Formula One world championship

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Oh what a twisted web

Annaliese Dodds is a Member of European Parliament, representing the South East of England. Her constituency includes Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, East Sussex, West Sussex, Surrey and Kent. As such, she represents (at European level) a number of the Formula 1 teams. Alarmed by the failure of two F1 teams and alerted to potential problems by an article in The Times a few weeks ago that suggested that the FIA has been “neutered” by the deal to create the F1 Strategy Group, it seems that Dodds has written to the European Commission, saying that she has “grave concerns” about the governance of the sport. This has been developing at the same as a letter was sent from the small F1 teams to various parties in the sport, suggesting that there is “what is effectively a questionable cartel comprising, the Commercial Rights Holder, Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren and Williams”.

The accusation of a cartel was rejected by those involved in Abu Dhabi. They argued that the Strategy Group was a forum to discuss ideas, but they did have to admit that decisions made by this body have to be agreed by a vote and then go to the F1 Commission and the FIA World Council, although these two bodies have no right to change the proposals. They can only accept or reject them.

FIA President Jean Todt has already admitted that the FIA’s power to make rules no longer exists, telling media in Bahrain earlier in the year that “I do not have the power to change the regulations. I am convinced that Formula 1 is far too expensive, and that something should absolutely be done, but for us, as the governing body, we have more or less zero influence as to the costs.”

There is an odd contradiction there, isn’t there? We are the governing body, but we have no influence…

On its website the FIA says that it is “the governing body for motor sport worldwide” and “administers the rules and regulations for all international four-wheel motor sport including the FIA Formula 1 World Championship”. Elsewhere there are references to it being “the sole international body governing motor sport” with the “the exclusive right to take all decisions concerning the organisation, direction and management of international motor sport” and the claim that it will “organise the FIA Formula One World Championship which is the property of the FIA and comprises two titles of World Champion, one for drivers and one for constructors. The Championship and each of its Events is governed by the FIA in accordance with the regulations”.

And yet it cannot change the rules?

How does that work? Sporting federations are allowed to do as they please if they behave in a proper way, but back in 1999 there was a problem between Formula 1, the FIA and the European Commission over governance questions. There was eventually an agreement (in 2001) which stated that the FIA’s role would be “limited to that of a sports regulator, with no commercial conflicts of interest”.

Publicly, there is no obvious answer to the question of why the FIA cannot change the rules, but the answer seems to lie in a secret deal called the Concorde Implementation Agreement, which came into effect in the summer of 2013, creating the F1 Strategy Group. This excluded the smaller F1 teams from the decision-making process, gave Ferrari a right to veto rules and regulations, established the Strategy Group structure and granted the FIA the right to purchase a one percent shareholding in Delta Topco, the parent company of the Formula One group, which exploits the commercial rights of Formula 1, for something in the region of $450,000. One percent of the F1 Group is currently reckoned (on paper) to be worth $66 million and we believe that there was a further deal that granted the federation about $35 million in loan notes. On top of that the FIA received a one-off payment of $5 million, as a signing bonus.

This was all very convenient for Todt as he was facing an election at the time and this financial windfall pretty much guaranteed that no-one dared to stand against him. The problem is that the money that should one day come to the FIA is largely tied up until CVC Capital Partners – the owner of the Formula One group – decides to sell its shares, which would mean that the FIA could tag along or be dragged along in the sale process. It cannot do anything until that happens. One can only presume that the FIA, being cautious by nature, went to the Commission and asked if this deal was acceptable to the competition department.

Todt’s remarks in Bahrain set alarm bells ringing, but for those who wanted to get people digging into the problem, the timing was bad. The last European Commission was just coming to the end of its term of office and was winding down. A new Commission was put together in the autumn under Jean-Claude Juncker and this began work on November 1. It is interesting to note that The Times article was published on November 3, so whoever was stirring up trouble was not slow to go into action. Juncker’s Commissioner for Competition is Denmark’s Margrethe Vestager and it is believed that she has or will shortly meet Dodds for a discussion. There are even suggestions (that cannot be verified) that some of the teams have been summoned to talk to the Commission.

If the Commission decides that the deal is not acceptable, it could lead to the unstitching of the arrangements and perhaps to fines for the parties involved if they are deemed to have been in the wrong. In these matters, the commission is generally happier if deals can be struck without things needing to get hot and heavy, but if any of the parties involved offer too much resistance it could get ugly. The FIA does not really have the resources to pay big EU fines and while the Formula One group might have that kind of money, they are not going to be keen to spend it. The other problem is that the Commission is notoriously slow in its activities and although there may be many rumours it is unlikely that there will be any official movement for a year or two, if the last investigation is anything to go by. Perhaps the Commission is now more efficient…

Having said that if there are hints of trouble in the media, floating the Formula One group is not going to be easy (although that is pretty unlikely already given the mess that F1 is in at the moment) and this may also mean that the trouble coincides with the next FIA Presidential Election at the end of 2017, which would make life difficult for Todt and those who supported the decision to do this deal.

I hear from the Strategy Group meeting today that there was barely a discussion (and no agreement) about how to help the small teams which will not do anything to get them to stop whatever they are doing. And there are suggestions that the trouble may not be coming from the teams but rather from dissident elements within the FIA that do not like the way that Todt does business.

Time will tell if there is any meat in this potential barbecue…

Joe Saward, November 26, 2014

Things get a little complicated when a bit of money is at stake!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I forgot to mention something I noticed in the last race: When Loldonado's car shit itself, there was a local yellow. I saw the fire marshals run from the opposite side of the track in the second last turn to get to the car, effectively they ran across from the run off area on the exit of the corner. Surely there's a rule against that because ah, maybe someone will get cut and half and create a mess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4AURqC728

akashra

Eats Squid
Prototype 1 and GT on a course like Interlagos simultaneously was always going to result in an accident like that occurring.

madstace

Likes Dirt
:bored:

i'm not 100% sure, but the exact circumstances of the crash haven't been revealed yet... who knows what sent the porsche sliding off the track.

he also managed to qualify in pole... but dont let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Yep exactly. I just don't get the Webber hate here. IMHO you don't need to win the world championship to be a champion, but it seems you also don't need to be the best to experience that classic Aussie tradition of tall poppy syndrome...:noidea:

crash3

Likes Dirt
don't need to be the best to experience that classic Aussie tradition of tall poppy syndrome...:noidea:
Probably coz 'Strayans (not to be confused with Australians) are gigantic wankers who think anyone a tiny bit unlike them is worthless and should leave the country.

Webber always seemed pretty honest and genuine to me, but I definitely don't think he was the most talented driver on the grid at any point.

-Jacob

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Oh God, here we go again with the Webber hate....................

None of the footage has shown what happened prior to the cars getting into the fence so any speculation is purely trivial. One thing is for; the WEC is fuckloads more interesting than an F1 race.

Suprez

Likes Dirt
Any chance Jenson Button could end up filling the void left in the Audi team with Tom Kristensen's retirement?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Any chance Jenson Button could end up filling the void left in the Audi team with Tom Kristensen's retirement?
I remember hearing the commentators saying some young guy is getting the nod from the Audi program.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/article/factory-incident-update

Christian Horner: "We are obviously devastated by this serious factory break in, which saw offenders drive a vehicle through our front entrance and steal more than 60 trophies which took years and hard work to accumulate.

"The break-in caused significant damage and was very upsetting for our night officers who were on duty at the time. The offenders took items that not only did not belong to them, but which represented the efforts of a group of dedicated, hard-working individuals.

"Beyond the aggressive nature of this break-in, we are perplexed why anyone would take these trophies. The value to the team is of course extraordinarily high due to the sheer hard work and effort that went into winning each and every one. But their intrinsic value is low; they would be of little benefit to those outside of the team and, in addition to that, many of the trophies on display were replicas.

"The actions of these men mean it's likely that we will have to make our site less accessible in the future, which will be unfair on the hundreds of fans that travel to visit our factory each year to see our trophies and our Formula One car.

"We would like to appeal to anyone who knows any information on the whereabouts of these trophies or the offenders involved to contact Thames Valley Police."
A rival F1 team perhaps? Maybe some of Seb's mates?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm pretty sure all those Santander trophies will be worth a small fortune on the black market once they are stripped down to the bare cardboard, plastic, glitter and sticky tape.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It seems like an odd thing to want to steal, I dare say it's for the thrill of the catch rather than it's value. Who would want a trophy for something they have nothing to do with earning? Either way, it's an epic haul!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The Danish press have also been invited to the announcement. That could be the start of the riot................
I really hope this Honda McLaren thing isn't another B.A.R episode where the car sounded great but performed like shit. I can see that car being this year's Lotus. If that's the case, I hope that's a one year deal Fernando!!!!

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meh. It's time to move on for JB.

Prediction for JB 2015:

- mostly mid pack results
- a couple of good qualifying results
- no podiums
- be thoroughly outdriven by Alonso
- will continue to be charming and british

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The Danish press have also been invited to the announcement. That could be the start of the riot................
I really hope this Honda McLaren thing isn't another B.A.R episode where the car sounded great but performed like shit. I can see that car being this year's Lotus. If that's the case, I hope that's a one year deal Fernando!!!!
he supposedly has an escape clause if the car is a bucket of shit.

Meh. It's time to move on for JB.

Prediction for JB 2016:

- mostly mid pack results
- a couple of good qualifying results
- no podiums
- be thoroughly outdriven by Alonso
- will continue to be charming and british
bang on the mark i'd say.
i'm not sure if it's just the BBC have stopped playing his radio messages, but he seems to be whinging less.

there was one race a couple of years back, my fiancee looked at me funny where he complained about his tyres... on the warm up lap.

Last edited: