Flats vs Clipless (not your usual)

teK--

Eats Squid
I ride flats, just don't feel as confident in clips.

It's a bit out there but I'd like to see how flats go with some additional way of locating the foot consistently on the pedal.

Something like a locating pin in the middle of the pedal that interfaces with a concave, conical shape on the shoe... I'd guinea pig it!
Mate!!! Exactly what im looking for.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I ride flats, just don't feel as confident in clips.

It's a bit out there but I'd like to see how flats go with some additional way of locating the foot consistently on the pedal.

Something like a locating pin in the middle of the pedal that interfaces with a concave, conical shape on the shoe... I'd guinea pig it!
Tek screws are cheap.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I ride clipped in. I tried flats for a year and never got comfortable with my foot placement. I run big platform pedals so if I can't clip in straight away, I can still keep on the pedals until I can. I don't really have trouble unclipping for a dab but if the trail is super steep and slow or I'm doing skills stuff, I do prefer not to be clipped in.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Never too late to switch back if you want!
True, I tried toe clips when they came on early 90's bikes and removed them straight away. Looked like a great way to dislocate a knee if you couldn't escape. Rode the BMX'er with KKT rat traps for years and earnt a few knee scars from those.

I am just used to clipless now and have the tension on low so can exit quick enough if needed.

I must have subconsciously bought the propaganda that you get moar powah on the upstroke and some marketing departments added % efficiency promise.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Flats for mtb, clips for road/‘gravel’.
I ran flats on my roadie too. There’s an interesting study I saw somewhere that determined that the “spinning circles” or “push/pull” pedalling methods were generally less efficient than simply pushing down on the downstroke.

Having said that, the roadie was the only time I’ve felt issues with having my foot in the wrong spot like TeK mentioned. Probably due to being in a fixed position all the time. Never noticed it off road.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I ran flats on my roadie too. There’s an interesting study I saw somewhere that determined that the “spinning circles” or “push/pull” pedalling methods were generally less efficient than simply pushing down on the downstroke.

Having said that, the roadie was the only time I’ve felt issues with having my foot in the wrong spot like TeK mentioned. Probably due to being in a fixed position all the time. Never noticed it off road.
I think the whole pro peloton must have also seen that study. Explains why they ALL ride flats.

Knee issues are very common on roadbikes if you haven't got your set up dialled, and don't maintain good pedalling form.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I ran flats on my roadie too.
I did too for a while. Probably 2 years or so. But the roadies always got suspicious when I joined a group ride, and (probably with reason) concluded I had no bike handling skills. I sure showed them with my mid pack pedal flips!

Main reason I switched to clips was for stiffer/lighter shoes. I run 2 bolt spd though, not spd-sl. Which means the full roadies are still half suspicious…

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I used to run platform spd on all bikes but riding the fatbike on soft sand cured that. I just run nice flats with lethal spikes one side and nothing the other. Lets me barefoot on the beach while still proving ankle shredding steel.

dan76n

Likes Bikes
I prefer flats but will switch to clips if I'm doing a longer ride as I like the ability to pull up when on the pedals.
I've had 2 big crashes and both were clipped in where I've landed nose heavy off a jump. Not sure why but when I jump (I don't jump big) I seem to pull up with my feet when I'm clipped in.
When climbing techy bits I am way more confident in flats as I've fallen on some rock climbs a few times due to not being able to unclip.
I've also had many falls of shame when clipped in.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Clips on my enduro (and roadie), flats on my xc/downcountry/plaything and dirtjumper. Ride all bikes each week.

Recently due to a dead pedal went to flats on the enduro.... slower in chunder, fine everywhere else. Found the same when racing DH would run clips on the chunkiest tracks. Flats are super fun on play bikes, love a foot out drift with ability to stomp on the pedal and go but find the whole foot in the wrong place in rough stuff annoying. Never seem to get caught up in my bike on the enduro.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Clips on my enduro (and roadie), flats on my xc/downcountry/plaything and dirtjumper. Ride all bikes each week.

Recently due to a dead pedal went to flats on the enduro.... slower in chunder, fine everywhere else. Found the same when racing DH would run clips on the chunkiest tracks. Flats are super fun on play bikes, love a foot out drift with ability to stomp on the pedal and go but find the whole foot in the wrong place in rough stuff annoying. Never seem to get caught up in my bike on the enduro.
I'm the same with choppy trail, especially if you have to pedal a bit as well. Clips just keep your feet where you want them. When it gets real steep with the possibility of needing to bail, I'd prefer flats.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Mate!!! Exactly what im looking for.

Not tried these myself, but saw a bloke on the trail with them and they seemed to do what you guys are describing.

I don't have issues locating the foot, it's not always 100% on the same spot, but it doesn't make that much of a difference to performance imo.

For me, clips on everything from road up to XC. For everything else, it's flats.