Fork opinions

Go

Likes Dirt
Sold my 2015 pike cause I want to get something different.

Lyrik or 36 out of the list for know, unless I can be convinced they are the better choice.

Looking at Mattoc Pro 2, Ribbon and Helm coil or air.

Any comparisons anyone can make? I know the Mattoc has a few fans i here plus it is the cheapest.
Mostly looking for plushness, small bump compliance, traction in flat turns and midstroke support and ability to tune on the fly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Only tried the mattoc 2 of those three, and really like it....95% as much as pikes.
@Boom King swears by the IRT upgrade for even more goodness, mine don’t have it.
What was your beef with the pike?

Lyriks are a beautiful thing, I’m running 2 sets, one luftcapped, one without. I don’t notice a weight penalty, but they do feel more solid than the pikes.

What riding are you doing? If trail and lighter enduro, mattoc is plenty. If going harder, go a bigger fork.

What about the DVO diamond in the mix?

moorey

call me Mia
The HLC and LSC on both of my mattocs do sweet FA, for what it’s worth. Turn both up, and it will stiffen for climbs. The hydraulic bottom out dial works well though.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My vote for the Ribbon. Not that I've ridden it, but MRP seems like a pretty awesome company. Plus you can get it with an air spring or coil.

Last edited:

Go

Likes Dirt
I find with the pike, I have to compromise between small bump compliance and support. Tried 1, 2 and 3 tokens and the ramp up is there but the midstroke isn't.
With no tokens and higher pressure chttery flat corner grip starts to suffer.

Haven't ridden Fox since '14 and the 36 has good reviews, as does the lyrik but is the most expensive of the bunch. Neither seems to nail the balance between small bump and support.

MRP ramp control sounds great.
Helms adjustability has my attention.
Both available in coil

Manitou IRT seems the goods

moorey

call me Mia
Got a new set of M2’s here you’re welcome to try out if over this way. No IRT though.

Might as well be cut and tested as sit in a box.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm a big fan of the Mattoc, having two, both with IRT.

The IRT is fantastic for tuning mid stroke support without losing small bump. In fact, the IRT allows you to run lower main spring preasure giving even better small bump compliance.

Manitou now have better low friction seals that increase performance even more and Dougal at Shockcraft in NZ has a high flow piston available as an upgrade as well.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something else I've seen done is buy a cheap Yari and order a custom damper from Avalanche tuning. Since it's the same chassis as the Pike it's stiff enough for most and you get a custom damper to suit you.

I guess you could also just buy the damper for your current Pike and save some $$$

moorey

call me Mia
Something else I've seen done is buy a cheap Yari and order a custom damper from Avalanche tuning. Since it's the same chassis as the Pike it's stiff enough for most and you get a custom damper to suit you.

I guess you could also just buy the damper for your current Pike and save some $$$
The Yari charger upgrade makes the Yari cost what you can hunt down a Lyrik for...and you still have a Yari in the end.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

This is what I've done with my Yari on the Pole. Unsurprisingly, it's the best fork I've ever used.

The cost of the Avalanche damper is actually more than I paid for the Yari. I also upgraded the air spring to the new debonair version and added an MRP ramp control.

I haven't used a Grip 2 or a Lyrik RC2 but it is significantly better than my Fox 36 RC2 and DVO Diamond.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what I've done with my Yari on the Pole. Unsurprisingly, it's the best fork I've ever used.

The cost of the Avalanche damper is actually more than I paid for the Yari. I also upgraded the air spring to the new debonair version and added an MRP ramp control.

I haven't used a Grip 2 or a Lyrik RC2 but it is significantly better than my Fox 36 RC2 and DVO Diamond.

Have heard nothing but great things about Avalanche's work. Was going to order one of their custom coil shocks for my Canfield but alas the Primer came up for sale and I ended up selling it before I could pull the trigger.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

It's always hard trying to describe suspension performance but I'll have a crack at describing the super yari.

The cartridge only really dictates the performance of the fork for the first 75%. The final 25% is really controlled by the MRP.

I've got the cartridge setup for bike park work so it's got reasonably firm lsc but the lsc shim stack sits on a spring supported blow off valve. The hsc is set somewhat loose.

The combination gives the fork two distinct behaviours. When the blow off valve is closed the lsc stack is fully engaged and the fork strongly resists brake dive and g-outs and only really uses 50% of its travel.

When the fork hits a big enough bump the blow off valve opens and the lsc is completely bypassed. The fork essentially becomes a pogo and the main influences on the fork are the ramp control in the last 25% of travel and the rebound circuit. This is very different to the behaviour of my other forks, where you can always feel the influence of your lsc setting.

The rebound setting also has a huge impact on the fork. Too little rebound and the fork feels way too 'loose' when the blow off valve opens. Too much and you get pack down. What I aim for is for the rebound to be slow enough to allow the wheel to skip a little bit over high speed chunder without packing down.

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find with the pike, I have to compromise between small bump compliance and support. Tried 1, 2 and 3 tokens and the ramp up is there but the midstroke isn't.
With no tokens and higher pressure chttery flat corner grip starts to suffer.

Haven't ridden Fox since '14 and the 36 has good reviews, as does the lyrik but is the most expensive of the bunch. Neither seems to nail the balance between small bump and support.

MRP ramp control sounds great.
Helms adjustability has my attention.
Both available in coil

Manitou IRT seems the goods

Stick a debonaire air shaft in your pike if you don't already have one. An inexpensive upgrade that will help with small bump compliance.