Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Singapore will be interesting with the new radio restrictions in place.
I reckon this is a shit new rule. Who cares what the teams speak about? It doesn't make their tyres magically improve or give them extra horsepower. I also wonder what sort of penalty will be imposed if Rosberg is advised to drive faster in turn ten for example, will it be a stop go? A time penalty? Points penalty?

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Radio Message: "OK Lewis, Han solo and Chewie just did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs"
Translation: "Nico is 0.2 seconds faster in turn 12"

willsy01

Eats Squid
Asking about tyre life and performance, is this assisting the driver? Is saying “push in sector 2” without any reference to other drivers too much?
Yep.....no more of that. Only safety information and basic pit stop stuff. Bear in mind this only on pit to car. Drivers are still allowed to say whatever they like.

In regards to penalties, I think whatever they are will be applied post race. Keeping on top of all radio chatter during the race would be difficult, especially if it means trying to figure out of the teams are using some sort of elaborate coding.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Would Merc’s new system on the steering wheel to give data back to the pits about tyre life now be illegal if the driver is not prompted to use it (the one that Rosberg used in Monza when asked about his tyres)?

Codes and pre-arranged “driver lead chats about pit stops” are going to be fun to listen in on. I give it a year or so of everyone laughing at the conversations which are going on that they’ll have to change it back; remember how well no team orders worked “Felipe, Fernando is faster than you”.

willsy01

Eats Squid
What was the reasoning behind radio restrictions?
What a ridiculous rule.
Article 20.1 of the Sporting Regulations, states: “The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.”

I believe this rule has come about from the "unaided" portion of that. They are heavily guided by the pit wall.....time for them to think for themselves.

akashra

Eats Squid
I don't so much mind the restrictions on coaching, where I have concern is when the team wants them to preserve the engine and gearbox for fear of a failure that the drive has no way of knowing about. In an era where cost-reductions are in the forefront of every advancement, they will need to address the issue when the resulting destruction of engines etc could have been otherwise avoided by a notification from the team.

Outside of that though I'm not upset by the introduction of this rule - it just needs to be clear what's permitted and what is not.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Article 20.1 of the Sporting Regulations, states: “The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.”

I believe this rule has come about from the "unaided" portion of that. They are heavily guided by the pit wall.....time for them to think for themselves.
I see.
Been guided is not aiding the driving of the car, the driver is in full control unaided in the control of the car.

While they are heavily guided they sort of have to be, I mean the pit wall has all the data and the strategy, things change based on other drivers, in the cockpit you have no idea whats happening. If a driver needs to coast for a bit to secure a win instead of pitting (Dan at spa). Or waste the tires to come in earlier they need to know that.
To what extent do they put this rule in force, drivers are going to go out there blind, it will make for interesting racing but it sort of makes racing a pot luck situation, how does a driver know if they will need those tires in 10 laps time or not, its going to be more about chance and whose decisions happen to fall in line with luck of the day.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I don't so much mind the restrictions on coaching, where I have concern is when the team wants them to preserve the engine and gearbox for fear of a failure that the drive has no way of knowing about.
THis is the bit that worries me. In an age where there are such heavy penalties and restrictions for engine/gearbox changes/allocation and fuel usage it seems a little rough to take that ability to inform a driver away.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I see.
Been guided is not aiding the driving of the car, the driver is in full control unaided in the control of the car.

While they are heavily guided they sort of have to be, I mean the pit wall has all the data and the strategy, things change based on other drivers, in the cockpit you have no idea whats happening. If a driver needs to coast for a bit to secure a win instead of pitting (Dan at spa). Or waste the tires to come in earlier they need to know that.
To what extent do they put this rule in force, drivers are going to go out there blind, it will make for interesting racing but it sort of makes racing a pot luck situation, how does a driver know if they will need those tires in 10 laps time or not, its going to be more about chance and whose decisions happen to fall in line with luck of the day.
riiiiight. how to drivers in other motorsport's with no pit crew on the microphone handle it?

at the end of the day, it's a race... not poker.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I think that the definition of ‘assisting’ in the actual rule change will be quiet narrow as a blanket ban on providing data to the drivers will be too much of a change for the sport to handle (if nothing else a lot of engine and tyre stuff will get through as a safety item).

The whole issue started to bubble up after Rosberg asked his pit for some advice on where to find speed at Hockenheim (I think that it was there). The ban will probably be just around advising the driver of their relative speed in a certain sector / corner, anything more than that will be almost impossible to police effectively as there will be too many grey areas.

willsy01

Eats Squid
If the radio info is aiding them, then how are the pit boards, beeps in their ears for gear changes etc. not?
Pit boards aren't able to tell a driver (in one pass) the entry and exit diff settings, engine setting, torque map, where his team mate is faster, who is on what tyre and how old they are, that his rear left tyre is 2 degrees below its optimal temperature, that the brakes aren't up to temperature, how many burnouts he needs to do and for how long coming into the grid, the delta he needs to drive to, his fuel situation, the ERS harvest settings, whether he should lift and coast into corners to save fuel, which flat brim hat will be available for press conferences, if there are any ice creams left in the team truck and where his next triathlon is being held.

driftking

Wheel size expert
riiiiight. how to drivers in other motorsport's with no pit crew on the microphone handle it?

at the end of the day, it's a race... not poker.
don't those motorsports generally not involve pit strategy, ie moto gp etc and they rarely have tires and races as fine line as f1.
I see no issue with the Rosberg asking where to find speed. They spend practice studying graphs and all those factors, you might has well remove all the practice graphs and data to then, its no different them having all that aid over the weekend.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Surely this brings back up the discussion for long lasting tires again. If teams and drivers cannot really adjust to the tires, tire strategy becomes a bit of an issue.
It definitely looks like its a step towards the older days of having tires that are so hard that you no longer need to worry about strategy and instead just need to drive 100% on them scrapping every millisecond from the track lap after lap until the mandatory pit window.

I actually like the sound of that.