Flow Rollercoaster by Rocky Trail - NSW ALL Mountain State Series + Championships

wtf

Squid
And regarding Thredbo, has anyone ridden the new trail yet? Which bike would be the best bet? Lightweight 6" AM, or 8" Full on DH? (I know which bike I'd choose on the main DH trail ;) )
6" all the way. Not as flowy as the name of the trail suggests. Saw blokes riding it on big bikes but not ideal.
You won't regret the smaller bike for a second.

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Media Release:

Joshua Carlson wins FLOW Rollercoaster enduro race in Wisemans Ferry

Joshua Carlson wins the second FLOW Rollercoaster enduro gravity state series round at Wisemans Ferry. Organisers Rocky Trail had arranged two different race tracks for the more than 100 competitors at picturesque Del Rio riverside venue and the 26-year old mountain bike and all-mountain racing pro from Wollongong dominated the high-profile elite men’s field. Jon Odams from Sydney took out the second place and downhill legend Michal Ronning from Hope Island (QLD) claims again third ahead of Mick Ross (Sydney, NSW) and Jason Blackmore (Pullenvale, QLD).

“This was one of the most challenging and fun days out”, said Carlson of his race that had competitors ride untimed to the start lines of two different race tracks and after a few hours of practice the fastest combined race times counted. “These race tracks live up to any international standard and I am so thrilled that this riding and racing format finally is gaining popularity in Australia”, said Carlson who has been racing in the United States for the last few summer seasons, focusing on the all-mountain discipline.

All-mountain enduro racing is the new kid on the block of mountain bike racing and with its roots in the French Alps and North American high-country it has been gaining traction in Australia, attracting a wide range of mountain bikers as it combines cross-country trails that require a good amount of fitness and endurance as well as challenging downhill sections that will reward those with good technical riding skills.

“It’s the perfect day out with your riding buddies - you explore the trails and ride together, but then you also have the element of a race where you get to challenge each other and certain parts of the course”, said Jon Odams from Sans Souci (NSW), current leader of the FLOW Rollercoaster NSW State Series. With a 6th place in the 2012 UCI Oceanias Super D all-mountain event in Rotorua (NZ), Odams has become one of the big supporters of all-mountain racing in NSW.

Odams leads the series ahead of Michael Ronning and Joshua Carlson. Elite female racer Genevieve McKew claims her second win in the series, leading ahead of State 4X and Downhill talent Vanessa Thompson (Yanderra NSW) and former National Downhill Champion Joanne Fox (Penrith NSW).

The FLOW Rollercoaster enduro racing series is now headed for the new Thredbo all-mountain trails, where the NSW State Championship event will take place on 6 April, before the final series round at Stromlo Forest Park on 28 July. For more information and to sign up, visit www.rockytrailentertainment.com

Isildur

The Real Pedant
6" all the way. Not as flowy as the name of the trail suggests. Saw blokes riding it on big bikes but not ideal.
You won't regret the smaller bike for a second.
Cheers, the 5.7C it is then. Hopefully will have some slightly wider rims by then, so will be able to run some wider rubber for Thredders ;)

Now, as long as my boss will give me another day off in April (already a few stacked up), I'll see you suckers there!

edit: Any more photos from the event yet? I've got vague memories of seeing fleeting glances of people taking photos?

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
andrei is this you mate? This was during practice but
I got 4 more of you from the race run. Do you prefer PayPal? Hahaha what's general protocol for race pics at amateur level? Don't wanna give em all away.... The ones of chris southwoods crash on the DH will hopefully get me a new shirt! :)

Tap tap taparoo sent with tapatalk 2

JBR

Likes Dirt
Ah, I see. Which bike then J? Phoenix or 5.7C?

Cheers :)
5.7c all the way. It's nothing like the DH track really. It's way hard work on a DH bike, would be awesome on the 5.7.

Would be awesome if they route the last section into the trees and include the final section, step down and double from the DH track.

jrewing

Eats Squid
andrei is this you mate? This was during practice but
I got 4 more of you from the race run. Do you prefer PayPal? Hahaha what's general protocol for race pics at amateur level? Don't wanna give em all away.... The ones of chris southwoods crash on the DH will hopefully get me a new shirt! :)

Tap tap taparoo sent with tapatalk 2
You've still got your first pay check don't you?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Sweet - Work sorted, accom sorted, registration sorted :)

Now, where to find some descents that are actually long enough to train around Sydney? ;)

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Can't remember my number (still on the bike), but name is Gaby Mayo. I'm the one celebrating St Paddy's Day in full green kit!
324 - but sorry must have missed you during trail change over. camera was only out on the flow trail after 2pm and on the DH during the last part of practice. :(