Flypaper Pedals

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Looks preety weak, but light
light yeah, but not the lightest.. as some one on mtbr said, dmr mag pedals with ti spindles are sub 400 grams, while these are 410grams or what ever they are... i would have thought they woudl be lighter.. then again, it is also said this is only the prototype, and has steel cups, down the track different cup material willbe used...

what i dont get is, do you need special cranks for them? as he talks about the cups being machined into the crank/pedal interface?

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup, looks like the standard threaded hole has been machined out, and two bearing cups much like those of an external BB fitted. I'd say the spindle into the pedals is fixed, and rotates in the crank-fitted bearings instead. Nice concept, looks cool.

sawtell

Yup, looks like the standard threaded hole has been machined out, and two bearing cups much like those of an external BB fitted. I'd say the spindle into the pedals is fixed, and rotates in the crank-fitted bearings instead. .
thats what i was thinking, this is probaly a silly question, BUT the pedals are not actaully made by 'fly bikes' are they? or are they? if they are not, its going to be pretty hard for the manufacturer to get other companies to make cranks that ONLY fit their pedals.

Ty

Eats Squid
thats what i was thinking, this is probaly a silly question, BUT the pedals are not actaully made by 'fly bikes' are they? or are they? if they are not, its going to be pretty hard for the manufacturer to get other companies to make cranks that ONLY fit their pedals.
nah, from what i can gather it's a mtb based company, the guy sprooking their gear on MTBR drops some serious industry names who have ridden the pedals and love them.

starship303

Likes Dirt
one of the other main intentions i can see in the design is better pedal clearance compared to conventional platform pedals...thinking about their function they are a pretty neat idea. one of the main issues i can see is in muddy conditions they may get caked up pretty easily due to having so much surface area, tho would be fairly easy to clean i guess.

Having the likes of Dave Turner (of Turner Bikes), Ronnie Thomson (of Thomson Elite), Lance Canfield (of, Canfield Bros), Gary Fisher among others have very kind words to say about them at Interbike is rather intriguing (at least thats what one MTBR member stated)...me thinks we will may see these on some bikes in the not too distant future.

pity they so ugly!

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pity they're incompatible with every other crank on the market too. Hopefully they can achieve with this design (if it is a whole lot better than the standard) a supplementary standard, like 1.5 is to 1 1/8, where manufacturers will produce both options.

sawtell

just at second thoughts, i wonder why they went for the 'machine out the normal cranks' over actauly using an external bearing type system? now that woudl be cool, have bearing cups screwed into either side of the crank arm, you would then slot the spindle from the pedal through, and it would have a bolt holding it against the inner cup.

im an idea's man.. the only issue i can see is.. it would probaly be pointless, and chainstay and crank clearance problems.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Great idea,get's your foot closer to the centre of the axle instead of up above it. Down side is a wider Q factor and they look like they'd catch the ground easier,even though they're a touch higher,they'd be a touch wider,and they look like they'd dig into the ground if they touched it. A slightly concave design with fatter edges would possibly be better.
I once saw some old shimanno road pedals that had an oversized axle,but it was cut in half so your foot was in the middle of the axle(if you get what I mean).

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice idea. Much more load on the bearings though.

Hopefully the external bearing doesn't catch your foot.

Like the concept.

wombat

Lives in a hole
It's a different take on a long accepted standard, and that can't be a bad thing.
Best case, it revolutionises pedals and these things pop up everywhere, worst case it fails, but at least it gets people thinking, and something will be learnt.

Innovation rocks.

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting, but might be a problem on the bikes with a small clearance between the pedal arm and the frame/chainstay?

Worth a thought though.