SA Flinders Outback Epic 64/109/205km Sat Nov 1st

ads_11

Likes Bikes
I am hoping to do the 109 on my rigid FAT bike this year. Ti frame with carbon forks, so a little more compliant but it is still going to hurt! I will see how the next few weeks go with any sort of training and I suspect a decision will be made on the day if I downgrade to the 64K.
Oh, and perhaps the number of beers Ozzy and I consume the night before might influence that decision too hahah

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
So it seems that to maintain the pretence of being a partial hard nut 'burner disguised as a middle aged beanbag then the Twinzer it is...no bad thing since I really like that bike.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought about a carbon fork last year but was glad to have a bit of squish.

Don't listen to Ozzy who does not own any squishy forks or Acko who is simply mad.....

silentbutdeadly

I thought about a carbon fork last year but was glad to have a bit of squish.

Don't listen to Ozzy who does not own any squishy forks or Acko who is simply mad.....
You forgot about the other nutjob with the rigid fat bike...frankly it seems that we might all be in good company on this event. If a little spread out over the countryside....

Bringing the Anthem seems like the sensible choice but far from the Farkin option...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just make sure you have a reliable tubeless set up, there was a few people last year that had tyre issues as it can be a bit rough at the beginning with small rocks.

Then there was one who ran such a tight schedule getting there, he arrived with a deflating wheel.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just make sure you have a reliable tubeless set up, there was a few people last year that had tyre issues as it can be a bit rough at the beginning with small rocks.

Then there was one who ran such a tight schedule getting there, he arrived with a deflating wheel.
what an idiot, he was lucky he even finished.....

I heard the same guy had it happen again at an 18 hour race on the weekend- new bike, flat tyre before the start, went down on the 1st lap but lucky for him after he pumped it up it held for the rest of the race...

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Both have properly set-up tubeless wheels. That said the Twinzer has a fast but fragile Vredestein Spotted Cat on the back...and a Stan's Universal Valve that has a history of coming loose. Methinks some threadlocker and the proven Geax Saguaro/AKA combination might be a go.

ads_11

Likes Bikes
I ran saguaro's last year on my dually and had no issues.. But I only did the 64 last year so missed that rocky shit at the start of the 109...

Speaking of tyres, what's your thoughts OzZy on keeping the HuDu's or changing to a brand new set of knards??? Knards are 3.8" though.

ads_11

Likes Bikes
Week to go. Weather is looking OK with 29C and a possible shower the latest forecast.

Still looking at the 109k for me!

silentbutdeadly

Week to go. Weather is looking OK with 29C and a possible shower the latest forecast.

Still looking at the 109k for me!
I'll be there for the 109 - already on the starting list. Only challenge is making the registration & breifing on Friday arvo so it might have to happen at Willow Point on Saturday morning.

After that it'll be the south south westerly headwind on the homeward leg!!!

Pulled back on the Farkin option too due to a dodgy tubeless valve on the rear wheel (that's my excuse anyway!). So it is full slushy for me...

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
205km unsupported for me, feeling a bit nervous as to how I will go as I have not done a heap of riding the past months....