Football World Cup thread.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Well its only a few days away know and I'm getting pretty excited.

Do you seriously think Australia can progress past the group stages?
What other countries do you want to see do well?
Why is Scott McDonald not in the squad?
Who's going to win it and take the glory?

Get excited people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Ross

Eats Squid
I'm expecting them to fail miserably to meet the expectations that have been placed upon them, and that many excuses will be made afterwards. If they get past the first round, I will get on board and support them.

Also find it funny that Samoan under 20 player Tim Cahill is the new posterboy, if somebody played under 20's for Australia, then decided to play for a more successful country like Brazil...whilst not living in either country, I don't think they would be regarded very highly. thats all:p

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon we'll make it past the group, 2nd to Germany. I'd like to think it'd be a close game to England with us winning, but you never know... If we do somehow get through though we'll go down to France.

I'm tipping Spain and Netherlands final, but knowing the Dutch theres a good chance they'll choke and we'll see Brazil up in the top game.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I think with our long history of adopting sporting people from all over the world it would be a touch hypocritical of us having a go at someone else heading to greener pastures.

I'd love to see the poms do well for some reason.

zanus

Likes Dirt
HEY. Im going. Jumping for joy.
Might go to the Morewood factory for a souvenir.
Watching every game with Australia in it in the actual competition.

So, my bets on spain. Anyone agree?

cory123

Likes Dirt
HEY. Im going. Jumping for joy.
Might go to the Morewood factory for a souvenir.
Watching every game with Australia in it in the actual competition.

So, my bets on spain. Anyone agree?
Totally. I reckon france will go ok aswell.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I'm expecting them to fail miserably to meet the expectations that have been placed upon them, and that many excuses will be made afterwards. If they get past the first round, I will get on board and support them.
Nothing like supporting a winner.

Also find it funny that Samoan under 20 player Tim Cahill is the new posterboy, if somebody played under 20's for Australia, then decided to play for a more successful country like Brazil...whilst not living in either country, I don't think they would be regarded very highly. thats all:p
The number of quality players that have come through the Australian Junior development system and then go on to play for other nations has been huge, so it does happen and will continue to happen unfortunately. Cahill played for Samoa in the Under 20's under bad advice that it wouldn't affect him playing for Australia at Senior level. He went into international obscurity for a long while trying to sort the mess out.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Heading to Darling Harbour with a bunch of mates for the Germany game, will be so awesome if a few thousand other join us.

I think we'll get through- Australia always lifts for the big games.

Joy

Likes Dirt
Germany are down Ballack, and Ghana are down Essein. You never know what might happen... As Australians, we always enjoy being the underdogs.

If England make it past the group stage we could totally beat them seeing as though they always choke (despite having one of the best teams on paper).

I'll be in America for most of the games so I'm guessing it'll be a struggle to find places that show football there (according to that onion article hahahha)

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Germany are down Ballack, and Ghana are down Essein. You never know what might happen... As Australians, we always enjoy being the underdogs.

If England make it past the group stage we could totally beat them seeing as though they always choke (despite having one of the best teams on paper).

I'll be in America for most of the games so I'm guessing it'll be a struggle to find places that show football there (according to that onion article hahahha)
...not sure if you know but The Onion is a satiric site...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not overly hard to find a few places that'll show it. The US team is only getting better and it's slowly increasing in popularity over there.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cant wait! Darling Harbour is one of 7 FIFA live sites in the world... the place will be punmping for all the games, especially Australia!!!

Go ozzzzzz

Bermshot

Banned
...not sure if you know but The Onion is a satiric site...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not overly hard to find a few places that'll show it. The US team is only getting better and it's slowly increasing in popularity over there.
Getting beaten by Yanks! I don't care if it's just a warm up, it doesn't bode well.

Anyway, on to Durban and roll the Germans 3-1!!!!!!!!!!:)

skivi

Likes Dirt
anyone got any $$$ bets going?

i'll be watching my 2nd team Slovenia with eager anticipations, the piddly central european country of 2 million people downed Poland, the Czech Republic and finally Gus Hiddinks Russia to make it to South Africa. massive underdog status.

Bermshot

Banned
anyone got any $$$ bets going?

i'll be watching my 2nd team Slovenia with eager anticipations, the piddly central european country of 2 million people downed Poland, the Czech Republic and finally Gus Hiddinks Russia to make it to South Africa. massive underdog status.
Massive. I will keep my eyes on Slovenia, damned good gymnasts from there too.

emcgough

Likes Dirt
It's pretty much the same situation as we have here. The sport is pretty damn popular, but most people will follow the EPL or a euro competition rather than the local leagues. Americans are like us in that they will all jump on the bandwagon in a huge way for an event like this. It'll be everywhere over there, for sure.

viv

Likes Dirt
I think Spain will do very well this world cup. I like their style of play. Although I really want Argentina to lift the cup this time, mainly for Messi (best player in the world at the moment in my opinion) but also for Maradona.