Football World Cup thread.

Likes Dirt
Argentina vs Korea would have to be one of the best games so far in my opinion, Argentina truly are playing the beautiful game and could easily go on to win it.
Messi - brilliant playmaking to set up the goals for Higuain, shame he didn't get one himself.

And Spain, same as every year; brilliant players and build up that promise everything but deliver nothing. If they'd started with two up the front against Switzerland they would have won I think, but just Villa is not enough against the solid Swiss defence.
Fingers crossed for Australia to pick up their game!

camo114

Likes Dirt
Aussies were never going to do as well as last world cup. we pretty much have the exact same team....JUST 4 YEARS OLDER. feel sorry for the boys though, all the hype in the media. Australia's going to do this and that. and poor little Timmy, all those tats and he still inst tough enough to stay in the squad for a game.
good luck anyway boys, its an unpredictable game!

Bermshot

Banned
anyone got any $$$ bets going?

i'll be watching my 2nd team Slovenia with eager anticipations, the piddly central european country of 2 million people downed Poland, the Czech Republic and finally Gus Hiddinks Russia to make it to South Africa. massive underdog status.
You were right man. Keep an eye on Slovenia!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
nope, Yanks are done.:cool:
Nope. Cracking game, should really have been a win for the yanks but they've only got Algeria left to face, who (as long as they're not hiding any long-lost relatives of Zinedine Zidane in their ranks - and if they are, can they please put them on tonight against England! ;) ) shouldn't prove too difficult...

Joy

Likes Dirt
Serbia 1, Germany 0. Things are getting interesting. Ghana tonight! Who's ghana win?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Just watched the England v Algeria game.

If you thought you had it bad with Pim Verbeek, imagine how the english must feel: $10 million a year they pay Fabio Capello and his masterplan is to keep firing longballs up the park to Peter Crouch!?

Group C just got very interesting!

As for tonight, Australia are going to have to pull something really bloody spectacular out of the bag. It'll be interesting to see if Harry Kewell can shut his detractors up and actually perform for once!

'Ross

Eats Squid
Don't care about your super super slow-mo, but live...to me anyway...it looked like kewell through out his hand and blocked the shot. Penalty fair enough, red card seems a bit harsh.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Really? To me it looked like he just had his arm by his side, hardly an intentional move..

But yea, red card was a crock.

edit: And how was that tackle from Ghana not a red card? Surely Cahill was sent off for less?

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Didn't Cahill get 2 yellows not a straight red? And I think most honest soccer watchers will agree that it was a penalty offence, sure it wasn't massively intentional, you could tell it hit his forearm, but on the goal line with your arm slightly outstretched from body is always going to be a penalty imo.

I hope they actually put some effort in this half instead of feeling sorry for themselves.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Didn't Cahill get 2 yellows not a straight red? And I think most honest soccer watchers will agree that it was a penalty offence, sure it wasn't massively intentional, you could tell it hit his forearm, but on the goal line with your arm slightly outstretched from body is always going to be a penalty imo.

I hope they actually put some effort in this half instead of feeling sorry for themselves.
Cahill got a straight red which looks like a yellow offence, but they are being really harsh for this tournament.

IMHO if you dun get red card for handball on the line for a scoring shot than I dunno what you should be red card for. If anything you Wilkshire should have clear the ball and concede a corner as opposed to kept eveyone guessing.......

tc2233

Likes Dirt
When we versed Germany why didnt we have Bresiano, Kennedy, Kewell, Chipperfield and that other player who got put onto the field last night. When those players were on the field we played so much better and had heaps more goal opportunities.
With Kewel getting the red card that did look intentional and that was fair enough.

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
edit: And how was that tackle from Ghana not a red card? Surely Cahill was sent off for less?
TOTALLY AGREE! it was just stupid that cahil gets sent of and missed this game and this guy gets away for something worse, and we already had ten players, it was absolute BS. as for kewel, he was playing a great game and once again somone was sent of for harding anything, HE HAD HIS EYES SHUT for godsake, lets hope gahna loose to germany and we beat serbia 3-0