Forrest Festival 2011

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I'm in a similar position. 24hr events don't attract me, but a stage race at Forrest sounds totally excellent. I will most certainly be there with my best bells, brass knobs, and party dress on.
Whilst we would be keen on doing a 24 hour event as a team of 4 in the future (BTW anyone interested?!), the stage race format is something that really appeals right now. After having so much fun at Bike Buller and hearing Josie's (ie. +1 :) ) rave review of the stage race in NT, this race is going to be SO much fun!

Accomodation booked, just got to enter now! :)

quiggs

Likes Dirt
So I should give up on trying to get Josie to debut at Redesdale in the solo 24hr category then!!

Forrest Club

I don't understand why the Forrest club did not change it's event to the 20th November? FGP made the date significant before Forrest Club came along. An assertion that they attract different riders is obviously in question as people are making choices on this forum.
24 hour world champion (retired) supporting events against Victoria's only iconic 24 hour event? I just don't understand why people do this on purpose and then post ........ implausible and sef effacing posts?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I don't understand why the Forrest club did not change it's event to the 20th November? FGP made the date significant before Forrest Club came along. An assertion that they attract different riders is obviously in question as people are making choices on this forum?
Read the full thread - norm has written one reply about the date.

There will always be a section of riders who will be torn between the two events-that's unavoidable. Is it in the majority? Dunno, but there's what, 2 pages of discussion? I would hardly say thats plenty. Most posts seem to be about being excited about the race-I know I am.

You can't please everyone - trying to do so and you end up pleasing noone.

Mate it is what it is. Just make a decision about entering one of the events and enjoy it! Whinging about it makes you sound like a grumpy old man

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't understand why the Forrest club did not change it's event to the 20th November? FGP made the date significant before Forrest Club came along. An assertion that they attract different riders is obviously in question as people are making choices on this forum.
24 hour world champion (retired) supporting events against Victoria's only iconic 24 hour event? I just don't understand why people do this on purpose and then post ........ implausible and sef effacing posts?
It's very easy to sit back and complain, but I would suggest that unless you have ever tried to organise a large scale event, you are probably not qualified to whinge.
I would guess that there are many, many factors that contribute to when an event can be held. Clashing with other events would just be one of many.

Both events sound great. Give the whinging a rest, pick an event and have a ball.

fergo

Likes Dirt
... 24 hour world champion (retired) supporting events against Victoria's only iconic 24 hour event? ...
That should read "24 hour world champion (current) ..."

While JessD doesn't need people to defend her, innaccurate statements alone make you sound like a ... well .. totalIdiot!! :D

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Assumption
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look up assumption in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

In logic an assumption is a proposition that is taken for granted, as if it were true based upon presupposition without preponderance of the facts.

Roland

akashra

Eats Squid
It's very easy to sit back and complain, but I would suggest that unless you have ever tried to organise a large scale event, you are probably not qualified to whinge.
But let's be honest, there's very few in the MTB community who have actually organised a true 'large scale' event. There's a lot in this community who have held events for 300-400 entries and love to stand on their pedestal throwing rocks down at everyone else, when the reality is... sorry bud, not that huge an accomplishment in the grand scheme of things.
Call back when you've been involved in events with 30,000 attendees or 80,000 spectators :)

Everyone has the right to complain, listening to that complaining rather than telling them to stfu is how we make events better. If you want to stop the complaining, make your event perfect.

Exie

Likes Dirt
I don't understand why the Forrest club did not change it's event to the 20th November? FGP made the date significant before Forrest Club came along.
I dont mean to inflame the debate here, but nobody owns any license to use a date exclusively. There's no monopoly on bike events. I think its great that the sport is growing and riders have choice. There are now so many events running, quite a number overlap on a regular basis during summer.

This is a pretty personal attack. You've clearly identified the JessD, but lacked the courage to name them, which I presume makes you feel better about putting this comment in.

If your agenda really is about the overlapping events, your point was made. Its a childish / desperate act to resort to this. If you want to try name calling or throwing sticks and stones you should save it for the sandpit when your playing with the other kiddies. Event organizers should be prepared to share a date, weather its the motor show, flower & garden expo or Tour De France. The focus should be on creating an opportunity for people to go riding. If you can offer something unique or special about your event, all the better, let consumers have a choice. The market is big enough for both.

If there were 10 events on the one day, that might be a different matter. 2 events is fine. From my perspective, its all supporting more people riding. More bums on seats is a good thing.

Exie

Likes Dirt
Call back when you've been involved in events with 30,000 attendees or 80,000 spectators :)
Really ? where is this MTB event with 30,000 attendees .... that'd be a pretty awesome vibe. Haven't been to one like that myself. Do tell!

PS. You should join this show down at "earth", nearly 7bn people there, it's unreal!

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Everyone has the right to complain, listening to that complaining rather than telling them to stfu is how we make events better. If you want to stop the complaining, make your event perfect.
People's suggestions or feedback can be useful, however not sure how useful a complaint like "why is this event on this day?" is.......

People have the right to complain but they can also be ignored :)

macboy

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately bitching is easier than doing. It takes less training and can be done from the comfort of one's own soapbox.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being the person who opened this can of worms, can I make a request that we now keep this shit out of this thread please. Start another if you need to keep arguing.

I apologize profusely to the organisers.

Show some f****** respect.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being the person who opened this can of worms, can I make a request that we now keep this shit out of this thread please. Start another if you need to keep arguing.

I apologize profusely to the organisers.

Show some f****** respect.
stevob, we are just mtbers having a discussion about something we are all passionate about. It's was a fair question to ask re: dates, clashes etc, and organisers have defended their reasoning. Fair enough.

Its given riders an opportunity to ask questions and that can only benefit their event. That's partly what these forums are all about I reckon. So stevob we salute you.

Last edited:

JessD

Likes Dirt
Good Morning!

As stated:
Forrest is a growing tourism based town in the otways.
History of the trails here is older than even I really know, however a few years back now the state govt earmarked the town as being suitable for MTB "tourism" and injected some cashola for some pretty cool trail building to go on.
The concept was that if their was something built, a flow on would occur, people would come and ride them, private investment would occur and in a matter of time, employment and reasons to live and play in the town called Forrest would be a natural progression.
Forrest used to be a logging hub, with a big wood mill that worked on the hardwood logging. The same govt that gave money to the trails also stopped the hard wood logging in the otways. The mill played a huge part of the income stream of this town and I have been told the drone of the wood mills was there one minute and switched off the next never to be heard again.

My point?

Thank you to Snozza and his crew at FGP for the vision and investment of running the Jeep24hr the past 3 years, Thank you to John and Sam at Rapid Ascent for your investment in running the Otway Odyssey the past 5 years.
You have both shown that it is worthwhile to use the area, the trails, the infrastructure, the accommodation, the food venues, the local Lions club and footy club, etc..etc...etc...
Now its ok for us locals here in FORREST to keep the flow going.

Choosing this weekend - this date that is so controversial, has many many factors that had to be considered....and you dont think that there was prior consideration to any other events that were on? Forgive us please!

Its great for the town, great for Forrest, great for the local govt, state govt to see that its time to invest in the town too after the seed was planted a few years back.

Enjoy your bike, ride it because its fun, spread the love not hate, only ask questions with the genuine need for an answer and not speculate on hear say or just joining the bandwagon.

Have a good day peeps.
Yes my name is Jess Douglas, I live in Forrest and have been here 4yrs now.
My husband Norm Douglas and I moved here partly because of the trails and could see the prospects to earn an income for sure!
We live an honest hard working life and I get to train mid week on my bike.

adz

Likes Dirt
I have a small request.

Could you please shift the Forrest festival races to early Sat Morn and Late Sun arvo?

I would like to enter your race AND the 24hr at Redesdale (Sp?)

Both on a fully rigid single speed of course. I am tossing up between a onesie and compression socks or a stig outfit. Anyone?

From now on i will be named Nuwanda.