kept them boxed up as spares, so I was spewing when I saw them for $50.
Ha yeah me too!! No water involved with my few rides, just kids craft glue used in manufacture..

Minlak

custom titis
Well just tried out my Karvers for a few hours on the local trails. Shoe seems good sole was sticky and felt solid on the amp's I kept trying to unclip but lol. Ran into my "shimano" problem however so will have to find a different pair of shoes again.

*shimano problem :- the little toe on my left foot that has been broken lots gets sore in certain shoes mainly shimano that I have tried. Even the extra wide fittings it is just a construction thing with where support goes.

Any one want size 13 / 1 ride old Karvers? Lol.....

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in a similar boat here. My original 5.10s lasted at least 5 years before the sole separated.

My latest set barely lasted a week being used as walking shoe before the sole started coming apart. Sure, they are not intended for this use, but steady walking is something any shoe should be able to hold up to. I suspect if all of you actually did some walking in yours, their life would be even worse.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are getting 5 years out if a pair of riding shoes it's because you don't ride nearly enough. I recently tossed my first pair of suede impacts in the bin. They'd been relegated to trail building/ mowing shoes years ago. After a year and a bit of solid riding, the sole is worn and usually has holes from pedal pins (DMR vaults). I think my new freerider vxi are the BEST quality of any of the 4 pairs I've owned.

AndySTi

Likes Dirt
Glue on the rubber around the front is woeful on my newer ones. On a warm day they delaminate.
I've experienced this as well. I just folded back the exposed area, cleaned off the old glue and re-applied some new stuff. Been going good ever since. That said, a MTB shoe should be able to cop some abuse!!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Just got my first pair of Five Ten shoes.

2014 Danny Macaskill Freeride, size EU47.

They feel super stiff, and appear to be very well built.
Nice leather, etc.

Guess we'll see how long they last! :)

Minlak

custom titis
I just ordered these to see how they go. A bit more expensive than 5.10's but I hope I wont get the toe issue.

adidas stealth 2.jpg
adidas stealth.jpg

stoo

Likes Dirt
I've experienced this as well. I just folded back the exposed area, cleaned off the old glue and re-applied some new stuff. Been going good ever since. That said, a MTB shoe should be able to cop some abuse!!
I have two pairs of Impact Hi, they were ace until I left them in the sun one afternoon and the sole fell off.
I tried glueing the soles back on the older pair with black Sikaflex, first ride on Saturday and they stayed put. What kind of glue did you use? I was going to try using a contact adhesive but Kingshill was kind enough to try that on his first, he said it didn't work. ( but he is an accountant, probably didn't apply to both sides and let it go off )

Exie

Likes Dirt
Interesting topic...

My first pair of 5.10's were fantastic. Even my second pair were great, I got at least 2 years out of them. But my last 2 pairs have been pretty average.

I just put it down to the fact they got brought out by Adidas.

I'm actually up for some new shoes right now, its going to be tough to buy another pair of 5.10s

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
I have two pairs of Impact Hi, they were ace until I left them in the sun one afternoon and the sole fell off.
I tried glueing the soles back on the older pair with black Sikaflex, first ride on Saturday and they stayed put. What kind of glue did you use? I was going to try using a contact adhesive but Kingshill was kind enough to try that on his first, he said it didn't work. ( but he is an accountant, probably didn't apply to both sides and let it go off )
Yes did that, does not work.

The urenthane glue method works well as per the link to the thread above. Wrap them up with gaffa tape and leave for 24 hours at least. Much better result.

Apparently adidas bought out 5.10. Any idea what happens when a good company sells out to the large corporate?

boysik

Pro Rider
Five Ten Sizing and QC

If only I wasn't size 14...
Pisses me off that nobody in Australia stocks size 14!
Hey Ezkaton,
We are currently carrying US 14 in Impact Hi Black, Freerider VXi Red and Pumice Black (Blue actually). Your local dealer can get these in for you. (We have sold out of Impact Low in 14 sorry)

Lusty will be getting US 14 shoes (and down to US 6 ) to try and fit all the people of our fine land - in the new Impact VXi Flat and SPD ranges

For all you other Rotorburners; Lusty Ind has now been distributing Five Ten for a little while now and still carrying original stock from the previous supplier. We are waiting on new models and refills due to factory production delays. Not long now, new stock should be due late May.

On the Quality issue we have also noticed a small batch that have come back immediately with gluing problems. If you are having troubles take them back to your trusty retailer and we'll do our best to take care of you.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
resole?

Hi guys. Not sure on price of these shoes and if its worth it but Big John Resoles can prob help out. I've gotten them to do resoles for rock climbing shoes and they are great.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Hey Ezkaton,
We are currently carrying US 14 in Impact Hi Black, Freerider VXi Red and Pumice Black (Blue actually). Your local dealer can get these in for you. (We have sold out of Impact Low in 14 sorry)

Lusty will be getting US 14 shoes (and down to US 6 ) to try and fit all the people of our fine land - in the new Impact VXi Flat and SPD ranges
Ah, thanks for that info.
I ended up ordering the Danny Macaskill Freeriders from Chain Reaction Cycles for about $120, and had them arrive yesterday.

I'm quite picky about colors, and noticed most of Five Ten's range is pretty hideous, but I will keep you guys in mind when the time comes for a new pair. :)