Fork upgrade for banshee spitfire with pikes?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
It sounds awesome, does it work well?
How much is the upgrade?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yes, works great, can really fine tune the forks progression and then you have LSC and HSC to tune it further. Takes a bit off fiddling to get it setup and the new low friction seals also make a huge difference but once set up the fork disappears and just does it job.

Manitou also has a new fork coming:

https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-and-hayes-plotting-comeback/

Looks the goods as well!

The other option is the Coil conversion for the Pike, not read much on them but depending postage would still be around $300 or so (that’s the TF Tuned kit).

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Not really, tokens don’t only change mid and end stroke ramp up, they also change begining stroke, just not as pronounced.

Bang another token in and keep the same psi, it won’t have as much sag and the fork will be much stiffer all round. You always have to drop pressure to maintain sag and you lose some initial plushness for more bottom out at the same sag levels.

Thats what I found anyways, when I first got my mits on tokens for my pike I spent a couple of weekends riding around with a socket, tokens and a shock pump figuring it all out.

Have you played around with them much? What have you tried?
To be honest I can't remember exactly, I've had 0 tokens initially, and have tried 1 and 2.
I've never gone less than 20% sag as I was under the impression it should be 20-30%, so I thought I was at the minimum I should run and added tokens to resist bottoming

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Blacks sick. Murdered out spitty’s are where (halp @moorey is that the right one) it’s at.

One thing that’ll also happen is sags gonna change depending on how steep the trail is too. A bike set up for flat ground is gonna feel terrible on steep dh’s etc and vice versa.
You have 20% sag on the flat, when it tips down all your weight is gonna shift forward and the fork’s gonna be sitting in the midstroke just off your weight alone.

Also how are you setting sag? When you’re seated or when standing? Got all the normal riding gear on?

New forks are rad, but you might be able to save yourself some cash and find a compromise your happy with (no such thing as a perfect fork setup, there’l always be compromise somewhere imo.)

Look at a pro dhers fork when they’re on the flat, no sag at all and it’s barely moving.

Edit: god damn that’s an essay

moorey

call me Mia
Very nice Moorey!
It's nice seeing one with a bit of colour.
Mines very very black!

I’m not into all black...but the black spitties do look tidy. Felix has the black with white decals.
Thought about Mattocing his...May still.
Apart from @Hipstar, @Boom King and another mate on black, I have a mate with the Yellow and another mate with aqua blue. It’s the weapon of choice around here

Edit, forgot @rsclio and his fleet of banshee, and the dearly departed @Ideate

Last edited:

Flip666

Likes Dirt
I’m not into all black...but the black spitties do look tidy. Felix has the black with white decals.
Thought about Mattocing his...May still.
Apart from @Hipstar, @Boom King and another mate on black, I have a mate with the Yellow and another mate with aqua blue. It’s the weapon of choice around here
Far out! I don't see them very often around my neck of the woods.
Allot of people ask what is being black on black, you can't really see the decals to easily.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the advice guys, how do the mattocs differ from the pikes?

My mate has dvo diamond on a reign, we hit the same stuff and he has trouble with his bottoming out with 15 psi more than recommended pressure or sag.
I run 20% sag and 2 volume reducers and I don't bottom often but use all but 5mm of travel on most runs down the hill, but they are shite on the bumps.

I might be interested in yours Moorey, how much are they and what does the irt do?

Also tossing up going a coil in the rear, I have a cc db air cs which works pretty well compared to the front but also prob a bit harsh on small stuff and use all the travel quite regularly, although never bottoms out harshly

Is your mate running any HSC to control the bottom out? I think that is the recommendation from DVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Is your mate running any HSC to control the bottom out? I think that is the recommendation from DVO.

Yeah I think he's running a fair bit of HSC.
We have some pretty decent hits, hard to get either fork to not bottom on those and be supple elsewhere.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I think he's running a fair bit of HSC.
We have some pretty decent hits, hard to get either fork to not bottom on those and be supple elsewhere.

It is pretty linear so I could see how that could happen, I personally don’t hit anything big enough to bottom it out at the recommended pressure.

You can pull the valve and add some oil on top of the air spring to make it more progressive.

Thought of sticking a Luftkappe in the Pike? That thing makes them ramp up pretty hard at the end, but you can then only run a max of, I think, 2 tokens.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m a hack...but can’t tell any difference between my 2 sets of lyriks...one with luftcappe, one without.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m a hack...but can’t tell any difference between my 2 sets of lyriks...one with luftcappe, one without.
I could only tell for the first couple of rides, it is pretty subtle.

I was only running one token though and had to take it out and it still ramped up like it had 2 in it. Could not use all the travel.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
It is pretty linear so I could see how that could happen, I personally don’t hit anything big enough to bottom it out at the recommended pressure.

You can pull the valve and add some oil on top of the air spring to make it more progressive.

Thought of sticking a Luftkappe in the Pike? That thing makes them ramp up pretty hard at the end, but you can then only run a max of, I think, 2 tokens.

We have a Rd gap that's similar to the big one on international at Buller, prob a little bit longer and can be harsh depending where you land.
Ahh ok, I'll let him know about the oil thing.
Does the luftcap act like tokens on the fly or more to it?
Mine are dual position also not sure if it works with that..

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Bloody hell, 2 X sets of lyrics? And a few mattocs and pikes of all varieties?
You've got a very understanding misso there Moorey

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Bloody hell, 2 X sets of lyrics? And a few mattocs and pikes of all varieties?
You've got a very understanding misso there Moorey

And the collection of Oranges wasn't a hint?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have a Rd gap that's similar to the big one on international at Buller, prob a little bit longer and can be harsh depending where you land.
Ahh ok, I'll let him know about the oil thing.
Does the luftcap act like tokens on the fly or more to it?
Mine are dual position also not sure if it works with that..

Ah I don’t think it does work with dual pos Pikes.