Fork upgrade for banshee spitfire with pikes?

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Thinking of upgrading forks on the spitty, currently running pike RC dual position 160mm.
Bike gets ridden pretty hard so have pressures high for bigger impacts but is pretty bumpy on the small stuff.
Do I put a coil upgrade in them or buy a lyric or fox 36?
I'd like to not spend a fortune if that's an option

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It sounds like you are a perfect candidate for a Diamond. They can be quite firm in the mid and end stroke, but with the OTT you can dial in some plushness over the small stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Good answer. Mrp ramp control is the cheaper option.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Not for a DP though. Sadly. I'd love to flick my DP pikes so I could use some of the goodies available for the solo.

moorey

call me Mia
I love my Mattocs, but aren’t 100 hundred percent convinced they are an improvement over a good Pike. I love them..just pulled pikes off my spitty to run another set.
That said, I have another brand new set sitting in the shed (stealth stanchion 160 pro model). They don’t have the IRT, but that’s a simple upgrade.
Let me know if they’re any interest to you, @Flip666.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Coil helm?

New lyrics and 36’s are supposed to be better again. I’d buy rockshox now, local distro for fox are a joke. Happy with my 2017 36RC2’s over my 2015 pikes (base model ones, not dual position) if you find a second hand set.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Not for a DP though. Sadly. I'd love to flick my DP pikes so I could use some of the goodies available for the solo.
Ah didn't see that. Mattocs all the way then.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice guys, how do the mattocs differ from the pikes?

My mate has dvo diamond on a reign, we hit the same stuff and he has trouble with his bottoming out with 15 psi more than recommended pressure or sag.
I run 20% sag and 2 volume reducers and I don't bottom often but use all but 5mm of travel on most runs down the hill, but they are shite on the bumps.

I might be interested in yours Moorey, how much are they and what does the irt do?

Also tossing up going a coil in the rear, I have a cc db air cs which works pretty well compared to the front but also prob a bit harsh on small stuff and use all the travel quite regularly, although never bottoms out harshly

moorey

call me Mia
IRT lets you tune its mid stroke and ramping etc...it’s probably marketing wank, but @Boom King swears by it. ;)
I think they were around $450 on sale 1/2 price. I wouldn’t really want to part with them for much less, tbh, as chopsticks as that sounds, they’re too good to keep as spares otherwise.

Ultra Lord

Reccommended is just that, a reccommendation. Sag is the thing to look at, a bikes length, headangle, stack height, bb drop all play a part on how much weight gets to the front of the bike.

What about taking a spacer out and running 15% sag on your pikes?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Mattoc has good inherent small bump compliance and has a hydraulic bottom out feature with three settings, you can't bottom it out really.

The IRT is a seperate piston that screws into the top of the air spring stanchion, where you would normally fit tokens. It has it's own valve and effectively creates a secondary air spring allowing infinite tuning of mid stroke and end stroke support, whilst allowing very supple initial stroke.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
IRT lets you tune its mid stroke and ramping etc...it’s probably marketing wank, but @Boom King swears by it. ;)
I think they were around $450 on sale 1/2 price. I wouldn’t really want to part with them for much less, tbh, as chopsticks as that sounds, they’re too good to keep as spares otherwise.
Haha, does sound good though..
Hmm ok, I will do some serious thinking about that.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Reccommended is just that, a reccommendation. Sag is the thing to look at, a bikes length, headangle, stack height, bb drop all play a part on how much weight gets to the front of the bike.

What about taking a spacer out and running 15% sag on your pikes?
Ok yeah mate sense.
Won't less sag and and removing a token just make it harsher in small bumps and then bottom out similar?

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Mattoc has good inherent small bump compliance and has a hydraulic bottom out feature with three settings, you can't bottom it out really.

The IRT is a seperate piston that screws into the top of the air spring stanchion, where you would normally fit tokens. It has it's own valve and effectively creates a secondary air spring allowing infinite tuning of mid stroke and end stroke support, whilst allowing very supple initial stroke.
It sounds awesome, does it work well?
How much is the upgrade?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
$84 plus shipping from bike discount in Germany. Shockcraft in NZ have them too, maybe $120 ish including shipping. It works a treat.

Ultra Lord

Ok yeah mate sense.
Won't less sag and and removing a token just make it harsher in small bumps and then bottom out similar?

Not really, tokens don’t only change mid and end stroke ramp up, they also change begining stroke, just not as pronounced.

Bang another token in and keep the same psi, it won’t have as much sag and the fork will be much stiffer all round. You always have to drop pressure to maintain sag and you lose some initial plushness for more bottom out at the same sag levels.

Thats what I found anyways, when I first got my mits on tokens for my pike I spent a couple of weekends riding around with a socket, tokens and a shock pump figuring it all out.

Have you played around with them much? What have you tried?