SA Flinders Outback Epic 64/109/205km Sat Nov 1st

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
205km unsupported for me, feeling a bit nervous as to how I will go as I have not done a heap of riding the past months....
Fancy giving me a push or perhaps even a tow when you come past me? I've never done 100kms on double track before and nothing much in the way of hills either!

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fancy giving me a push or perhaps even a tow when you come past me? I've never done 100kms on double track before and nothing much in the way of hills either!
If I catch you there is more chance you get the finger than a tow. :pound:

Forecast is down to 26C for Sat so looking good.

I am hoping for a more relaxed start than I had last year and have gone Snakeskin so hope I can keep the air in my tyres this year.....

ads_11

Likes Bikes
You and me both mate..This will be the longest distance I have ever done and by far the most uphill.. Still going to fatbike it though so must be a sucker for punishment..

ads_11

Likes Bikes
If I catch you there is more chance you get the finger than a tow. :pound:

Forecast is down to 26C for Sat so looking good.

I am hoping for a more relaxed start than I had last year and have gone Snakeskin so hope I can keep the air in my tyres this year.....

Bit of breeze too Steve!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I'll be back too if I can get a crew together. Like many event rides, there's just not enough social camaraderie there to make doing it solo a frequent repeat event. If there was a crew there to swap war stories with post race then it'd be a win for someone like me.

Just back from a week off post ride. Finished the 109 pretty much spot on my target time of about 6.5 hours which included forty minutes off the bike.

No major dramas apart from a crash into a sandy watercourse on the descent out of Willow Springs when I completely misread a crossing (and its labelling) and then a really stupid clip stack on the way up Red Hill which compounded a hip bruise from the first off and added an elbow gash. I'm still walking uncomfortably due to the hip injury. Oh and one of my spokes came loose on the run to Gum Creek which led to a in the field trueing event which is no mean feat with a CB wheel!!

Anyone who thinks the only good ride is on single track hasn't done something like this...it might be a double track but that just means it is two single tracks...side by side. The blast out of Willow Springs is a blur; as is the run off Red Hill; and the run down to the campground from Red Hill...the less said about Wilcolo Creek though...the better (it could be an ordeal, it could be a nightmare or it could be nearly over). The run down the other side nearly made it worth while...

The organisers and locals are to be applauded for what can only be a loss making event and the fact that it is already slated for next year speaks volumes to their dedication...if not their common sense.

By the by...Arkaroola. Mountain bikes. Just saying.