Formula One world championship

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well that was a surprise result!

Cant say I was happy about the project running over the driver interviews though

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah had it last year, $44/month just to watch the F1, ugh. This will quite possibly be the first season I miss a race since 1994.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
yeah had it last year, $44/month just to watch the F1, ugh. This will quite possibly be the first season I miss a race since 1994.
I'm losing my interest in f1 as well, not just because we're royally rooted with foxtel having the rest of the f1 as an exclusive from hereon in but the new start times also have us rooted, at least for me that is, I don't know how many people will stay up to 1 or 2am on a monday morning just to watch yet another yawnfest season of ferrari and merc at the top.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm losing my interest in f1 as well, not just because we're royally rooted with foxtel having the rest of the f1 as an exclusive from hereon in but the new start times also have us rooted, at least for me that is, I don't know how many people will stay up to 1 or 2am on a monday morning just to watch yet another yawnfest season of ferrari and merc at the top.
I lost interest a few years back, had been an avid follower since the late 70's. The current regulations produce a yawnfest that's much better suited to a highlights package anyway. There are signs that Merc may not have it all their way this season but I'll just read about the races on a Monday, then watch a taped highlight package.

Thank Christ for MotoGP!

Skydome

I lost interest a few years back, had been an avid follower since the late 70's. The current regulations produce a yawnfest that's much better suited to a highlights package anyway. There are signs that Merc may not have it all their way this season but I'll just read about the races on a Monday, then watch a taped highlight package.

Thank Christ for MotoGP!
Yeah I feel the same, I watched a bit of the Melbourne highlights on f1's youtube page and i'd have rather done that than sit around for 2 hours hoping something interesting happens.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yeah I feel the same, I watched a bit of the Melbourne highlights on f1's youtube page and i'd have rather done that than sit around for 2 hours hoping something interesting happens.
When the most interesting thing to happen is a virtual safety car, it's an indictment on F1!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
This is my policy now too. And sometimes I fast forward!

Skydome

yeah it's not crash hot.

fia and liberty media sooner or later are gonna have to re-do regulations and etc to make it more interesting.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m talking Foxtel Now not your standard hardwired dish/cable tv box bollocks. $39 streaming service to be shared across up to 5 devices. I’ve heard you can get up to 5 mates to chip in and cover the monthly cost and then get all the f1 rounds AND moto gp (including moto3 and moto2) weekends live... Thats what I’ve heard anyway.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m talking Foxtel Now not your standard hardwired dish/cable tv box bollocks. $39 streaming service to be shared across up to 5 devices. I’ve heard you can get up to 5 mates to chip in and cover the monthly cost and then get all the f1 rounds AND moto gp (including moto3 and moto2) weekends live... Thats what I’ve heard anyway.
Foxtel Now is what I had. Still $44/mth, I only need it on 1 device (don't care about 5) and I only would watch F1... didn't feel it was worth it.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Foxtel Now is what I had. Still $44/mth, I only need it on 1 device (don't care about 5) and I only would watch F1... didn't feel it was worth it.
I get it. Not trying to be semantic, but if you get the std foxtel bullshit and the sports pack its $39. I have 3 other folks who are also keen to watch moto 3/moto2 races and f1 practice, quali and race with brundle and ted kravitz (crofty can get stuffed) nerding out so it makes sense for me (who used to record f1 races on my follks vhs deck back in the day when Murray Walker and James Hunt used to commentate).

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The Albert Park circuit is crap. Needs to go somewhere else. 7 or 8 successful passing manoevres and several cars held up because of it. That makes for shit racing.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I get it. Not trying to be semantic, but if you get the std foxtel bullshit and the sports pack its $39. I have 3 other folks who are also keen to watch moto 3/moto2 races and f1 practice, quali and race with brundle and ted kravitz (crofty can get stuffed) nerding out so it makes sense for me (who used to record f1 races on my follks vhs deck back in the day when Murray Walker and James Hunt used to commentate).
ah you have to select a different pack at $10, not the $15. they were all base packs were $15 when I got it last year. So your right $39. $20/month i could probably justify, but double that just to get a pile of stuff I'll never watch, nope.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I won't harp on about my dislike for F1, I've hated what it's become since the team managers got more voice on making some calls.
Hey Oliosky, does Foxtel Now have ESPN on it too? Y'all know I'm an Indycar man and Foxtel didn't include it in this year's schedule so I and a few others chucked a wobbly and had it relisted so now we get all the races live again. Shit yeah! My point is, if you're bored with F1 and want to watch some exciting and interesting racing, watch Indycar, it's been a whole better than F1 for decades.

I watched the Australian Grand Prix and was mortified. I haven't watched a race since late 2014 and while I was impressed with the updates on the on screen display (timing, fast sector alerts etc) I was so disappointed in everything else. Why is F1 not appelilng to me anymore? Here's a few things that I reckon sucks:
1) The sound. Don't deny it, they sound fucking horrible.
2) The cars look hideous, easily the most horrible looking race cars on earth ever.
3) The amount of penalties issued is appalling. The bulk of the reasons that penalties are issued is total fucking shit.
4) There is way too much media on this category. They have designated times to talk to team managers, team drivers, team media reps etc etc. We don't need that shit, you're used to seeing it and thinking it's part of it but it's not needed. What is needed is better on track action with good looking cars.
5) There is way too much analysis done on way too much stuff. Stats are good but analyzing every single piece of data and sharing it to the masses is irrelevant.
6) DRS is an admission that the passing is inadequate. Fix the cars and the way the air comes off them and you'll improve the racing.
7) I've always thought customer teams buying certain engines should be buying the chassis with it and not having ten different aero designs out there. You'll never have equal terms with so many variables. A control chassis would eliminate this.
8) There's too much time available on the track. Cut it back to Saturday and Sunday. I understand this could go both ways and the poorer teams may suffer from less track time but nix that by doing more test days.
9) How many tyre compound options do you need? Four? Far out, just take one compound to a race!
10) No grid girls modelling for a living and portraying the sport as the interest of the rich man and parading them around on the grid before a race is such a wank.
11) I've never seen one team manager interviewed and actually seemed happy by being in the sport. Fuck me, if you don't like what is going on then why the fuck are you there?
12) This category isn't an endurance race. The need to conserve your engine parts as well as gearbox etc is making everything lifeless. Trying to say that this approach reduces costs and makes it better for the less rich teams to compete is so far off the money. Need an example? How's Honda gone? How long since Renault won? How long since Toro Rosso had a belter? You're not fooling anyone, it's detrimental to the sport to force the conservation of high velocity parts so much.
13) The drivers are too personalized. The media has too much access to snoop around their business and broadcast what that person is like in their own lounge room. Talk to them about their race, their qualifying etc and don't make them out to be super heroes. I don't fucking care what they do off the track.
14) I think the biggest problem of all is that the category is basically a parliament existence and it's dictated by people with hidden agenda's that direct the sport. The on track action isn't actually the focal point of all of this and it is just an accessory to people achieving things in other ways. Lets face it, the cars are just mobile billboards advertising a few things and the end product isn't exciting. Yep, there's economical benefits and you wouldn't have a race in your backyard if that wasn't worth it to someone. Don't be surprised to know that the big reason certain drivers get picked to race on a team is purely to keep the interest in keeping a Grand Prix in certain countries to keep some money coming in, patriotism is a big seller.
15) It's too expensive to watch a shithouse F1 race. I'm chuffed that the other categories on track were a better show and really glad the Supercars made it a championship event. Even in the shortened Sunday race, the show was still 1,000,000 times more interesting than any modern F1 race.
16) F1 sounds shit. It shouldn't, it should sound awesome, not shit but yeah, it suits it nowadays.

Last edited: