AM Focus SAM Factory

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
After a year on a Trek Superfly 5 (My first bike) I decided i love the sport enough to really invest in something worthwhile, so out went the old hobbies, lots of sales on Facebook groups and sold the old bike, ended up snapping up a deal on a new Focus 2016 SAM Frame & Fork with some new and used parts to make the below:

Frame- 2016 Focus SAM Factory 160 - XL
Rear shock - RockShox Monarch Plus RC3
Front shock/fork -RockShox Pike RC3 160mm
Handlebars -PRO Handlebars, Silver 760mm
Stem -CEX 50mm Stem
Headset -Focus Cros
Grips - Focus Grips
Saddle -Concept Saddle
Seatpost -Rockshox Reverb Stealth Dropper Post
Front brake - Sram Avid Elixir 9 Trail Carbon Trigger, Avid 180mm Disk
Rear brake -Sram Avid Elixir 9 Trail Carbon Trigger, Avid 180mm Disk
Cranks - XX1 Crank, Ceramic SRAM BB
Chain - KMC Ti Gold Chain
Pedals - HT Components X2 DH Race
Rear derailleur - SRAM XX1 11 Speed X-Actuation
Rear shifter - SRAM XX1 11 Speed X-Actuation
Cassette - SRAM XX1 11 Speed X-Actuation
Wheel Set Mavic Crossmax XL MTB Wheelset
Tyres -Front: Mavic Crossmax Charge 2.40 / Rear: Mavic Crossroc Roam 2.20

Planning the first ride this weekend, cannot wait. will def report back on how she goes, bare in mind my novice experience will most likely be all praise :D

Attachments

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Is that white or grey or pearlescent ? Its lines just look so clean . Very nice indeed , these Sam`s are starting to become very popular for good reason . Enjoy it !

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Is that white or grey or pearlescent ? Its lines just look so clean . Very nice indeed , these Sam`s are starting to become very popular for good reason . Enjoy it !
I believe they call it Nato Grey, its a matt finish which is a nice change from the super polished look. It was one of the reasons i chose the bike, very clean and mess free lines.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Let us know what you think of the pedals mate, pretty keen for some first world impressions.

Might be time to upgrade some pretty flogged xts

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Great looking rig. Love the colour and the matched Pike. Grips add a little colour lift too.

Keen to know how she rides. Enjoy!

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking forward to a ride report aswell

Out of curiousity what frame size and your height??

get some maxxis on there buddy

Jeeves

Likes Bikes
That is looking very tidy. I love that colour.
Those tyres are on the heavy side but work well,
shred em' while you get used to the bike.
Make sure you take a shock pump out on the first couple of rides, start at around 30% sag front and rear in open settings on flat ground with your back pack and water on. Then when out on the trail go up or down in 5 P.S.I increments until you find that sweet spot.

The Pikes will feel very different to your old forks. You may need to install 2 bottomless tokens to get them to ramp up enough for you.

Have fun!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Nice ride, I'd hate to be the rider coming at you from the opposite direction, being blinded by your big cheesy grin!

I was looking at the new carbon frame SAMs in my lbs the other day, they look awesome. Can't really afford one atm, unless I sell the kids..

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Were you at Youies today?

I'm assuming it was you riding up Rockwell when Ideate and I were having a Spitfire party heading down?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Nice ride, I'd hate to be the rider coming at you from the opposite direction, being blinded by your big cheesy grin!

I was looking at the new carbon frame SAMs in my lbs the other day, they look awesome. Can't really afford one atm, unless I sell the kids..
Worth it.

10chars

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Were you at Youies today?

I'm assuming it was you riding up Rockwell when Ideate and I were having a Spitfire party heading down?
That was me lol. I have crohns and recovering from no core strength so that climb was nuts for me. I think i stopped 4 times and ended up unbolting my cleats as i didnt like them haha.

Were you the guys where I kinda stopped in a bush as you passed?

Would be keen to have a ride sometime with you maybe get to know the place better. Was my first real ride on stockyards.

Sorry if I put you guys off your ride.

Ideate

Definitely didn't put us off. There's far more ruder people around the joint. Some bloke cut through us going up the fireroad today. Didn't say hi, excuse me, kiss my ass, nothing! Rrrude!

I have a friend with Crohns. It's tough! You're a trooper, giving it a go considering your circumstances. Well done.

Get rid of those pedals and get some flats ;)

Shoot us a pm if you're heading out again and we'll see if we can join. I'm local so a little easier for me to get out there on short notice. I'm a rubbish climber so you'll be able to keep up with me :D

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Definitely didn't put us off. There's far more ruder people around the joint. Some bloke cut through us going up the fireroad today. Didn't say hi, excuse me, kiss my ass, nothing! Rrrude!

I have a friend with Crohns. It's tough! You're a trooper, giving it a go considering your circumstances. Well done.

Get rid of those pedals and get some flats ;)

Shoot us a pm if you're heading out again and we'll see if we can join. I'm local so a little easier for me to get out there on short notice. I'm a rubbish climber so you'll be able to keep up with me :D
Thanks Ideate, I always try to be nice on the trails and most of the people i have met have been cool as well, I'll certainly pm you next time i'm up, I normally go sunday mornings and I'm tempted to go again tomorrow but i'm not sure how my legs and stomach will pull up tomorrow, will have to wait and see.

X2's are going up for sale, they are a cracker pedal and even without the cleats were super stable, will see if i can nab some orange pedals to match the odd orange colour on the frame lol

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Ride Report

Hi all,

Small ride report, please bare in mind i am a complete novice with very limited riding experience, this is also my first dual sus bike so I have nothing to compare it to other than a Trek Superfly HT I rode XC with for about a year.

Started out with a climb up one of the windey tracks, the bike did well, I certainly noticed it was not as easy to climb compared to my prev HT but what it lacked in upward speed it made up for in ability to handle the more technical aspects of the climbs with ease, with both shocks in climb mode there was very little pedal bob or at least to an extent where I did not notice it or thought about it, the 1x11 speed setup was plenty and found it didn't use the biggest cog on the cassette.

The climb was tough but I found that tight corners or rocky section the focus took to with pleasure and as I got accustomed to how much the bike was able to roll over such obstacles the climb started to get easier in my mind

Finally reached the top to end up with stomach cramping from my weak core, but it worth it

I took an easy route down as my stomach was still in some pain, after a small rest I did one of the lower medium technical tracks which was allot of fun, plenty of berms, small drops, rocky parts and some small jumps were available and the Focus took it all in, the bike made me feel allot more at ease with myself on the trail and after attempting a few obstacles i thought I would struggle with only to find the focus cutting through them like a hot knife through butter, I was getting a bit giddy and started to really enjoy my ride

Alas after a few runs on the lower tracks my fitness got the better of me and I decided to call it a day, overall though I was extremely happy with the bike and the shop who helped me set it up were great, the frame is a perfect fit for me, no lower back pain at all from today ride which is something i found i got allot on the HT, the reach was perfect for me, didn't feel like it was too far or too short, I do need to move my calipers inwards a touch as they are a little close to my big ass hands but other than that I cannot fault the bike.

Attachments